Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worked on aircraft both piston and turbine and consider myself quite able mechanically, however I am in the learning process of small two cycle engines, mostly chainsaws, and have become intrigued with the small two stroke engines. I have just recently taken one completely apart and have some questions on both crankcase seals and porting. I'm not talking about changing the porting just that I am looking at the engine and it seems that the piston doesn't go low enough to allow for fuel intake looking at the intake port. I took the engine apart because it wasn't getting crankcase pressure and vacuum to get the carburetor to have fuel flow. Like I said I'm new to this cycle and don't truly know what I'm looking at. Glad to join a forum that I will get some answers from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is probably pure piston port intake w/o a reed valve The piston skirt uncovers the port for abut 130 degrees which is 65 before TDC and 65 after
OK is that part of the cylinder where the fresh fuel goes up the side of the cylinder and the port from the carb never really is above the piston? That would explain my question, thank you for the explanation. These small two cycle engines don't operate anything like what I have experience with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm starting to understand this two stroke cycle. The engine intake is in the last part of the compression stroke and the cylinder intake is during the last part of the exhaust stroke. This is all new learning for me and I'm truly amazed with this process, thanks for the help.

Why is this waiting for moderator approval?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts