Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1461 Posts

·
Throwing Big Sand
1,095 Posts
Guys lets keep this on topic. That goes for everyone. If you want to discuss Lt motors vs Cr Start a new thread.

Consider this Everyone warning

·
Registered
450 Posts
As an owner of a big single and a banshee it's no secret that a twin will be faster in a race.
Don't throw lot and lots of $$$$$$ on draggin a 500.
That statement has disapointed allot of banshees guys, while it is true for the fastest of the fast banshees there is a whole lot of banshees that can and do get beat by big bore single cylinders.

The better statement is its allot cheaper to go fast in a banshee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know its some were in here but got old tryin to look. im new here an in the process of puttin my cr500 in my 250r just wantin know best way bout monts an bout counter balance so will be rite. if could just copy an post if know which page could get all my info on

·
Registered
30 Posts
wow guys this thread is amazing,soo much info,its gonna take me months to read lol cant belive i couldnt find this months ago when i started planing my ktm/cr500 build, cant wait to see the counterballancer in action :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
He went AWOL awhile ago I think he gave up and bought a quadzilla :laugh4:

lol if i couldve found a lt500 back when i was doing it.I deffinately woulda kept the r standard and went that direction. I hope he hasnt given up.Ive fiunally bought a house set up my shed with all my lathes an mill etc and split my 500 cases 2 nights ago to try phase 2 of the balancer.If this doesnt work well my 250r bottom end is receiving a cr480 barrell and that will be going into it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
whats up fellas, i've been gone for a long time and havent worked on mine for just as long... im gonna start working on it again in about a month i think and i plan to work on it till its done, not too far to go, just needs a few more things welded up and then wire it up and hope it starts. then take it all back apart and clean it and paint it. see ya soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this site, hello all. I've read almost every thread so far. This is probably the best site for the TRX/CR hybrid I've found. You guys are doing awesome! Keep up the experimenting...there is a way... I know siderbox from a 250R website, nice to see you one here. Mart, I've read your progress with the counterbalance and I think it's superb work! You're definitely on to something. Keep up the R&D.
I picked up my hybrid a while back. It's changed hands around here locally for 10 years now and is pretty well know for it's prowess. It was build originally for MX but obviously, the harmonics killed the ride for the guy and he lost interest and sold it off. I got it from a guy on a trade for an old '87 250R stocker I had laying around. He wanted something he could start, couldn't kick it off. He had to pull-start it if he wanted to ride it and didn't want to hassle with it anymore. After much reading and practice, I got the kick sequence down to where I could impress my buddies by doing it with flip-flops and I'm 180lbs.
When I got it, it had solid mounts with rubber bushings only a few mm thick and kept cracking the front motor mounts. I removed them and fab'd up a "floating" front mount on mine. I also shot silicone in any open hole in the frame I could find and anywhere that would hold silicone. Did the bars too. It has an anti-vibe stem on it as well. It vibrates like mad...sitting still. It'll numb your hands with a couple revs of the throttle. But get it moving and it's a different story. Still not a lot of fun to ride on long trips, only good for about 10-15 minute bursts. But that's all I really use it for anyway anymore. I have a 450R I race XC that I use on trails now. Little easier to ride. But when the cocky a-holes come out with their modded 700 Raptors and XX's and fancy Can-Am's...she comes out and puts them in their place...quick! This machine is a beast and well known around here (mainly based on its reputation before I got it). People talk about how their quad is sooo fast but at some point, the conversation always turns to "yeah, well there's this old 250R with a CR500 motor in it around here that's stupid fast." I just grin and enjoy. That's why I have her and why I will never sell her and why I will continue to strive to figure the dreaded harmonics out. One day (and it may and probably will be after I die) I will ride her vibration free. I've got some schooling in mechanics and my brother has a Mechanical Engineering degree and we've both dabbled with the harmonics on this thing. To him, it's almost the ultimate challenge because no one has figured it out completely yet. That's the beauty of it too. He how does, and can make it accessable to the masses, will be imortalized. Mart, I don't think you're far away. lol
Quick question now...my shifter is entirely too short. I need to extend it about 2-3 inches. Any advice on shifters that would work other than cutting it and lengthening it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like this thread stopped a while back. I am starting a cr500 conversion. Bought an 87 TRX250r thats been sitting and neglected for about ten years. I have been following these forums and builds for a couple of years, seen all the reasons not to do it but i just can't pass up the opportunity to try it. I ride a CR500 as my trail bike my current bike is a 2006 CRF450R aluminum frame conversion i did myself. My quad is a LT500R, love big bore two strokes. Like i said i have heard all the reasons not to do it the main ones not hacking up 250r frames and the vibrations. I don't consider it hacking up a frame , especially in my case when the quad i bought had been sitting and rusting away. I'm bringing it back to life. Now the second point i get it they vibrate but hopefully with all the info out there it will be tolerable. I am going with the solid mount, short as possible mounts, tie the top and bottom rails together, anti vibe stem Flexx bars rubber mounts for the exhaust. Only paid four hundred for the quad, the 86CR500 motor i have had for years so it will be a fairly inexpensive build.

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
Looks like this thread stopped a while back. I am starting a cr500 conversion. Bought an 87 TRX250r thats been sitting and neglected for about ten years. I have been following these forums and builds for a couple of years, seen all the reasons not to do it but i just can't pass up the opportunity to try it. I ride a CR500 as my trail bike my current bike is a 2006 CRF450R aluminum frame conversion i did myself. My quad is a LT500R, love big bore two strokes. Like i said i have heard all the reasons not to do it the main ones not hacking up 250r frames and the vibrations. I don't consider it hacking up a frame , especially in my case when the quad i bought had been sitting and rusting away. I'm bringing it back to life. Now the second point i get it they vibrate but hopefully with all the info out there it will be tolerable. I am going with the solid mount, short as possible mounts, tie the top and bottom rails together, anti vibe stem Flexx bars rubber mounts for the exhaust. Only paid four hundred for the quad, the 86CR500 motor i have had for years so it will be a fairly inexpensive build.
Be sure to make a build thread. I'm excited to see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dezsled
I was thinking of doing the cr500 in a trx frame but went with a lt500 instead.

I have an LT500R motor as well , but i really need to try the CR500R motor first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will get some photos up as i go. Are you guys modifing the swing arm bearing collar on the chain side of the motor? I need the motor to move over about 3/16" to have the sprockets line up.

1421 - 1440 of 1461 Posts