Everything2Stroke Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Holy crap, I can't believe December 5th was my last post on this project!! Stupid winter sucked!!!!!

The quad has been sitting in the exact same spot as in the pics from Nov 22 '13 with a tarp over it. Sickening.

Actually got back to this project a little over the past few days. Got the engine case covers off, old clutch plates out, new clutch plates ready to go soaking in fresh oil, base & head gaskets sprayed with Copper Permatex, and stator & clutch cover gaskets sitting there. Also got the powervalve parts pulled together and ready for re-assembling the cylinder, as well as the PWK39 airstryker. Need to dig out the cool head and o-ring kit for it. I'm still toying with the idea of putting a battery system on this rig for powering the EGT, Vapor, whip, and lights.

Other than free time and too many other projects going on, there's no reason why I can't have this engine installed and running this weekend. :Dope:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Got the top end together.

Ran into an issue with the clutch case cover. I had a spare one I planned on using since the original one has a crack where someone had installed kicker wrong. But the spare one has some kind of interference. I thought all 87-90 covers were interchangeable?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
The Suzuki part numbers for the '87 & '90 clutch covers are the same, so I assume any year will fit.

I can rotate the crank only about 1/4-1/3 rotation and then it will "clunk" on something solid in the clutch case. But with the other clutch cover or with the cover off completely, no issues whatsoever.

Look at the pic...the cover I want to use (top) is missing a feature (red arrow). What is that for?? Is it for the kicker spring? I'm at a loss. :Dope:

lt500_clutch_cover_issue_2014.jpg

·
Registered
263 Posts
I checked the service manual you posted up for everyone and there is no such piece in the service manual photo. It's page 3-19 if you wanna take a look.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Well, I've got a cover with and without that little piece, and there are two on eBay with it. Found another on Google images from 2007 without it: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/sblt/000_0001-3.jpg.

The screwed up thing is that my cover with the little extra piece is the one that works fine! lol

The Cometic gasket fits it just fine, too.

I've got two other Zilla engines I can check to see what cover they've got, but not about to start taking engines apart. I removed the clutch pressure plate and the plates without luck. Will remove the kicker spring and see if it is the culprit.

:Blackeye: :Blackeye: :Blackeye: :Blackeye: :Blackeye:

I think I'm going to get this "working" cover repaired with some clear hard epoxy where its cracked and just get on with it. Too many other projects to get to! I need this thing RUNNING. :Monster:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Note sure. Like I said, factory lists the same part number for the clutch cover for all 4 model years.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Solved. Didn't notice a skillbilly'd screw in the water pump cover. You can see the marks on the impeller, too.

Did manage to find a cracked thread in one of the clutch hub posts. Needs replaced.

And got the case set cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Jason at Honda east Toledo will get you a hub for like $50 brand new oem. That's not a screw that's a water pump drain plug! Lol glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Yep, planning on calling Honda East for that hub.

Its a screw (has a point). I replaced it with a M8x1.25 x 12mm bolt.

Need to measure my piston deck height. Its positive (piston edge above the cylinder deck). I'm going to compare it to a non-modified cylinder. Required because I'm not sure where the deck ended up after the ear-job.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I know its a screw I was being hill billy sarcastic lol.
LOL, I know. I was throwing a sarcastic curve ball, too.

Gonna' order a new clutch hub, a basket washer, and a kicker cover oil seal, too. Will give HondaEast a chance to get their coffee before I call (they open @ 9:30). Is Jason on E2S or SHQ?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Got all my parts. Hoping to get some things together the next couple of nights. Family will be here Saturday & Sunday, so won't be doing much of any wrenching.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Did a leakdown check and found the stock gaskets don't work with the VF3 reed cage & intake boot. The stock gasket misses the seal bead on the intake boot face. I had all kinds of bubbles there. Once I get that leak taken care of (correct gasket), I'm hoping the only leak left is at the p-valve. Getting some pressure build in the clutch case ("pfffft" when I take the oil cap off), so its either the wet-side crank seal or the p-valve. However, the p-valve is double-o-ringed. I really hope to find some time to get this thing leak-free, mounted, and started this weekend. All of the electronics are done. Just needs the engine checked & mounted. So close I couldn't take it anymore, lol. if I need a new crank seal, I'll have to order and wait.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts