Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good reasonable custom ATV chassis/Frame Builder. I'm having a Ported 535cc Power Valved Cheetah built for a Banshee that I use as recreational trail rider and racer and I'd love to set this awesome power plant in a super strong, lightweight, Gusseted, and Powder Coated Long Travel Frame.

I've designed a Chromoly Steel LT Banshee Frame on a Auto Cad program that has the 2009+ YFZ-450R/X Frame Geometry that uses the stock or aftermarket YFZR or YFZX Front Suspension Components (A-Arms, Shocks, Tie Rods, Steering Stem, Steering Stem Flag, Spindles, Brakes, ect), Foot Pegs, Aluminum Sub Frame, Bumper, and Grab Bar. That houses the Banshee Motor and uses the stock or aftermarket Banshee Plastic, Seat, Heel Guards, Gas Tank, Radiator, Air Box, Rear Swingarm, Rear Shock, and Linkage. One of the best parts about my custom frame is the weight savings. Even with a +4 Arched Latter Swingarm and Aluminum Belly Skid Plate the wet weight of the quad will be reduced by 18lbs according to the CAD Program. :thumbsup:

I want to have a chassis builder build me this frame and a custom Heavy Duty +4 to +6 Arched Latter Swingarm and powder the frame a metallic candy red and the Swingarm Yamaha Silver. I want to run the long travel Elka Shock Linkage with a pull pin adjustable rear link adjustment. I'll probably run OE take off YFZX A-Arms and Shocks for a while but I'd like to eventually upgrade to stock length aftermarket A-Arms w/ Fox Float Evol-X Front Shocks and a Fox Podium Rear.

please let me know if you know of a chassis builder that can build me this frame. With the new CP 535cc PV Cheetah in this Chassis I will have one mean recreational trail Banshee to ride on and drag race in the river bottoms! Any input on a frame and chassis fabricator would be greatly appreciated.
Electrical supply Auto part Plastic

·
Registered
258 Posts
$ Cha Ching $

I like your idea !!

I would start with Lone Star. Maybe check with builders/fabricators on that other forum that seems to hate you, for whatever reason.:jester:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Sounds like the build everyone wishes their banshee to be with an unlimited budget. I've got no idea on builders making one off custom banshee frames though. Good luck and start a build thread if you ever do go all in with this idea.

·
stock cylinder killer
1,005 Posts
Call Jordan at Turbo Chassis. Not sure if he does custom stuff but if he cant maybe he can point you in the right direction. 304-483-0472

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm putting a link up at BHQ for a guy that did a really bitchin' frame. It was probably one of the best ones I've seen done. You should contact Springer over there at BHQ to see if he could work with you. There are a few options though look at the way SNT did a narrowed front end, Evan (358banshee) did a killer job on a new frame. I just think ya gotta dig a bit deeper. There are talented guys that can do this but I think you need to look between Jim bobs home garage and the big names like lonestar. I have Evans shop contact I you wanna try him?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This YFZ-R Custom Hybrid is happening! I found a tweaked 2010 YFZ-450R Frame and snagged it pretty cheap and I found a local Off-Road Chassis/Suspension Fabricator that is very talented that has agreed to build the hybrid frame and a set of bad ass XC Style Chromoly A-Arms. I've gathered up just about everything I had left that I needed for this frame.

I still need a stock YFZR Subframe, a +4 Steller Arched Ladder Swingarm, Swingarm Pivot Tube Bearing Kit, a TPR Gusset Kit, Subframe Suports, HD Billet Tie Rod Kit w/ Tie Rod Ends, Pivot Work's A-Arm Pivot Tube Bearing Kit, Armadillo HD A-Arm Ball Joints, and a Lightweight UHMW YFZR Belly Skid Plate.

I've got everything else other than those items and I plan on getting that stuff over the next 6 weeks, then I'll be dropping everything off so he can get started. I really think this is going to turn out bad ass! I'll keep this thread updated as it comes along.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Nice build you need to take lots of pic's to remember this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice, Frames are a lot of fun to build, Be prepared for it be more expensive and take longer than they Quote you, One off chassis's always run into interesting issues you miss until you set every Piece in place.
I've built a few and its always a challenge.
A word of advice, ask them for the radius of the Dies they have for the tubing sizes your using. Set ALL your bent tubes to the Dies they have, and if possible to one radius to minimize time wasted swapping dies in and out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry its taken me so long to get back with you guys.

fastbansheekid your absolutely right, a stock air box would choke a 535cc Power Valve Cheetah and 38mm Keihin PWK Air Strikers. I plan on trail riding so I wanted to keep a air box if at all possible.

I've spent a lot of time and money upgrading my Air Box and having it flow benched to make sure that the air box didn't chock this new 10 mil. I'm Running a few different Air Box upgrades that make this possible, I the Air Box/Intake Mods I'm running on the stock Banshee Air Box are listed bellow.

Arsene Racing Air Foil with bigger diameter air tubes.
Red UPP Racing 38mm Polyurethane Air Box.
Pro-Design Billet Air Filter Adapter thats been machined for a bigger inside diameter.
K&N Air Filter with Outerwear's Pre-Filter.
EHS Air Box Lid Insert (Water Proof and flows the same as air box with no lid)
Plastic Screw-In Drain Petcock.
PC Racing Carburetor Vent Line System.
OEM Suzuki LT-500 Carburetor/Air Boot Clamps. (two sets for 38mm carbs)

Its hard to tell in the pictures but the Arsene Racing Air Foil has bigger outlets/tubes than the OEM air box outlets/tubes. From the point that the air box splits into two separate outlets/tubes I have a 5.16mm ID taper from the Air Box to the back of the carbs (bells). This should work perfect because it has no restriction points and the gradual 5.16mm taper from the air box to the carbs will keep the air velocity up. A OEM air box is capable of feeding a big 535cc engine clean air but it takes a lot of work and money to make it do it.

The Air Box Mounting Taps on the frame also have to be moved back to allow sufficient room for the bigger carburetors. I've go a appointment with a buddy that owns a flow bench and we're going to test the modified air box against a set of dual clamp on air filter pods. I honestly do expect to see to much difference between the two. I'll let you guys know what the results end up being.

Larry's Shee
I wanted to have a 2009+ YFZ-450R Frame available for the chassis builder to refer back to while the new frame is being built to help him make sure all the geometry and measurements are spot on between the front ends. The new Banshee Long Travel Frame will be a little shorter (same length ans the YFZ-450R/X) and have 11° of front rake. The steering stem angle and placement will also match the R. I felt like the YFZR Frame was necessary in order to make 100% sure that the new frames front end frame and suspension geometry was spot on.

When the new long travel Banshee Frame is complete the chassis builder is going to fix the 2010 R Frame and beef it up for me. Then I'll either sell it or put it up.

I'll keep you guys updated as this project moves along. It should be one bad ass setup when its done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:Thumbsup2:Snap, I was hoping you had a drawing of the geometry I could get a copy of :Banghead1:
I was kind of kicking around the idea of doing the same to a Blaster. There's a DIY on another forum for standard yfz 450 arms on a blaster.

With a nose heaavy Banshee won't making it shorter make it even more so?

No matter, looking forward to finished product :Ok

·
Registered
854 Posts
Might be too late for you - but Walsh Race Craft just finished a pretty amazing LT500R hybrid chassis build utilizing their new hybrid build. Basically LTR450 geometry in the front with lower cg changes elsewhere in the frame and their rear linkage setups they are known for.

I can't find the pictures now (Might have been on instagram?) but it was an extremely clean and nicely done build. Here is the teaser picture, but I coulda swore I saw a completed one also;

http://instagram.com/p/uajMyDDYES/
http://instagram.com/p/tlwXEEDYNX/

I doubt a Banshee motor would make that much difference for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How can something with a smaller opening and a filter flow the same as a bigger opening and no filter?
I want to keep a Air Box on it because this bike will be my everyday recreational rider and I trail ride with a bunch of newer 4-Pokes a lot. I want to protect the engine and not worry about crossing creeks or hitting mud.

I was concerned about any air box providing addiquit air flow at first too, so I called and talked to a tech at EHS Racing and to them what I was building and the carb size. According to the tech the opening in the lid was adequate for engine displacements up to 600cc's and still allow the engine to perform the same as it would with no air box lid (No Jetting Changes between No Lid & EHS Lid Insert).

He also told me the Outerwear's woven mesh material would not restrict any significant amount of air flow as long as it was clean and free of debris, but anything past that (Air Filter, Air Box Intake Tunnels, and Carburetor sizes) they were unsure about.

The Arsene Turbo Air Box Mod/Air Foil Instructions said it was designed to accommodate carburetors up to 39mm using a stock Banshee air box without the lid. It didn't give a maximum engine displacement. I've got a friend that owns a speed shop that has a flow bench machine that will measure the amount of CFM's the air box/K&N Air Filter is capable of moving. We are going to test the modified air box against a set of 7" Air Filter Pods and see how close they are. I'll let you guys know results when the air box is tested against the twin 7" air filter pods, but I feel pretty confident that the results between the two will be close. The air box set up the way mine is is not near as restrictive as it was in stock form.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds awesome HondaACT!

Walsh Race Craft is all about the Suzuki LTR-450 Geometry. I think they've built quit a few hybrid frames that were LTR based. I called them about a year and a half ago about building me a custom long travel frame and they said they weren't interested in building anything for the Banshee and they didn't have enough time to take on any custom jobs. If I had to bet I couldn't afford one of their custom chassis even if they did build it for me. They build nice components but they are proud of them.

I appreciate you contributing your idea none the less. I'm still waiting on the guy thats got the 2010 YFZR Frame thats lightly damaged to finish transplanting everything over so I can get him paid, so nothings is absolutely set in stone yet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can do a rough CAD Rendering of a Blaster Frame with the 2009+ YFZ-450R/X Long Travel Frame Geometry if you want me too. it won't be extremely detailed but it will give you a real good idea of what it would look like.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That new carburetor/airbox manifold looks very trick. I had my airbox off and was wondering why it wasn't designed for better flow. Looking good so far.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts