Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1461 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hell No, I won't be done with it in time.

I've got a Passion 12 port, 4mil, RZ Banshee ( that I have to finish paying for, before I get all the parts back ) that I also need to finish for myself.

As for the 500r, I am going to build a cradle that bolts to both front and lower engine mounts, the frame below the engine is going to be plated in with 3/16, and that will be bolted to 2 GM transmission mounts.

The swing arm pivot on the engine, I reamed out to 25mm and the I put some leaf spring eye busings in ( those had to be reamed out slightly also to pass the swinger bolt thru.

The head stay, I obviously will be making a new one of those, but the neat thing I found to isolate that, comes from a Banshee. The lower torque struts on the Banshee have vulcanized rubber bushings at each end and takes the same bolt diameter as the head stay as well as the rest of the 500 engine mounting bolt holes.

The frame has large expanses of metal in the engine compartment, which needs to be cured and extra tubing put in to close it up a little bit, basically adding a lot more rigidity to the frame around the engine area. The downfall to this is adding wheight to the frame, but We don't give a real big shit about that because it is a play / dune quad.

The intake is going to have to be cut and repositioned to get the carb to clear the frame but no biggie there.

To get the kicker to clear the frame, I am going to try and make a new kicker shaft that will be 1" longer to get the kicker out far enough from the frame, but then there is the pipe issue ( I haven't gotten that far yet to know if the kicker when folded forward will clear the pipe yet ). I will get some pics up and as I progress, I will keep everyone interested up to date.

Sorry for such a long post, this kinda stuff gets me excited.

Mike

·
DEY TUK ER JUBBS
3,224 Posts
rsss396 said:
Are you going to the E2S outing in Aug with it? I also have a TRX 500 that I will have there.
My biggest short fall with my bike has been being able to kick start it. I currently start it with a hand held starter.
No matter how you mount it will vibrate, mine vibrates less than most but it still shakes parts off it.
thats what the deal is with our 500 blaster the kickstarter vibrated off and we lost it now it has to be pull started and we can't find a kickstarter anywhere:angry4:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Go

I also did a cradle for the front & mid motor mounts that goes to a single 2" round rubber isolator mounted verticaly, the head stay uses the same style isolator but it is mounted horizontal. The rear motor mount uses the swingarm bolt with a 86 style swingarm.
I have seen at least three motors with broken front motor mounts that were solid mounted, the cradle system should be much more forgiving. I do use a double heim joint to keep the motor straight in line when torque is being applied.

The kick starter I use is from a early to mid eightys honda four stroke that was about 600cc in a enduro bike that had a steel kicker.
It has a good length and can be heated and bent to the shape you need.
I think the biggest problem is the rear brake lever keeps me from getting a nice 180degree kick on the starter.
I also have a compression release on the cylinder and it does help but its still a major pain.
I kind of think the stator on 500's are not as good of a design (single coil) as the later cr250 that is a radial layout. The 85 had a simular radial design then 86 went to a 2 coil design that incorporated a low speed coil but after 87 they went to a single coil design.
________
Fix ps3

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey rsss396, could you post some detailed pics of your set up ?

I have noticed from pics that alot of installations have the motor mounted at some weird ass angles, they are either kicked way up in the front or kicked way up in the rear. I'm trying to go for a real clean install. If you look at how I have my motor sitting you will notice that it is all the way over to the left so that the sprockets line up and the head stay is lined up where the factry one would also ( just the height is different ). The "Honda" lettering on the clutch cover sits damn near paralell to the bottom of the frame justa as it does in the bike and or the 250r engine in the quad

Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
That looks like a pretty clean install.........alot better than most I have seen pics of !

I will try to get a few pics of some of the frame mods I have done so far, but I still have plenty to do for my satisfaction before I can finish mounting the motor.

As for the kicker shaft, I am not for sure how hard they are yet but, I am going to try and get another one, basically cut the 2 shafts and have a chamffer turned on each and try welding them together to make ait an inch longer, then have it finish turned back to the original O.D. If that doesn't work maybe check and see about having a machine shop make a whole new one.

Do you have rubber in the swinger pivot area also ?

Thanks for your pics, if you could get some more I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
RZBansheeMan said:
That looks like a pretty clean install.........alot better than most I have seen pics of !

I will try to get a few pics of some of the frame mods I have done so far, but I still have plenty to do for my satisfaction before I can finish mounting the motor.

As for the kicker shaft, I am not for sure how hard they are yet but, I am going to try and get another one, basically cut the 2 shafts and have a chamffer turned on each and try welding them together to make ait an inch longer, then have it finish turned back to the original O.D. If that doesn't work maybe check and see about having a machine shop make a whole new one.

Do you have rubber in the swinger pivot area also ?

Thanks for your pics, if you could get some more I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

Did you see the pics of my kicker at the end of the first page? It was done like you are talking about doing and it works well for me, I had to attatch a support to the frame to take stress of the case.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did, but could you get some more close up pics and at a few different angles ?

The only thing that has me concerned about with a set up like that, is my whole engine is going to be somewhat floating in rubber mounts, and if the kicker shaft runs thru a solid support like that there will be conflict of metal to metal. I think that could cause shaft or case problems on that side.

Mike

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I see your point, that might be a problem. Left the camera at a friends house but I will get some more pics up in a day or two. Did you see hilpp99's pics of his rubberized mounts? I was wondering if that rear mount being up and away from the swingarm like that would cause problems with the chain tension.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't mean to knock anybodies work, but...............
I'm guessing that set up isn't going to work very well, for a few reasons.

First reason - the countershaft sprocket should be as close to the swing arm pivot point as possible and it appears that there is only one mounting point on that rubber mount, there should be a couple and have them spread apart a bit. I'm thinking that the torque of the motor could pull it towards the left and throw the sprockets out of alignment. I could be wrong though.

Second reason - is the 88 - 89 swingers, if I'm not mistaken, is 1 inch shorter than the steel versions which is an ultimate NO-NO with this much power. I think a better route to have taken is to either cut the center of the pivot area out of the swinger to similate the earlier year parts or swap in a earlier swinger and get the engine mounted down as low as possible and get the front sprocket back as far as possible.

Mike

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
that is what i was thinking

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am going to get some pics tonight of my progress so far and try to get them posted. It could be further along than what it is but I just lack some motivation sometimes. I also think and rethink and rethink sometimes when I'm doing custom projects like this.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
250r modified

I race with a guy that has a 500 cyl on a 250r bottom end. I am not sure who did the mod's but it run's real good. He said it run a snowmobile reed cage and is on alcohol. I know he said it had alot of compression and had issues with plugs backing out. Maybe somebody has heard of this and could help. It will be 3 weeks before I will see him again, but I will try and ask him who did the mod's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well here in a few weeks I will be able to tell you guys how it works. If it doesn't I guess its a good thing I am able to change it. I don't think I will have to worry about chain tension the engine is actually pretty solid. Whats the problem with the 88-89 swinger? Look at the pictures, the head stay and the front cradle wont let that motor move very much if any at all. I do appreciate you guys picking things out though, I know there are plenty of things I have to improve on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think there was a place called Mac Racing or something like that, that was mating the CR 500 topend to the TRX bottom, they also had some videos. Seems like it was very extensive engine case mods.

I cant find anything on them though.

Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
hilpp99 said:
Well here in a few weeks I will be able to tell you guys how it works. If it doesn't I guess its a good thing I am able to change it. I don't think I will have to worry about chain tension the engine is actually pretty solid. Whats the problem with the 88-89 swinger? Look at the pictures, the head stay and the front cradle wont let that motor move very much if any at all. I do appreciate you guys picking things out though, I know there are plenty of things I have to improve on.

I hope you don't take any offense to what I have said, making enimies or offending people is not my goal.

The 88 - 89 swinger is shorter than the earlier models, and with as much power as you are strapping in, it's gonna wanna flip on ya every chance it can.

The thing with a project like this is, there is no one way of doing this, I am expecting to have to modify and or correct things on my project after it is up and running.

Mike

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hilpp99 said:

By the way I wasn't trying to knock your work, it is actually done very well and looks clean. I was actually wondering if it was going to be a problem or maybe if it was a better setup I might try it on mine since I was thinking of re-fabing my mounts to add some rubber.

The reason that I was thinking that the chain tension might be a problem is when the swingarm moves up and down, the distance between the sprockets changes, so the closer the sprocket is to the swingarm pivot the less this will effect the chain tension, or at least it seems to me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
RZBansheeMan said:
I did, but could you get some more close up pics and at a few different angles ?

The only thing that has me concerned about with a set up like that, is my whole engine is going to be somewhat floating in rubber mounts, and if the kicker shaft runs thru a solid support like that there will be conflict of metal to metal. I think that could cause shaft or case problems on that side.

Mike

I was thinking about this because I am planning to make new mounts for mine and would probably run into the same problem. So I was thinking about mounting my brace to the engine where the mid and front mounts go, might look funny but that way it would move with the motor and not stress the kicker or the case.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
not that you sounded that way, I just didn't want to come across like I didn't like your work. By the way that front mount looks particularly good I am really wanting to hear how it works. I will probably try it on mine if it works for you.

did you find a carb yet?

21 - 40 of 1461 Posts