Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1461 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
there was a trx roller out in the banks area not long ago for cheap (white plastics, yellow frame i think). i was going to forward it to you rj...

ive ridden both, the cr and the lt hybrids. my god i hope you have a good dentist as your fillings will fall out if you dune it. We would bring a metal detector to camp to find missing bolds etc that rattled off.......

that being said, they are still a blast to ride!

·
Registered
36 Posts
if i remember right the exhaust was a lower mount style fmf, trx silencer with a modified mid pipe to tie the two together. It has been almost 20 years.....cant remember if the pipe was modified to clear the frame / left front motor mount or if the mount / frame was modified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Maxx

I did see that roller in banks, it did not last long. I bought a complete quad out of Eugene a few weeks ago. Yeah i have heard about the vibration and have held off on doing this conversion for a long time, but i have to try i have had the motor for a long time and was going to do another CR500 aluminum frame conversion with it but i want to see for myself how it works in the quad. It may be short lived but thats ok i do have a spare motor for my Zilla that will go in if the CR motor does not work out. I do have both styles of the CR500 pipe, high and low, they would both need a lot of modification to work in the frame. Thought i would see if someone had a pipe they would part with instead of cutting up one of my spares. For all the attempts people have had at this conversion I was hoping to get lucky and score a bolt on pipe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Twister crankshaft, LED, and white knuckle are all close to you and all should be able to balance it out on a lathe for you. If you go to LeD, ask arlan to see his cr500 trx welded up mock up frame :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Motors back together & in! After 3+ years, and selling it as a parts bike back & forth with my friend, I'm finally a few hours away from bringing it to the shop nearby to get a chain & ride it.

I have a 14t front, 20" tires, and two choices of rear sprocket: 41 or 49????? Which one should I use? anybody.

Edit: Got it, def. running the 41

·
Registered
35 Posts
Somehow, by the grace of god, I miraculously got this thing to start. Holy fuck. The 500 kicker ground down doesn't really work that great, and there is a useless curve in the silencer pipe that doesn't help, although I think the secret is to kick it from 3 clicks above being bottomed out on the foot-peg anyways. Had the pipe explode/blow apart a bunch of times before I finally got it started. Rode it briefly, remembered @ the end of my driveway/top of 1st gear that I had no brakes, that was fun. Hit third on the street but it was breaking up and then died. Another day.

Definitely vibes like crazy at idle but I feel like with an anti-vibe stem & balanced crank it would be money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Somehow, by the grace of god, I miraculously got this thing to start. Holy fuck. The 500 kicker ground down doesn't really work that great, and there is a useless curve in the silencer pipe that doesn't help, although I think the secret is to kick it from 3 clicks above being bottomed out on the foot-peg anyways. Had the pipe explode/blow apart a bunch of times before I finally got it started. Rode it briefly, remembered @ the end of my driveway/top of 1st gear that I had no brakes, that was fun. Hit third on the street but it was breaking up and then died. Another day.

Definitely vibes like crazy at idle but I feel like with an anti-vibe stem & balanced crank it would be money.
Sounds like it's fat on the pilot and main. What are you running for jets and carb? I had an 88 TRX250r with an 86cr500 for many years. Wish I still had it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem with Hondas is that everyone of them eventually cracks a frame. Especially the TRX's. I had an engineer buddy who worked for Boeing that even built his own frame from scratch back in 97 using the Honda geometry and that big 500 shook that one apart too. The ATC's aren't as bad, but they still do it. Honda just didn't design the trikes and quads for that kind of vibration. Kawasaki did in their KXT's. heh heh. Plus it nearly bolts right in. Will do another one of those someday. Just gettin' hard to find an 86 KX5 these days.

·
4stokesLazy2strokesCrazy!
7,770 Posts
What took you so long to post lol? I dare you to put a 86 kX5 in a KXT frame- you won't do it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I know a guy that had a kx5 in both a t3 and a t4. His t3 did vibrate pretty good but his t4 did not.

It really depends on how well the motor is balanced.

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
The problem with Hondas is that everyone of them eventually cracks a frame. Especially the TRX's. I had an engineer buddy who worked for Boeing that even built his own frame from scratch back in 97 using the Honda geometry and that big 500 shook that one apart too. The ATC's aren't as bad, but they still do it. Honda just didn't design the trikes and quads for that kind of vibration. Kawasaki did in their KXT's. heh heh. Plus it nearly bolts right in. Will do another one of those someday. Just gettin' hard to find an 86 KX5 these days.
1 post in 8 years. Belated welcome to the site lmao.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ha! I didn't even know it had been 8 years. LOL

You "dare" me? LOL no need for that. I've done it twice. But only in the KXT. Never did one in the KXF. Was never sure the frames would hold up since Kawi put counterbalanced engines in them. I'll try to find some photos.

I was actually doing a search on compression release valves of some kind and that's how I ended up in this thread. Would have been nice to have back in my big bore days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. I'll see if I can find some. It's been a few years. I think I sold the 2nd one in 1997 so it's been a while. The best part about doing the swap on a Kawi is that you can actually SWAP the engines. After you put the 500 in the KXT, you can put the 250 in the KX and sell it as a 250. It's like Kawasaki was just waiting for Honda to produce a 500 and if so, they would be ready. Too bad things happened the way they did back then.

1441 - 1460 of 1461 Posts