Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, been having some trouble getting the 250R to fire. I checked air, fuel, and spark; all fine. I would get a kickback or a backfire if it actually attempted to ignite. I hadn't gotten around to doing a compression test before reading about woodruff keys on here and decided to check mine.

I pulled the flywheel and found a worn out, small, but functioning key so I decided to replace it. I pulled the stator to install the woodruff key and found the back of the mount was covered in brown oil and grime from a leaking seal.

Now the question is, other than all new bearings and seals in the bottom end; What else do I replace? I know I will need to check for play in the shafts. Do I pull the transmission apart too?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would suggest maybe before you pull everything apart and the motor is still in tact run a leakdown test to see what potential other places could be leaking. That way you dont put it all back together and find out you have some dumb leak somewhere and have to pull it all back apart. Trust me, been there and done that lol!!! :Dope:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll do that. I've seen a few posts about how to do it so I'll get the plugs and pump gauge to test it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
as mentioned, the leakdown test before ya go any further.

one can only assume that the seal went out due to a slack crank bearing? ofcourse that may not be the case.... while ya are at it, ya may want to check the large and small end bearings on the counter balancer

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you've never had the cases apart it may be wise to do the transmission bearings as well, chances are they may be original.
atleast do a thorough inspection of them. :Cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll check those as well. Thanks guys. It feels like I'm moving backwards on this project at the moment haha.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok, I'll check those as well. Thanks guys. It feels like I'm moving backwards on this project at the moment haha.
Haha trust me I know that feeling all to well! I'm sure everyone who works on their own stuff does. It's just better to go backwards all at once instead of completing a project and having issues that could have been prevented lol!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Did the leak-down test today. Motor epic failed. Wouldn't hold 6 psi for 10 seconds. Blew right through the crank seals. Time to tear it down!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts