Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shee isnt starting....
just bought it off a guy a week ago. started fine for me and him. took it home....didnt start.....i waited a day and tried starting it again....and it did....tried starting it the next day.....started fine.....keep in mind i have not drove it yet....just have been starting it.....

so this weekend took it up to wisconsin to try her out.....couldnt get it started....

for some reason i think it might be something with the wiring (kill switch)? any way to easily check this? when i kick start it, it sounds the same when the kill switch is either on or off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, from the sounds of it - it doesn't want to start after each time it is hauled elsewhere; my guess would be that your float is sticking open a little bit, causeing your plug to get wet with fuel, essentially fouling the plug. After sitting for a while, the plug will dry out, and will then be able to fire again. after transporting the bike, pull the plug and see if it is wet. if so, adjust the carb. easy fix for the time being would be to pull the plug, burn excess fuel off, put the plug back in, and fire 'er up.

hope this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me mention a couple more things...

it didnt start in wisconsin the three days i was up there. so i let it sit for 3 days and still no start.. i forgot to mention when i first got to my destination after transporting bike, it did start for about 10 seconds then died. i couldnt start after that....

still fouled out plugs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
to bypass the kill switch, follow the wires from the kill switch until you find a connection point; on mine, there are simply a male and female connection for each wire.

disconnect the kill switch at this point, and connect the 2 wires coming from the end going to the heart of the bike. With these 2 wires connected, you have a closed circuit with no kill switch interference. To kill the bike afterwards - just choke it til it dies out, or turn your fuel off. Or just pop the clutch and stall it...

Also, with your further explanation, it doesn't sound like it is only a fouled plug - Do you shut your fuel off after riding/when storing/transporting?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that... and when you say heart of the bike....exactly where would that be? (pic maybe?)

and yes i shut my fuel off...why what are you thinking?
this is getting me to go insane....more and more i think about it, i think this kid ripped me off....but oh well, got to deal with it....

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I say 'the heart of the bike' i mean towards the motor. You'll have a 2 wires coming from somewhere on the chassis and going to the kill switch. find the connector, jump the 2 wires, and you'll be in buisness. I was just stating that so that you didn't just the wires going to the kill switch - because, well - that would do nothing.

Doesn't sound like you got ripped of yet - keep an optimistic view point and hope that it is just a fuel problem.

The reason why I asked if you turned your fuel off was so that the issue with fuel continually flowing through the carb could be taken out of the picture.

Change your plug, by-pass the kill switch, and give it a whirl -

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i should be able to pop the clutch on this and start it by someone pulling me right? does it need to be in gear or can it be in nuetral?

·
Registered
92 Posts
just put it in first, pull the clutch in, and have some one pull you (not fast. about 5-10 mph) then let the clutch go and give it a little bit of gas. it should start then. why do you need to jump start it? it won't kick start?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
correct, if you read my original post it explains...
i just got done testing the resistance on the ignition/dimmer switch...
now im going to bypass the kill switch and see if it starts....

·
Registered
15 Posts
no no no - you shouldn't have to push/pull start it - at all. Bypass the kill switch, change the plug, check spark; if spark is good - start kickin'. Simple pop the clutch to STALL it once you get 'er fired up.... since you will not have a kill switch at that point....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, im getting spark on only one plug...
so i changed the plug that wasnt getting spark to a new one....now i am getting a little spark...other one still sparks more...
but shouldnt it fire on one cylinder if i have only one good plug?

anyways, what do i do from here? cdi? could take the boot off and see if i have wire showing?

·
Loves to 2 stroke smoke
253 Posts
okay, so you figured out it was electrical now you need to find out where the problem is, first check the spark plug coils, and rips in the wire. after that check the pickup gap on the stator, it shoud be between .16 and .18

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just want to let everyone know that the throttle cable was causing the problem....
you guys ever hear of this? it is in the manual but i dont understand why the throttle cable would cause no spark?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not familiar with Banshee's at all what-so-ever. from the sounds of it, they may have a seconday safety switch down near the carbs. I know Yamaha does this on some of their snowmobiles, but I dunno about their quads.

Either way - congrats on figurin it out!

·
DEY TUK ER JUBBS
3,224 Posts
unplug your tors box, it's located on the same rail as the coil except on the left side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
to bypass the kill switch, follow the wires from the kill switch until you find a connection point; on mine, there are simply a male and female connection for each wire.

disconnect the kill switch at this point, and connect the 2 wires coming from the end going to the heart of the bike. With these 2 wires connected, you have a closed circuit with no kill switch interference. To kill the bike afterwards - just choke it til it dies out, or turn your fuel off. Or just pop the clutch and stall it...

Also, with your further explanation, it doesn't sound like it is only a fouled plug - Do you shut your fuel off after riding/when storing/transporting?
Hey man, can you walk me through this stuff on my 86 trx250r I just want to bypass the kill switch and I'm getting so confused.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts