Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . I have just got a notification that a member wants to "be a friend;" what is involved with being "friended" on a website? I have every expectation that this is an entirely admirable person, but my computer (with its horrible Win8) is already so full of pop-ups and spam and a million glitches, that I worry about any increasing exposure or connections.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've got malwarebytes. Damn thing is about as bad as the spam, popping up every half-hour or so, proudly telling me it has dealt with two issues and demanding I come give in further instructions, and when I do that it deletes anything I had been doing.

I used to use Firefox, when I had WinXPprofessional on a laptop that has died. Now I try it, but it won't give me a toolbar, neither will Google Chrome. I have to have the toolbar and its Edit and Print sections, I have to periodically save what I compose to Edit/copy, or I'll lose it due to the constant glitches and hiccups of this POS. I paid, I forget, $400 for the laptop, loaded with Win8 (couldn't avoid it)(now "upgraded" to 8.1), but I expect someday soon to be pushed over the edge of sanity at which point I will get up and smash the thing to bits against the nearest big hard object. I effing hate computers, hate modern life, and would go back to 1964 or even earlier if I could.

(EDIT) Recently met a guru computer-nerd who's going to help me switch to Puppy Linux.

(MORE EDIT) Meanwhile, what's the deal on "friending"??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you 100% sure it's malwarebytes I posted the link to? Sounds like a clone or copy or it didn't do a full system scan yet. No pop ups with the right one.

Firefox has tool bar, plus addons, plus custom / make you own.
IMO, if you don't like firefox, puppy linux is the same (both Linux). Just it puppy is a OS and web, WAY more geek needed issues. Not plug and play for many things. Is he going to make you a duel boot (windows and Linux)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know and don't want to know. My attitude toward this technology is rather like that of a little old lady toward her car. She doesn't care to know the principle of a differential, or how to shift into 4-wheel-drive, or how to shift at all. She just wants to drive to the grocery and back. That's me. So I'll let the kid set me up with something that I hope will be relatively simple and glitch-resistant. I told him I don't care about "features" and I don't want to hear about a dozen options. If I don't get something pretty simple, I'll throw the thing out, and to hell with the internet.

Meanwhile, I STILL would like someone to explain what's involved in "friending" and being "friended."

·
Play Hard Get Dirty.
1,128 Posts
I don't necessarily think their is anything particularly special in friending someone...except as otherwise seen like " oh such and such are friends"...don't think they have any extra access to information regarding you or your profile then they would as a general fellow board member.

Basically what im saying I've noticed is....it's pointless . Lol. :Lucky13:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.