Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother and I were riding over the weekend and my quad just died and wouldn't restart, we tried popping the clutch to try getting it to run and everytime it would start but bog out right away. I pulled the plug and cleaned it up and let it sit for a few days. I tried kicking it last night to get it going and nothing. We tried popping the clutch today to get it to run same issues but now the kickstart wont kick its like its locked up and anytime I try to pop the clutch the rear tires just lock up. Can someone please help. Idk wtf to do and no one wants to help me.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
It sounds like a crank rod bearing failure or broken piston.
When the lower rod needle bearing get too much play, they tend to shift sideways thusfore causing the motor to lock up.
Unfortunately, it loos like the motor has to come apart.

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks, I'll start with the crank rod and then move my way to the piston. Kind of ticks me off because I just bought the damn thing and haven't been able to ride it much yet.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Wisco; since the top end comes off first, you may not need to look any further. As Mghty has already noted, anything can be stuck on you. Since examining is first, so is your cylinder. Hopefully not much is damaged.
JT
:NodYes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. I will start there. Thanks for the help. If I need it done how much does boring and a new piston run on average? Is there any other model quad that the piston will work?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
What have you got; year, make & model? Piston choices; OEM, Wiesco, Wossner, ProX & misc. others. Wiesco & Wossner are forged; all the others are cast, they all work fine. Forged pistons are 4-5 times stronger if you run the snot out of your machine. Shop around for your pistons; sometimes ebay has a hot deal on excess inventory. What size; ask a rebuilder if you don’t know yourself.
Cylinder bore around $50.00; I do mail order every day if you don’t know where to go, with some deals on pistons. Whoever you see; know that they bore & hone cylinders Round & Straight. Know that they hone with something better than an Egg Beater.
For problems down in the basement; ask someone else who rebuilds bottom ends.
JT www.smallenginemachineworks.com
:NodYes:

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
The 85-86 pistons and cylinders are totally different as also the crankshaft and rod assy.
87 has a larger intake (won't fit)
88-92 has a smaller intake (won't fit)

If you have a bad rod bearing and need the crank to be rebuilt, you can use an 88-92 rod with some other things to make it an 8mm. "long rod" NOT STROKER motor.

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I just started taking it apart today. I didn't get too far because I had to go back to work this afternoon. How do I know whats bad and whats not? I've never worked on a quad engine before only minor car engine work.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
If you know of a good reliable motor cycle shop, they might be able to do it.

I rebuilt mine myself but I had access to a press, dial indicator, etc.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
If you're gonna have the crank rebuilt and want to spend just a little bit more, I'll give you the info on how to make your motor a "Long Rod" set-up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Call and talk to Vince @ http://www.mrcrankshaft.com/crankshafts.html
He has rebuilt cranks ready to go, or he can rebuild yours. He has done both for me. Highly recommended. Never had an issue.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. I'm kind of shopping around. A place around here wants $85 per hour. I still have yet to get past taking off the cylinder cap. Gotta love work weeks!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts