Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
The hourly rate doesn’t matter much; its how quickly the work is completed that really matters. You need to ask around about the quality of work which is turned out.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Crank Works is another option.

My other LT250 (88) I had them do a 4mm stroke on my crank.

It came back looking like a brand new one..unfortunately it wasn't a super speedy turn around. But excellent !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
:KP: I just want to get back to riding. This is so depressing because my neighbor is cutting all of his corn out of the fields and I am able to ride there. I am going to do a lot of looking around. I still hope its just the piston/cylinder, which seems to be less of a headache.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
how did the crank feel when you pulled the cyl. off. did the motor spin freely ? What did the piston look like?
Was the cylinder bore scored? Piston rings? Did the rod move freely ? If the rod is binding then it's a bad crank rod bearing...meaning the cases hafta be split to do the the repair... Sorry but ....need more info...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
how did the crank feel when you pulled the cyl. off. did the motor spin freely ? What did the piston look like?
Was the cylinder bore scored? Piston rings? Did the rod move freely ? If the rod is binding then it's a bad crank rod bearing...meaning the cases hafta be split to do the the repair... Sorry but ....need more info...
I didn't even get that far yet, I've been working 12hr days all week and still got one more to go tomorrow. I got the exhaust removed from the cylinder and it looks like there is a vertical groove in the piston. I don't know if the piston is supposed to be smooth all the way around with no vertical markings or what. I never saw a piston up close before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay. By next weekend I should have the cap and cylinder off. If I take some pictures and send them to you John would you be able to tell me if I need your expertise or if I need to dig deeper?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So the piston shattered and the cylinder is fine. How do I get the left over metal out of the crank? Have someone split it or can it be flushed out?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Rider; your piston is for a 70mm bore, the difference is the skirt clearance. 70 - 69.925 = .075mm = .075 x .03937= .00295” Rounded to .003” skirt clearance.

You need to determine what the bore diameter is now before the piston size can be decided. This is where you need the correct measuring tools or find a mechanic who does.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
If it is a Wiseco piston there will be a stamping on the top of the piston. You might need some carb. cleaner and a brush to clean the carbon off.

Also.. The '86 used thrust washers on the top rod between the piston and rod. Check them to see the condition of them.

What do the reeds look like, condition wise ? They are located on the bottom of the cylinder.

Cleaning wise, I've gotten away with carb. cleaner to cut the oil and remove the debris using an air blower but, you need some good air pressure. When I did it, I removed the engine so I could tip it upside down to flush it out before using the air, also soapy water to remove any additional dirt or metal shavings and the blow it out good and repeat with carb. or brakleen and blow it out and finally spray the inside with wd-40 to keep it protected.

Check your crank rod for play and smooth movement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Its the factory piston. And at least 1/4 of the piston shattered and dropped into the lower part of the engine. The reeds look perfectly fine. Bit I was told that the small pieces of metal would be hard to get out of the crank. The crank moves smoothly from what I can tell.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
You might consider hanging the machine upside down & giving a good blast of compressed air. 0
I’ll bet that the cylinder needs a bore?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The cylinder actually doesn't look bad what so ever. theres no gouges, or anything, it looks pretty damn symmetrical. I was contemplating having someone split the engine and put new bearings and crank seals in it. I guess we'll see, it all depends on how much money I can come up with in the next 2 months. I found a guy he wants about $500 for a new piston, honing, splitting the engine, bearings and crank seals plus labor oh and wrist pin bearings.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Cylider Measurments

I’m only a machinist who specializes in cylinder repairs. As I said in earlier posts; just because your cylinder looks OK & symmetrical, doesn’t mean that it is. You need to have things properly measured; Looks don’t mean much, numbers don’t lie.
:Grin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh I know. A lot my my questioning was just in general, for anyone who might have answers. I still have you in mind Mr. Tice

21 - 40 of 63 Posts