Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Purchase a set of angle grinders with the money you’re going to save & do it yourself. You can get porting ideas by watching Utube for a few hours. Arlan from LED Performance has an informative clip to watch. Also a copy of Performance tuning for 2-Srokes is a good read for anybody wanting 2-Stroke tips.
In the last few years too many people want to farm out the work when a little research & effort can do the work themselves. Hey people learn the 2-stroke trade before it goes away. Read my thread “How it’s Done”; at least your reading E2S.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
jumping in head first sometimes can be a bad idea. his cylinder most likely has nikisl plating, making it a bit more complex. not to mention the proper tools are nearly $1000 or more, notice I said proper tools. assuming he would use them one time, its a horrible investment. besides all that, he probly doesn't have the foggiest idea where to start grinding. I always tell people to pickup a bunch of junk cylinders off ebay and grind on them for a while before they have a go at their good parts. some people just want to ride the bike and not fool with the mechanical aspect and that's their decision

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Granted working on plated cylinders is difficult & a pain. This is another case for an iron liner in the bore. There is still a ton of study on Utube & purchasing a copy of “2 stroke performance tuning” . Giving his machine a dyno run would also be a good idea to see where any power might be changed. The next generation needs to start somewhere. Working on scrap cylinders is a great idea.
I picked up a small right angle 1/8” die grinder from a shop in Australia; less than $200.00
Carbide cutters are much cheaper now days.
I taught myself how to bore & sleeve cylinders; we can’t do everything but we can all be good at something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As much as I'd love to do it myself, I want it done once, by a pro, and forgotten about ;).

I run the toolroom at the company I work for, so am pretty good with a die grinder, I've done the squish and dome on my cylinder head etc and I know roughly what is required when porting. But when we start talking about transfer angles etc, that's when it all starts getting a little scary. I want to get a little more mid / top end out of the bike, the 300 2t bikes are very mid rangey, but fall flat on top, I know this means raising the exhaust port a little (HOW MUCH IS A LITTLE?!?!?!), but then I need to change angles etc and I just get lost.

What would be the rough process do you thing to add mid/top to a 300 enduro cylinder?

Also... who's good?! I'm very happy to pay anyone with a reputation on here to do it, I feel I'd learn a lot more from comparing a good job to stock, than just going in head first and doing what I think might be right...

·
Registered
205 Posts
As much as I'd love to do it myself, I want it done once, by a pro, and forgotten about ;).
Wise choice. If you haven't done any porting, you know you could ruin the cylinder. I'm sure you have searched the UK for porters. If you can't find one there, Eric Gorr is suppose to me very good with the Gas Gas. Give him a ring. http://www.eric-gorr.com/index.php
Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
have a chat with Stan, he has been doing it for years.
Stan has wrote books and currently doing articles in classic motorcycle mechanics.

In the LC/RD boom Stan was the man and he did a lot of dyno testing to get the porting right.

I have got the equipment but still learning the trade, done a few but it takes time on used barrels to get the technique right

http://www.stanstephens.com/index.html

Lathemad Kev.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After tinkering with a few other bits of the bike, I've got the power how I want it. I've cleaned up the Base of the transfers as the bridges were flat with lumps coming out. Only real alteration I've made is the rear inlet port didn't match the gasket well, and the powervalve has a hefty step on the expansion chamber side when fully open that I've ground to suit.

The ports could benefit from a little bit of reshaping, but I don't have the tools to do it. Would a right angle deemed attachment fit? 72mm bore...

Or I could send it to you for that finishing touches ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts