Everything2Stroke Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Burned some midnight oil last night and into this morning out in the shop. Got the front hubs & rotors apart, degreased, blasted, and painted last night. Tedious as hell since my anal retentiveness has me cleaning every little part up, chasing every thread, etc.

Tried my damnedest to salvage a pair of upper ball joints that were in an extra set of '87 a-arms, but I just have -0- luck getting the uppers out without tearing the boots. I use an air ball joint separator with the wedge all greased up, but it still tears up the ol' boots. Ordered an upper pair of ball joints last night. Should be here Fri or Mon.

Got the cushion lever torn down and very-very pleased to see all the needle bearings well greased and clean (for once!). It got cleaned up, re-greased, & re-assembled.

Did some odds/ends like the seat latch and hook (wire-wheeled, clear-coated, and the latch mechanism lubed).

Nothing pic-worthy. Next pic will be of the ol' girl on all four wheels again, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got some more work done on the '87. Got the swinger on and almost all the front suspension back on. Waiting for the paint to cure on the left spring and hub. Also turned some new chain rollers on the lathe. She will be a full roller by Sunday. =)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Done. Ordered the 60-gal Max Air unit. My current compressor is now listed on CL.
Well, this purchase turned out to be a bad idea. The pressure switch has failed twice. It will kick off at 150psi, but the valve gets stuck open and then pump kicks on at 90. It works against the leak to 150psi. And then stuck. Have to drain the whole tank to allow it to reset itself. I can't have issues like this.

The 60-gal 5hp single stage 2-cylinder MaxAir compressor is getting returned to the store for a full refund.

Picking up a new 7.5hp 80gal 2-stage 4-cylinder Eaton unit tomorrow from their dock north of Dayton tomorrow morning. Was only $800 more to go big. Magnetic starter, single phase, auto-drain, cooler, and flows 2x more than the MaxAir.

The Zilla is officially a full roller again. Its on 4 wheels with brakes, rad & bars installed. Got most of the electrical back on there, but need to clear my brain and map out where the kill tether, Roost-Boost, and Trail Tech unit will wire in. Hoping to have this sucker running after my 9-day vacation that starts tomorrow night. =)

·
Registered
231 Posts
A false sense of power gain... Kinda like giving someone a sugar pill and telling them it's a Xanax for their anxiety and magically their anxiety is gone...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
A 7-1/2 HP x 80 gallon tank will be a good choice to drive a bead blaster provided that you can keep the air dry.
JT
I've got a PureGas heatless air dryer I haven't hooked up yet, but have relied on dessicants and coalescers. But my problem slowing lurking in priority is POWER. I've max'd out my 100A service in the shop. Can't run more than two big 220v 30a/50a items at once and about every 6mos I'm either up-sizing something or adding something big. House only has 200A and then the shop takes 100A from there. Need to talk to First Energy about upgrading to 400A. Won't be cheap since the shop is 100' from the road and my cables are underground and run under my asphalt drive.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Here are the pics I meant to attach to the last post...

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
I forgot to mention power requirements. A compressor of your size needs to run on 3-phase power. The next problem is that residential areas seldom have a 3-phase hook up. Many people think that it’s a 3 wire plug that’s 3-phase, not so. In our area 3–phase power has a 4 wire plug. Seems like there is always something which screws things up.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Nope, this compressor is single-phase with a magnetic starter. Runs on a 220v/50a service. You can get a single-phase unit up to 10hp.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Machine is fully wired...finally! It took 1 full semi-hacked harness and 2 partial harnesses to get one complete solid harness. It simply amazes me what kind of hack jobs I've seen over the past few used quad purchases! Any non-factory joints were soldered and shrink-tubed. Wired in the pull-tether, but not the Roost Boost. Decided the gimic product would simply just be one more variable in the mix if something were to act up. Never owned a Zilla that didn't have good spark WITOUT any aftermarket unit wired in. So...the Roost will prob show up on evilBay.

I need to buy a magnetic bolt for the Trail Tech's speedo sensor. Couldn't find it and thought it might be mounted on the hub already, but...nope.

Taillight is aftermarket (trailer light on an aftermarket grab bar), but will look nice.

May have the engine ready for leakdown test this weekend! Its gonna' get coooooold, so I may have to sneak the engine into the basement (sorry wife!) if I want to get it done faster. Will have to decide which top end and bottom end combo I want to run since I've got some choices.

I was thinking I'd build this one to sell and keep my '88, but the more I get done the more I want to make this '87 my "keeper". =) One of them needs to get sold this winter/spring though. Need funds back into my slush account to buy equipment.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I forgot to mention power requirements. A compressor of your size needs to run on 3-phase power. The next problem is that residential areas seldom have a 3-phase hook up. Many people think that it’s a 3 wire plug that’s 3-phase, not so. In our area 3–phase power has a 4 wire plug. Seems like there is always something which screws things up.
Dropped a chunk-o-change on 75' of 6-2 wire, a 50A 2pole breaker, and a 50A box...and she's wired, plumbed, and operating smooth. The 600rpm motor is super QUIET and I could not ask for more air volume. Worth the extra $'s, no doubt. The auto-tank drain is a nice add-on, too. I also added a 110vac solenoid valve on the coalescer drain and wired it to a push-button so I didn't have to use the drain plug. 30cfm at 150psi and she definitely accumulates water! I want to order a light tree for it with an amber light for "power" and green light for "pumping" so I can see if/when its running via the security cam and when I'm working with the hearing protection on. I can pull up the wifi video feed on my cellphone -- awesome & affordable technology!!!

The unit is still on the oak pallet, and I think it will be there for a while to [1] make it very mobile since it weighs a half-ton and [2] its a good heavy dampening base. Special thanks to the neighbor with the tank-tread Bobcat for plucking the thing off my trailer for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man I would love to have the cash to buy either one from you. It would be nice to buy one that you know has been done right instead of a hackjob like you mentioned lol!

·
Registered
222 Posts
they sure do take a lot of time when you go through every part on a total restore.
i hope the leak test gives you good numbers.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
they sure do take a lot of time when you go through every part on a total restore.
They sure do!!! lol Especially when I chase every thread, fix every issue, blast or wire-wheel and clear-coat every bolt, undo every prev owner short-cut, etc. Not perfect, but solid as it'll get. The only time a rig should ever strand you in the woods or dunes is [1] if you run out of gas, [2] you broke it while doing something you know was iffy anyways, or [3] you got stuck while towing in your buddy's crappy 4-stroke back to camp. haaaaaaa! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Man I would love to have the cash to buy either one from you. It would be nice to buy one that you know has been done right instead of a hackjob like you mentioned lol!
Well, I need enough $'s to buy a new Hypertherm plasma cutter and a machine torch to go with it...around $2500 + tax through my local dealer. So that's what I'd like to get. My shop isn't a real company, just a hobby. So the cash money comes out of my pocket (not credit). Wife & I have a rule that I only grow my hobby-capabilities with organic capital cash (aka: flip some rigs and/or parts, win lotto!). We spend the "real" money on our house, kid, and us. And then I have the rule of "I never lose $ on anything I buy."

81 - 100 of 140 Posts