·
Registered
654 Posts
thats too much right now. waiting to get my job back

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Really nice pics. R.J.

I'm gonna tear my Lt250 dragger down soon. So I'll take some pics. of my 1-3 override trans. to give you Zuki guys an idea how that trans. is set-up!

Rudy Kurtz did my Override and was bar-none an awesome guy to talk to and give you the options.

Like a Banshee, I had an option to run a 1-4 set-up however, the way the trans is setup, he would hafta take 6th gear out.

Running the 1/4 aspalt thing, that wouldn't work for me....needing 6th gear to pull the top end of the track.

That's why I opted with the 1-3 set-up, to keep 6th gear!
Besides, the point in shifting is 1st to 2nd!
I never miss a gear ever since the mod!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well i should have it in the frame and running tomorrow so i cant wait to see how the tranny shifts and how it feels, also added a lock-up, so 2 new mods to check out tomorrow.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Oh... I thought that you had the dunable in your motor previously.
I never had a chance to check one of those transmissions out but, from what I hear....You should really like it!

Let us know how you make out with it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Very nice there RJ. But the only difference I saw in the the gear set ups was the shift drum and star. I didn't notice any difference in the gears themselves. I'm gonna be tearing the zilla motor down tomorrow and will get plenty of pic's and post them tomorrow some time.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yah i guess my pics of the tranny really didnt show much, sorry about that, but there was a big difference in the dogs, they were cut at an angle.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
rj_atv said:
Yah i guess my pics of the tranny really didnt show much, sorry about that, but there was a big difference in the dogs, they were cut at an angle.
Yea, The whole concept of the "ramped" or angled dogs is:
When you are in the gears that have override mod ..you shift to the next gear....no clutch, still holding full throttle.
When the previous or lower gear unloads and the higher (next gear) overrides it .
That's where the ramped dogs take effect and push the lower gear out of engagement.
Instead of being square and relying on you (the rider) to manually disengage the gear.

Also if you look at the picture R.J. posted of the shift drum, you will notice that the grooves (the termite looking area) are milled much wider to allow 2 gears to be engaged at the same time.

It sounds confusing to some of you guys by the concept but, If you get a chance to ride a quad that had this mod. It is absolutely amazing!

It shaves a ton of time off on your Drag Racing elapsed times by not having to let off of the throttle and pulling on the clutch and besides, you won't EVER miss a shift AGAIN!!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well i am getting my bike ready to be a total dragger, now i got the motor/tranny combo and all i need now is a swinger and a few other little things. I was thinking of not doing the swinger and just getting a wheely bar...what do you guys think about that? or is it better to just do the swinger?

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
rj_atv said:
Well i am getting my bike ready to be a total dragger, now i got the motor/tranny combo and all i need now is a swinger and a few other little things. I was thinking of not doing the swinger and just getting a wheely bar...what do you guys think about that? or is it better to just do the swinger?
Well to be totally honest with you, I do mostly asphalt drag racing except for QuadFest and I don't use a wheelie bar.
My swingarm is 8+ and don't have a need for the W/bar.
When I do the Dirt drag thing, I switch to a stock swinger for the traction and still have no problems.

Some really Huge H.P. motors, use them.
If you have the supension and frame set-up properly. You don't need a Wheelie bar.

Do some testing and see if you feel more comfortable with or with out one.

Joe

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yah but my question is, can i just do the wheely bar and not do the swinger? this way i can just take on and off the wheely bar if say i ever wanted to dune it for the day, or do you need wheely and swinger?

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
No...you want a longer swinger and wheelie bar. You generally don't have to go quite as long with the swinger...

If you go too short on the swinger, even with the bar...it will hit the bar so hard it will unload the tires, or actually pick them up....when you want them planted and tearing up the ground with traction...

You want the wheelie bar as long as the wheelbase of the bike...as a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
dajogejr said:
No...you want a longer swinger and wheelie bar. You generally don't have to go quite as long with the swinger...

If you go too short on the swinger, even with the bar...it will hit the bar so hard it will unload the tires, or actually pick them up....when you want them planted and tearing up the ground with traction...

You want the wheelie bar as long as the wheelbase of the bike...as a rule of thumb.
Dave what size swinger would you recomend then for me?

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
I definitely have to say that R.J. took some really good pictures of his teardown and build.
Nice Job !!
It kinda sheds some light on the inside of these motors for the members who have never had a motor apart or seen the inside of a motor a view on what's inside of a 2-stroker !

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
looks fast already

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
If you're gonna ride more sand, 6 or 8 over, 10 to 12 paddle extremes, 72 to 74 inch rollout on 8 inch tires.

If you're gonna ride more hard pack dirt, 4 or 6 over.

Harder to get traction on dirt/hard pack than it is sand.

If you're going to run pavement with slicks...6 over but you GOTTA have a bar!

John, here is a pic of the engine stay I was talking about . What happens is under the HP/Torque of the motor, the chain "pulls" the motor toward the rear of the bike...I'd bet if you had someone watch your chain on hard acceleration, you'd see the top side of it bow in the air BIG time.... It took me watching someone else ride mine to realize and believe in this.

Here ya go, simple threaded rod, two heims....

21 - 40 of 42 Posts