Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I know this should be in the 'bike specific' section, but I feel jetting is a wider topic than just one bike :NodYes:.

Ok, the average jetting for a GasGas EC300 is;

40-42 pilot
CEK needle 2nd / 3rd clip
172-175 main

in a PWK 38 carb.

My bike is currently;

40 pilot
CEK 2nd clip
170 main

In this needle position, idle is perfect, but off idle power is weak, if I go to 3rd clip, I need to turn the air screw out 3 turns to idle, but off idle throttle response is sharp.

Also in the bikes current set up, at medium speed road riding (lower revs, higher gears) the bike feels weak when I open the throttle (buuuwaaaaaaaaa, lean), but at low speed / thrashing through the gears as if on dirt, the bike pulls like a raped ape. Is it possible that you would just jet differently for either situation, or am I doing something wrong here?

I've trialed 38 - 40 - 42 pilot jet, with the needle in 2nd clip, 40pj is 1.5 turns out on air screw.

Also, I jumped from 180 main to 175, it felt a lot better, and I've now jumped to 170, and in all situations bar high gear, low speed, wide open throttle, it feels better, it revs higher and cleaner than before. BUT, it feels slightly weaker at 3/4 throttle, would this indicate needing a richer needle?

HELP PLEASE!!!

Crank seals are good, running 13:1 compression with 1.2mm squish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could be in need of a different needle, but whenever I get stuck in a spot like yours... I always start over from the pilot just in case.
In my experiences (07 CR250 with a 38PWK) to get my bike crisp in the trees where I do alot of lugging, I had to have a pilot which would correlate to an air screw setting of no more than 1 turn out. I can't explain it, but any more than 1 out and I would have some mushy spot or glitch I couldn't tune out.
Another option is to make a small washer so you can get a half clip position between 2nd and 3rd looking for that sweet spot on your needle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you forgot all about the slide cutaway. That's what I would of changed if the needle was set right for mid throttle running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts