Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling eco-friendly (and also me-friendly). I was thinking that because both methanol and ethanol are naturally occurring molecules that they break down easily. Its already known that derivatives of petroleum are carcinogens, for example, benzene from gasoline can be linked to blood cancer. Well anyway, are methanol and ethanol or any of their contents considered carcinogens?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Back when I was a little tyke, I was told that methanol would make you go Blind. Ethanol would make you drunk out of your mind.

Welcome Aboard Mate.

:Cheers:

E2S

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are not carcinogens, but still have toxic effect on your central nervous system and kidneys. Still a category 1 hazard rating so it's not better, just different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea, when you drink methanol it becomes formaldehyde (used to preserve specimens), the eyes are the first to go, when you drink more of it it will start do damage (preserve) other body parts. and about ethanol, never drink it, it usually has additives to poison it, deterring people form drinking it, but feel free to drink ethanol that hasn't been denatured.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mnasfield my first reaction to your post was a little arch (snotty!). Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) was popularly called "grain alcohol," you could choose to drink it straight (but not for long) as "Everclear," or mixed in proportions on down to 3.2 beer. Where ethanol was used industrially it was/is blended with an additive to make it taste bad, and labeled "denatured alcohol." Ethyl alcohol will mix with gasoline without any blending additives. It's use in "gasohol," typically in proportions from 10% ethanol, called "E10," up to "E85," comes from its miscibility and its promotion by giant Midwestern agri-businesses which lobby, and generously fund the election campaigns of, our Congresspeople. This skews the economics of the industry toward the use of expensive food grains (corn) to make ethanol, which could be made in a number of other ways which might be more environmentally friendly without catastrophically raising the price of food grains for poor foreign countries.

Methanol, the superior racing fuel, was long called "wood alcohol." It is poisonous (and carcinogenic) whether drunk or absorbed through the skin or the lungs, as you say. Splash it in your eyes when refueling and it might "frost" your corneas (best to wear safety gear). It doesn't mix with gasoline without blending additives such as benzol and amyl acetate. it's harder on engine metal and soft parts than ethanol (which itself is somewhat harder on soft parts than is gasoline). On the other hand, methanol can be made from such otherwise unwanted and useless substances as logging slash and garbage, of which we possess mountains. It would seem that one could make an economic case, and possibly an environmental case, for wider use of methanol.

The hard-core racer's attitude is that methanol is for racing, nitro is for winning, ethanol is for celebrating, and gasoline is for cleaning parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts