Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Hope all is well!

I have a problem. I purchased a 500 motor that had a busted side case where the kicker shaft seats in the case. It came with a case to swap in and fix it. I spent a few hours tearing the motor down and replacing bearings, seals, and gaskets and putting it all back together. When I go to put the cylinder on I notice a HUGE problem. The side case I swapped in has a deck height way to low and it also appears that where the sleeve inserts into the cases does not have a large enough diameter either.

It looks to me like the base on the replaced side has been milled but I don't get why? Or is it just from a different year with a different deck height?

I'm fairly certain my motor was an 89.

Pic for reference.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I confirmed from the casting number the stator side case that is original to this motor is an 89.

Now anyone have any idea how to identify what year the clutch side case is?

Pics.

Here are some pics of the clutch side case that I had to replace that ended up having a drastically different deck height.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Don't take this as the gospel truth but I believe the 85-88 had a shorter connecting rod. If that is correct that would explain the different deck height's.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't take this as the gospel truth but I believe the 85-88 had a shorter connecting rod. If that is correct that would explain the different deck height's.
Thanks for the input. I am a member over on bannedcr500 riders but the damn sticky that has all the motor differences is down.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. That project is long gone and never completed. I had the motor welded back and sold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts