Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of you guys like the old articles so I thought I would share this one. I like the history chart with the power figures over the years.

·
Supporting Member
881 Posts
Awesome material. :thumbsup:

Except what's with the title?

And I quote..."From ATC to Fourtrax, the 'R' has set the performance Bar"

Really? Set the bar?

Dean Kirsten must not have noticed that, meanwhile, Kawasaki was producing a powervalved engine with more power?

·
Registered
217 Posts

Really? Set the bar?

Dean Kirsten must not have noticed that, meanwhile, Kawasaki was producing a powervalved engine with more power?
Thats very true senator , the only thing i can say about that is to quote Mike Coe in testing the `86 tecate ! (every time we took it out , something broke !) I even got to meet Mark weixeldorfer one day when i was riding my new `85250r @ palm ave . C.V. ca. or 117 as they called it ! I love the KAWI , but i got no problem calling the Honda ATC 250R the gold standard of all atv`s even quads !:NodYes::NodYes::NodYes: Oh , i paid 2398 in oct . `84 i got away cheap , dealers started to goudge after that !

·
Old School but still Cool
2,841 Posts
Performance is more than hp numbers. I think they are referring to the overall performance of the vehicle as a whole.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That is a pretty cool article. I never really understood the publics infatuation with the "R", I'm sure that the aftermarket availability was a big part of it but when you watch those old races you'll see 5 Honda's to every Suzuki or Kawasaki.

I owned 3 different LT's back in the late 80's and early 90's but have ridden and ridden with many 250R's over the years and didn't really notice that big of a difference. The Honda definitely handled a bit better but that was an easy fix with the Suzuki's once you corrected the bump steer and upgraded the suspension, which everyone that raced did anyways, no matter what you rode. The 87+ Suzuki with the powervalve and 6 speed was way faster than the Honda.

The Honda was definitely more reliable than the Suzuki though, I did a lot more wrenching than my buddies that had the R's, that's a fact. Some of those guys beat the shit out of those bikes and they just kept coming back for more. Those transmissions were friggin bulletproof.

The Tecate was a super quick bike also but geez did they have problems breaking down. I've only know a couple guys that owned them but it seemed like they were always having problems back in the day. I'm sure if all the information that is available on the internet now was around back then that would be a different story though.

·
I just wanna ride!!
5,668 Posts

Really? Set the bar?

I believe we ALL know the "R" did set the performance bar. Kawasaki may have produced more power, but they couldn't use it due to poor geometry. Yes the 250R set the bar. And I think the proof is in all the titles that it has won over the years.

I just don't get your attitude.............???:Lame:

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
I believe we ALL know the "R" did set the performance bar. Kawasaki may have produced more power, but they couldn't use it due to poor geometry. Yes the 250R set the bar. And I think the proof is in all the titles that it has won over the years.

i think senator was stating his opinion. just like we all do. the author of the article has his also.

as far as the geometry thing, who says we're only talking mx here?

·
Registered
200 Posts

I agree with you Jared!

·
I just wanna ride!!
5,668 Posts
i think senator was stating his opinion. just like we all do. the author of the article has his also.

as far as the geometry thing, who says we're only talking mx here?
I don't remember mentioning the word MX:Question:

I agree with you Jared!
Thanks bro...............:Monster:

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
this could easily go the route of "wich one is better" im a yamaha fan, so i could easily say the the banshee set the bar, someone else could say he zilla did. we all have our oppinions.
i personally think they all had their strong points and weak points.
did Honda set the bar?? well i believe they built a quad that was well rounded in power to weight ratio and handling.

currently there is 4 banshee's in the garage, i would love to park a 250R right there with them as well as a T4 or a zilla.

keep in mind that magazine articles are also biased as to how much ad money that a manufacture spends with them as well.

still though, i'll never understant the short run of the R and the other 250cc smokers. if they were to put them back into production....they would be selling them faster than they could make em.

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
I don't remember mentioning the word MX:Question:
So you're saying the R set the bar for every type of racing? Come on bro.

this could easily go the route of "wich one is better" im a yamaha fan, so i could easily say the the banshee set the bar, someone else could say he zilla did. we all have our oppinions.
i personally think they all had their strong points and weak points.
did Honda set the bar?? well i believe they built a quad that was well rounded in power to weight ratio and handling.

currently there is 4 banshee's in the garage, i would love to park a 250R right there with them as well as a T4 or a zilla.

keep in mind that magazine articles are also biased as to how much ad money that a manufacture spends with them as well.

still though, i'll never understant the short run of the R and the other 250cc smokers. if they were to put them back into production....they would be selling them faster than they could make em.
Agreed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This here is some great info bro. I really like to read older info about these 250R's. They really evolved through the years. Thanks for sharing.:Clap: I'm gonna make this a sticky so it can stay up top.:Thumbsup2:
I have a ton of dirt wheels and 3 & 4 action from `84 - `86 haven`t looked at em in yrs , always thought you guys would get bored if i posted them ! The key is to get a clean scan of them so you can read the text ! Back then alot of awsome 2-stroke atvs came out in a short period of time ! The front covers with the `87 banshee , lt500 quadzilla priceless ! I think we all lost when honda was strong armed into stopping the race team and 2-stroke atvs ! I don`t know about you guys but i`m never gonna need to sell my collection , even if i can`t ride em anymore !:Smoke::Smoke::NodYes::Smoke::Smoke:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won't get into a "which one is better argument" but I will say that the 250R would most likely not been near as good without the Kawasaki Tecate! In the early years Kawasaki was the only one that manufactured an atv that was competetive to the 250R threewheeler. Competition improves the breed. IMO Honda stopped making the 250R because they were the ones hit the hardest by the lawsuits and the sales of utility machines were really taking off. They went where the money was and dropped the less profitable models. Suzuki sold the quadracers for a few more years until they stopped production. It's a shame it all went down that way. If the other three had not dropped their high performance quads Yamaha would not have been able to get away with selling the same unimproved Banshee for so many years. If the big four had continued to battle for the top spot in the high performance market we all would have been able to enjoy some awesome 2 stroke quads!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts