Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are probably a bunch of threads about oil but im starting another one . When I first changed the fluids in the 85-86 motor the clutch was grabbing great , after a few test rides i changed it again to clean out any gunk from the previous owners lack of maintenance . First change i used Castrol 2 stroke crank case oil but for the second i only had regular motor oil laying aroung (Mobile 15w40 i believe ) now im getting clutch slip at the top of 4th and 5th gear . I know the new oils have frction modifiers (not good) I only ran it for 15-20 mins with the Mobile oil in it , the question is could I have burned up the plates that quick or will the clutch grab if i put the 2 stroke crank case oil back in it after a long warm drain out ? Also any other suggestions on crank case oils would be appreciated I dont have any Atv or bike dealers near me so I like things I can find at Pepboys , auto zone or walmart . As always thanks in advance for any help and info !!!Winkdogg . PS I PUT A LINK IN MY OTHER THREAD WITH PICS OF SOME OF MY QUADRACERS !! JUST CLICK THE LINK TO TAKE A LOOK!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think regular oil would cause your slipping problem like I have seen synthetic do. I personally just run regular 10w-30 of what ever is cheap but I change it often and I know some people that run atf fluid but they change it often as well. You could try a different oil if you haven't already (its cheap enough) and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ive always used 2 stroke crank case oil designed for wet clutches buy what the hell ill give the type f a shot and see if she bites better if not ill just order the Barnet complete kit and go back to castrol 10w40 2 cycle crankcase thanks again guys!!

Use ATF type F

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
they use atf in automatic transmissions and they use a similar type of clutch disk as we use in the atv. If you have a 4 stroker, you obviously need to use a oil v.s. atf because of the piston, rod, bottom end but, for a 2-stroker the transmission is separate from the rod and piston.. so the ATF is the best bet for the clutch pack.

Synthetic oil is a bad call because it is way too slippery for the clutches!

If you try it and it still slips ..then it might be time to replace the clutch disks and plates.

Joe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
they use atf in automatic transmissions and they use a similar type of clutch disk as we use in the atv. If you have a 4 stroker, you obviously need to use a oil v.s. atf because of the piston, rod, bottom end but, for a 2-stroker the transmission is separate from the rod and piston.. so the ATF is the best bet for the clutch pack.

Synthetic oil is a bad call because it is way too slippery for the clutches!

If you try it and it still slips ..then it might be time to replace the clutch disks and plates.

Joe
actually its slipping worse with the atf type f in it , which was hard to find by the way???? so its time to order the clutch kit . im going for the complete kit with springs , discs and plates and everything bc the clutch lever is super easy to pull and i like a stiff clutch lever and dont mind the extra effort for better grab . but before it only slipped in 4th and 5th at high rpm and now it slips in 3rd at high rpms too so the atf actually made it worse ??? oh and when i dumped the second oil change it was pitch black again with maybe 15-20 mins total run time so im guessing there was some serious gunk in there i hope i got it all out this time! cant wait to see what color the red atf comes out! will let you guys know when the gasket and clutch arive then we can talk about my carb problems (i think air is leaking around the mix/idle screws maybe teflon tape???)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The extremely black color is from the plates slipping, you over heating the oil and carmelizing it due to the slippage. That's how you also tell if you o chelanges are often enough. It slips for a millisecond every time you release the clutch from stopping or a shift. Do it enough you foul the oil. If clutch pack is actually failing and slipping it only takes a minute to make the oil black and stink badly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup put a Barnett Dirt Digger in it and ig grabs like new (or better than new) old plates had almost no material on them and steel discs were warped and blueing from heat!

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
How did the clutch basket look when you replaced the clutch and steel plates? The basket will tend to get some grooves in it also causing the clutches to hang also.
Obviously, the clutches will wear normally due to age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts