Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow lt250 owners. I just picked up an '86 lt250r. After riding it a bit I couldn't resist. Thing is the petcock (fuel on/off valve) broke after riding it. It was extremely difficult to turn to begin with but it started right up, was running really good, idling fine, this thing is FAST. Parked it back in the owners garage and after letting it sit for awhile decided to try to start her up again and the petcock was nearly impossible to turn and seems to have broken in my attempt to turn it the second time to start it up again. Now barely a trickle of gas comes out of the fuel tube (disconnected from carb) when dial is in the on (or fuel for that matter) position and it won't start. Question is what's my best option to replace? OEM or acceptable after market? Rebuild?

I'm definitely going to have a ton more questions but this is obviously the most pressing at the moment. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
:Cheers:

PS: The fuel is gravity fed correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second question. The rear shock is known to be bad, which is all good and ultimately I can replace it if need be. What are the chances that it just needs a nitrogen refill? I would imagine that it shouldn't just leak over time and so I'm thinking it will have to be replaced but if I wanted to have it filled to check for leaks what psi should it be filled to? I've read just north of 200 psi is "stock" for these quads, does that make sense?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww..No one? I realize my questions aren't super technical (borderline duh?) but I'm a complete newb so please bear with me. This thing's getting completely resto'd/moded over the winter but for now I just want to get it ready for a camping/riding trip in Oct. Petcock and rear shock for now...Thanks again :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you try cleaning the filter inside of the petcock yet? Mine has an in line extra petcock for some reason, so maybe that could be an option for you.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
You could get a Pingel aftermarket petcock. however you would hafta install it in a different location, like the other side of the tank.
That's what I did for my 88 LT250 because It's a drag quad and I needed much more fuel volume being that I run Alky. in that one.

Like LTSTEVE said, you could pull the petcock out of the tank, clean the screen..position it to open and install a inline petcock from a lawnmower shop or I think that Walmart may have one in their garden dept. It's a little inline twist style ...I got one for my rototiller but, can't remember where I got it. Pretty sure it was Walmart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, was super relieved to find these forums when I was thinking about making this 250 mine. Read through a lot of the existing existing threads before posting and ya guys know your stuff.

So the carb is gravity fed then? Really any dial type valve 2in1out would work but I'd like to keep it somewhat stock. Rode again today and it started right up after sitting for a few days. Parked it and let it sit for a moment with fuel flow cut off and had a hell of a time getting it started again. Did notice the dial on petcock is leaking around edges (very slightly) bad seal in there. What
I found was that by giving it a lot of throttle on kick it would start right up, unchoke and would idel for days. So it seems to me the issue is with fuel deliver because I really shouldn't have to bury the throttle to start it...right? My suspicion is still with the petcock possibly the filters in tank, maybe the carb, all gonna get inspected. Did read a post here on the forums where similar issues arise if the electrical(s) aren't grounding cleanly, totally forgot to check the contact point. Having too much fun riding. Sadly I won't have it in my garage till tomorrow. Thought I saw a link to digital version of the owners manual but haven't found it
again, am I crazy or is there?

Definitely not gonna be bored this winter. Love this little 250.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh also interested in this extra inline petcock. We talking the same unit that's attached to the tank, that's weird. If that's what were talking about though, pm me.

Another question. I've read that having a can of starter spray is a good idea. Carb cleaner work or should it be "starter spray?" My feeling on that is I shouldn't have to use an ignition booster like that, really should just start right up (ideally). Can't wait to dig into this project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cant seem to find a way to post a picture of it on my phone, even imageshacked it. Samsung galaxy s5 wont let me paste it! Damn stupid/smartphones!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lt250r has landed, in my garage, actually landed Sunday. The petcock's fine, though very slightly leaky. Everything's good minus a slight hesitation jumping into the power-band and a rear shock that needs to be rebuilt. The rear shock nitrogen reservoir may need some love too. Is the cap supposed to depress into the cylinder? Had it filled and somehow after a fill the cap actually got wedged in there crooked, not sure what happened but it's not looking good. Was known to leak anyways and did leak all of the nitrogen that was put in it if any actually made it in. Can the reservoir be repaired? Can one simply "install" a new reservoir? Still, extremely happy with my purchase. Got a great deal and the engine is solid just needs some tuning to get rid of the hesitation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh also what's the typical oil to fuel ration on a stock engine? To my knowledge it has stock bore on the piston chamber and seems to have good compression on post kick prime cycles. Again, I'll be cracking open the motor over the winter so I KNOW it's good to go. Rode around the block quick on wet pavement (after rain), not suggesting anyone do that but....so much FUN!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyways, the manual is on this site, be prepare for a night of downloading and printing tho. Search 86 lt250r, its there.
Manual says 20:1, i run 32 and smoke like crazy. New oil is better than 86 oils. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts