Everything2Stroke Forum banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like I have some work to do posting here. John, you asked what the advantages were with the Van Norman CB1401 and I'll try to explain what I like about them. They're more of a bench model bar. The big advantage here is that you can see what you're working on. The bar is under the clamping section rather than above it. I have the stand that came with the Kwick Way and I find it very cumbersome bending over all the time to verify set up and location. Another thing I like about the Van Norman is the centering and clamping system. Kwick Way centers the cylinder with 3 "cats paws" and locks the cylinder into place with the lower "vice " section of the stand. Most of this is happening and it's very difficult to see what's going on. The Van Norman centers the cylinder with a precision cone that slides over the bar and centers the cylinder from the top of the cylinder. Once clamped to the machine table, it's very easy to drop an indicator into the bore. Securing the cylinder is a breeze with the two quick adjust clamps. I'll take another shot at some pics. I also like the variable feed option. The Kwick way has one feed option and two speed options. The Van Norman has two speeds and infinite feed rates. Lastly, I feel the measuring equipment is more accurate than what I have for my Kwick Way.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
OConnor; what’s your real name? Your comments are wonderful & many of us hope that you continue your input. What is the diameter of your bar spindle? I can readily see how doing a quickie single cylinder bore is an easy project. If my machinery dealer had started me on other equipment back in 1972 perhaps I’d be doing things differently.

Your machine appears to be a Kwik Way model FW, with range starting at 2.2”. I see spacer bars beneath the machine which are unnecessary.
We’ve sleeved & bored a 4-1/2” bore Franklin 4 cylinder Sea-Bee aircraft sea plane engine. Also a few Lincoln 10 cylinder Zeffer blocks. The model FW is an everyday work horse which any shop who does a variety of projects would love to own. I’ve got one in each shop with a spare in the back room. The beauty of the Kwik Way FW’s & larger is that the tool kit comes with the hold down clamping attachments for boring large automotive & compressor blocks. All of the larger Kwik Way brand machines use the same tool bits & centering fingers.

I can say that your bench top machine is a little light weight for the kinds of work that we now do. This is a good thing that you are able to display other types of equipment. Is the Van Norman bench top machine still manufactured? Kwik Way has been out of production for some time now & some parts are difficult to come by. A good thing about Kwik Way machines is that they don’t wear out.

Having information about different kinds of machines can help a dealer thinking about getting involved in the cylinder repair business. Any other photos are more than welcomed. I always like to mention that cylinder boring is only ½ of the business; the other ½ is the finish honing equipment. The new to the cylinder business operation can drop $10K in equipment “Quick as a Wink”. The return on investment can also be very rewarding as the $$$$ comes back rather quickly. As the word gets around about the additional skills; your company will grow as your capabilities increase. The each shop has a boring bar has been waning away since the plated cylinder came into regular production. I can also say that we are busier than ever at this time. Plated cylinders haven’t slowed down anything.

Any of you wishing to have a conversation about the cylinder repair business is more than welcomed to giving me a call after dinner in the evening. 503-593-2908, John Tice

John Tice
503-593-2908 Alternate 541-508-3944
www.smallenginemachineworks.com & www.nwsleeve.com
Turning Custom Cylinder Sleeves Since 1971
Division of Tice Industries Inc.
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/threads/49513-How-It-s-Done-Projects-around-the-Shop.com

:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My real name is Ken OConnor and I own Ken OConnor Racing located in Connecticut. I've been involved in motocross racing and engine machine work for over 35 years. On an average, we bore / sleeve 7 – 10 cylinders per week. We also offer crankshaft rebuilding, cylinder head modifications, valve jobs, flow bench testing, cylinder porting, engine assemblies, custom race engines, welding,and custom fabrication, We also manufacture 98 different CNC porting templates for the “do it yourself” guys that want try porting on their own. Many people know me as “The You tube Guy”. My channel features over 90 videos for the DIY people. The vids cover anything from cylinder porting to full engine assemblies.

The spindle diameter of the Van Norman is 1.480”. The spindle has an anti vibration unit that allows a bore of up to 4”. Anything larger than that, goes to the Kwik Way. I also have an auxiliary bar for the Kwik Way that will allow bores as small as 1.5”. I bought the Kwik Way and all of the tooling about 7 years ago from a local dealer for $200. Yes, I had a hard time sleeping that night.

The Van Norman is still manufactured. They run about $8000 fully tooled up. I don't bore automotive engines or anything else that isn't a perpendicular cylinder. My rule of thumb is if I cant lift it with one hand, I'm not boring it. We have a couple of other engine builders in town that specialize in automotive work and we don't step on each others toes. They get the big stuff and I get the bikes, sleds, watercraft, and quads. We're all good friends and I want to keep it that way. Here's a link to my website if you want to take a look.

www.kenoconnorracing.com

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Ken; it’s interesting to see what direction other people go. I only do cylinder work & my bad back stops me from banging around crankshafts. There is always a helper drifting around when help is needed hefting an outboard block. The smaller spindle must be a Kwik Way which I’ve not seen. I’m glad that you replied to my last comment; I’ll refer people on your side of the country for 4 stroke head work.
We need more interest in E2S; I’m hoping that you’ll be a regular.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
WTB Need a new standard bore piston for a 1972 125cc, 54mm Zundap engine.
Engines were in a Rickman cycle.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Never get in a hurry to buy the first boring equipment that pops up. If you’re a patient person you’ll find a cycle shop in financial trouble; I’ve purchased cylinder machines for ½ of what their really worth. You need to be able to wave $100 dollar bills under their noses, cash is KING. Many times the shop is bare of equipment; the next week you might wonder where to put all of the wonderful stuff.
My new boring machine bench came back from the surface grinder yesterday. It’s 20” by 60”; there’s enough width so 2 machines can swap ends without worrying if 1 will fall off the table. Pictures will follow after the weekend. 1 of the older tables will go to shop #2 & I’m going to put the other for sale with an extra FWS machine. This will be a good opportunity for a fair price. My problem is my 2 extra machines are missing the tool kit especially the sets of centering fingers. CRAP
Special tables aren’t difficult to build for yourself. If you have a standard triangular boring stand; you will probably wish it was a little larger after you bore a couple dozen cylinders. It seems like they always get larger as the space becomes available.

One key is finding a shop which has a surface grinder to finish the tops & bottoms.

Stay Tuned
JT

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
ohhh i just relized 6665 post gonna make it 6666 with this one. john how many days a week is your shop open? 4week back log is long but prob close to average. too much work is a good problem, could be worse could have no work...

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
It’s OK to be busy; but having unhappy customers is very bad.
I work 40 hours one week & my short week is spent boring cylinders Friday & Saturday all day, in shop #2 at home in my garage Are you looking for www.bimotion.se the engine development program
JT

·
Registered
189 Posts
WTB Need a new standard bore piston for a 1972 125cc, 54mm Zundap engine.
Engines were in a Rickman cycle.
far as I know most all 125 engines used 54mm pistons. if you have to just modify it to suit. just because it was made for a Honda or Yamaha doesn't meen it has to be used in that engine

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
More vertical hone

I’m mentoring a cycle shop owner who is in Romania; Cristi sent me an Email asking about our Chinese vertical hone. This is my reply which I thought may be of interest to the rest of the readership.

Cristi; Just finishing my morning coffee. Pictures to follow. If you log onto www.alibaba.com & enter vertical hone, some suppliers & info should come up. I’m starting to change my “How it’s Done 2015” page into a more educational page which may be of interest to you. I’m glad to hear from you; got more work than I can handle.

I put a hardware store ammeter on the power cord to show the load & when the cutting is complete. I've been told that it will work better while tapping into the power input only.

Changed the supplied clamping mechanism with this heavy duty contraption; When the supplied clamp finally arrived, I found that it works well.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p497/johntice1/Vertical Hone/IMG_0211.jpg
I purchased a heavy duty deluxe Sunnen hone head which opens & expands many times faster than the supplied heads. The supplied heads have such a limited range that I was always changine stone sets with misc other problems.

This is the first big bore quad cylinder which uses the supplied clamping set up. I'm going to change the clamping screrws from metric to my standard mill clamping set.

Supplied with the hone was a Micky Mouse U joint hooking the drive to the head. The screws were so small & clumsy that the head changes were almost impossible to change.
With my new joint all that is needed to change the head is pulling the lower screw & swapping the heads.

A Honda 50 using a small head

The large Quad cylinder with the Sunnen head retracted

Harley cylinder with a torque plate attached to the head gasket surface

175 cylinder using a Chinese head

The basic hone comes with the 3 RH heads, the extra head on the left goes to +120mm

Blaster cylinder using our Sunnen head

Smallest head using a new small U joint

I'm sitting at the hone adjusting

Machine as it was being uncrated

Complete hone after uncrateing

Adjusting the stone height takes a few turns on the crank handle at the top of the machine. Since Chinese people are short in stature the tallness of the machine surprised me.
I had the crew make a new base which is 6" shorter so I can reach the height crank.
The machine cost is only $2200.00 USC. With freight & Duty total cost is around $5000.00.
Send me another email for more questions.

For you people who are familiar with the Sunnen hone set up, you will notice the different stone configurations. We most always use the double stone set which is designed for honing splinded bores..
The set hones twice as fast & doesn’t catch in 2 stroke ports.

John Tice
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/threads/49513-How-It-s-Done-Projects-around-the-Shop.com

:Cheers:

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
More Vertical Hone

I’m mentoring a cycle shop owner who is in Romania; Cristi sent me an Email asking about our Chinese vertical hone. This is my reply which I thought may be of interest to the rest of the readership.

Cristi; Just finishing my morning coffee. Pictures to follow. If you log onto www.alibaba.com & enter vertical hone, some suppliers & info should come up. I’m starting to change my “How it’s Done 2015” page into a more educational page which may be of interest to you. I’m glad to hear from you; got more work than I can handle.

I put a hardware store ammeter on the power cord to show the load & when the cutting is complete. I've been told that it will work better while tapping into the power input only.

Changed the supplied clamping mechanism with this heavy duty contraption; When the supplied clamp finally arrived, I found that it works well.

I purchased a heavy duty deluxe Sunnen hone head which opens & expands many times faster than the supplied heads. The supplied heads have such a limited range that I was always changine stone sets with misc other problems.

This is the first big bore quad cylinder which uses the supplied clamping set up. I'm going to change the clamping screrws from metric to my standard mill clamping set.

Supplied with the hone was a Micky Mouse U joint hooking the drive to the head. The screws were so small & clumsy that the head changes were almost impossible to change.
With my new joint all that is needed to change the head is pulling the lower screw & swapping the heads.

A Honda 50 using a small head

The large Quad cylinder with the Sunnen head retracted

Harley cylinder with a torque plate attached to the head gasket surface

175 cylinder using a Chinese head

The basic hone comes with the 3 RH heads, the extra head on the left goes to +120mm

Blaster cylinder using our Sunnen head

Smallest head using a new small U joint

I'm sitting at the hone adjusting

Machine as it was being uncrated

Complete hone after uncrateing

Adjusting the stone height takes a few turns on the crank handle at the top of the machine. Since Chinese people are short in stature the tallness of the machine surprised me.
I had the crew make a new base which is 6" shorter so I can reach the height crank.
The machine cost is only $2200.00 USC. With freight & Duty total cost is around $5000.00.
Send me another email for more questions.

For you people who are familiar with the Sunnen hone set up, you will notice the different stone configurations. We most always use the double stone set which is designed for honing splinded bores..
The set hones twice as fast & doesn’t catch in 2 stroke ports.

John Tice

:Cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dr250

Hi everyone, hope you are all well, I am getting near the end of my new workshop build and hope to back machining soon.
I have a customer with a 96 DR250 that needs a rebore and new piston, I have looked at the pistons available and they seem to be about 75mm dia bore with a 17mm piston pin dia but this one has an 85mm dia bore with a 19mm dia piston pin, it does state 249cm on the side of the barrel. I was wondering if you guys have come across this oversize kit in the US maybe it could be after market barrel kit.

regards Lathemad Kev.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Howdy Kevin; Check out the Wossner catalogs. Wossner is good enough to put the wrist pin heights in the listings. I’ve tried to get Wiesco to do the same with no success. BA-HUMBUG

181 - 200 of 234 Posts