Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, through my many acquisitions of Zilla parts, I landed a hybrid frame. Came from Arkansas, made its way to WVA, and eventually to NW Ohio. It's a pro frame job with gussets, all the right carved sections, and bracing. Came with zilla a-arms, but the lower rear mounts are about 1/4" off. What p!sses me off is that they were recently welded there! Morons. Also needs the upper shock mounts swapped out to fit the ZIlla shocks. Already into these changes. Also came with a really nice stock Zilla swing-arm, axle, and carrier. I sold ALL of my 250 stuff last fall, so I had to go pickin' to get some 250 parts. Thanks to two gentelmen by the names of Tony and Steve (awesome people), I've got everything I need for a low-low price. The engine is an .080-over '88+ small reed and lower end is one I've got split right now for rebuild. My plan is to get everything I need to make it a true roller mainly for ease of moving it around the shop, onto the trailer, etc. I've got 2 other Zilla projects in front of it. What's funny is that this hybrid project is for sale, too. lol

So...the Zilla swing arm...it uses the Zilla cushion lever which I do not have for this project. And I have an '87-90 LT250R shock w/ linkage & rezzi. Frame is setup for the 250 shock, but swing arm isn't. I have two options: [1] weld on the UPPER tabs under the seat-frame to accomodate a Zilla shock upper mount and the lower mount for the cushion lever front mount (would need to pick-up a zilla shock and cushion lever); OR [2] use the swinger's cushion lever thru-holes to mount the lower end of the 250 shock, and then add a simple double-shear bracket on the swinger for the shock linkage lower mount. [3] I've also got a tube bender for 1.25" OD and could make a custom DOM swinger, but that's really not in-scope right now. Opinions? I like option #2. Simpler & cheaper.

Also, any issues with using a 250 radiator on a 500 engine?

Again...just looking to make this a roller for now.

No pics yet.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you x 2, Quadster!! :Cheers:

I think I'm just gonna do something similar...weld a double-shear upper mount under the seat, and then bolt (no TIG) a similar bracket to the swing arm with a couple spacer-tubes to span the hollow gap for strength. Just a little painful to DRILL into a perfectly good Zilla swing arm. At least I'll save a few pounds with no linkage and no cushion lever. =) Maybe someday I'll make my own swinger.

Will need some pricey items tp finish this build in the future...CDI, clutch basket, and stator.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, snagged a good '87-'90 LT250R swinger for $50 to use on the '87 LT250R frame. Now I won't need to fab anything on the frame, nor hack my Zilla swinger.

Also, the Zilla a-arms on the 250 frame...it seems to make more sense to flip the a-arms around (left on right and right on left), but keeping the spindles in the same place with steering arm in the rear. This would allow the upper mount (cross-bar) to be located in the same place (but made to accept the wider zills shock end) and would push the lower mount out front an inch or so. This would also push the front wheels forward a bit and gives the shock the proper rake angle (otherwise, the top of the shock leans forward). But I have no idea what this will do to the spindle geometry (are the upper and lower ball joints aligned vertically???). Will find out!

Next, the Zilla tie rods are too long for the Zilla arms on the 250 frame (skinnier than the Zilla's). Had to trailer my hybrid out of my garage to clean up the place for a realtor walk-through, and the hybrid was a hot pigeon-toed mess to move around!

Hoping to have progress and pics this weekend. I need to make this thing a solid roller.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And just ordered a Hinson basket and an OEM basket form Honda East. I need 3 baskets for my (3) open projects, so figured I'd get one of each and then can decide which I like more for project #3.

FYI..no one can beat Honda East's prices for these things...at least not that I've found in my week-long search! =) Brand new parts, no BS.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need more pics lol looks awesome
Actually, I don't have any pics of my project up yet. The ones above are of Quadsters rig.

I'll get some up tonight. Nothing special yet...just fitting and trying a few things out.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is it so far...from when I had the project up for sale. Pics show it with the Zilla swinger (which will be changed to LT250R), and the rear lower a-arm mounts have been moved back about 3/8" to where they're supposed to be. I've added to the parts pile since these pics were taken, too. At the moment, she's sitting up-right with 3x1's in place of the shocks, pigeon-toed and pouting...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up an aftermarket LT250r swinger that uses the stock carrier. And i confirmed that the LT500 carrier does NOT fit in the 87-90 LT250 swinger. The LT500 carrier is 3.63" tall, while the LT250 carrier is 3.06". So I think I may try to hunt down a bargain carrier-axle-hub set, or just make a yoke bracket.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got the LT250R shock attached to the frame and swinger (lower). Just need to make a bracket that will bolt onto the swinger to hold the shock link. I'll sketch a few things and see what I can come up with that looks clean. I'll need to find a couple long metric bolts for bolting the upper and lower.

With the Zilla A-arms on the LT250R mounts and using the stock 250 shock upper mount, there are two issues:
1. The wheelbase is SHORT since the frame is shorter (its a 250) and the Zilla arms push the front wheels back even more.
2. The shock leans forward (top forward). See pic...
IMAG3694.jpg

So, the a-arms will get flipped around. I got the arms off and lowers flipped around, but need to pick up a ball joint wedge to get the lowers apart. Spindles stay on their respecitve sides, but a-arms swap. This will give a longer wheelbase and help with the shock angle. Regardless, the stock mount will get cut off and replaced with one that will both accomodate the Zilla shock and correct angle. And I still need to align and mount the lower rear a-arm mount brackets (that got moved).

Not sure I'll have enough real estate on the tie rods to both un-pigeon-toe her and reach the spindle arm now that the arms will be flipped. That arm might have to get lengthened/modified depending on if the tie rod will interfere with the shock, cause horrible bump-steer, etc.

Fun little project!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...I do not think I'm ever going to get to this Hybrid afterall. I know, flipp-floppin like crazy on this project! Once I get my '90 project done, I'm going to sell off the hybrid bottom end, chassis, and some other stuff. It will all eventually (weeks or months from now) be parted out on E2S classfieds and eBay.

I'm having enough trouble trying to get decent coin out of my gorgeous '88 that's for sale, that I don't want to dive into more long complete builds that just don't make any cents! (pun intended) And I'm getting busier and busier, and the "buggy" bug seems to nip me 10x more than the Zilla bug.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get the bolt on clutch adjuster for my lt250r
Not sure anyone makes those anymore but I have one off my 87-92 LT250R I parted out.

It is for sale.

The aluminum clutch cover mount was always a common weak spot. I had to get mine towed and I had to use vise grips to hold the clutch cable on to save the day.

I probably could have rode for a long time with just vise grips....lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts