Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 summers ago I bought an 86 honda 250R atc a guy had sitting around I cleaned it all up and got It running. The thing ran like a raped ape all summer long and continued to until this last summer about mid way throught it just died on my step son in the middle of ride. The motor wasn’t over heated, it had coolant, oil level was good, and it had good spark. But wouldn’t start. I got tried of messing with it and put it way. The other day I decided to dig it back out and look it over. I took the carb off and made sure that the floats were adjusted correctly, while I had the carb off I read that the reeds could be bad and that if they were i could flip the reeds over and get some more time out of them so I checked this and fond that I need to flip the reeds so I did. The bike started and idled normally for the bike. Started riding it in first gear felt normal shifted to second gear for about 30 seconds tried to give it a little more gas and it just fell flat and died. The bike will not start Back up. The bike has good spark, fresh fuel, fuel mixture is 32:1, the air screw is opened to 2 ¼ turns as my Clymer manual suggest. Waited 10 – 15 minutes just to see if maybe it was flooded, still won’t start. I could use a little help and a few ideas.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
If you flipped the reeds and it started, You might want to pull the reed cage again and check them again.

There might be a possibility that one of them broke. or It might just be coincidence that it started up after sitting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Listen to LT80 before you go any further. Do a compression check. This has been the standard engine condition test since the internal combustion engine was invented.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, you should have at least 100psi to run decent. Now that is a ball park figure, nevertheless, see what you have. That is more important that what it should be . . . if that makes sense

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Just double check the reeds.. And did you recheck the plug for spark... might be a poss. that it fouled or an intermittent ignition stator. Did you try starting fluid in the air filter? still might be a fuel issue.

Sure you're foot is killing you from kicking it..Try having someone "pull start you" and see what happens.

When pull starting, make sure that you are in 2nd gear to have the motor spin much faster to create more combustion pressure.

Let us know...how did you make out with a kick start compression check ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I did the compression check with the bike cold sence I can't get it started right now the reading was 163 psi, then pulled the reads out and looked them over really good; while with the human eye they looked good no cracks, chips, splits, and they appeared to be making a good seal, but after putting a little fuel around the edge of the reeds to see if they were making a good seal; it showed that the reeds are not completely sealing. That being said I think that's just saying they will work but I definitely need to get some new ones soon.

I will have to double check the spark when I have two people here later. I have not tried starting fluid or pull starting maybe I can do all of these tomarrow, I might have some help. Never thought that I'd be wish that one of my kids was a lazy bum just sitting around the house. LOL thank god their not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the condition of the spark plug? I did not see any mention of that. Buy and use a new plug just in case. Make sure the spark plug 'boot" is connected to the coil wire.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
I did have an issue years ago with my 86 LT where the wiring harness fell down and was resting on the front pipe and was intermittently grounding out causing it to shut off while trail riding.

Just another thought that came to mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have an issue years ago with my 86 LT where the wiring harness fell down and was resting on the front pipe and was intermittently grounding out causing it to shut off while trail riding.

Just another thought that came to mind.
That's interesting I know the previous owner did some cutting on the wiring harness, but I haven't looked it over very well.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
That may be your issue.
Especially if they used "butt crimp style" connectors.
If they didn't crimp one wire good enough, It may have pulled out just enough to cause it to shut down.
Been there and had it happen to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, Managed to get the bike to start today and it idled for about 10 min ( idling being lightly holding the slack out of thumb throttle ) before it just died and wouldn't start again. I was also able to check the spark which is good. I also did another compression check after it died funny enough I got a reading of 165 psi; compared two the cold check of 163 psi. I will still be looking at the wiring harness today.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Keep us posted on how you make out.

joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got in from working the bike. I did find that the yellow wire off of (what I've be told is) AC regulator that goes to the stator was pinched between the frame and the sub tank; the wire was warren through and frayed. So I fixed that wire, also found that the brown wire off the AC regulator that should be grounded to the frame was just hanging free. Tomorrow I get to start looking at the front part of the wiring harness.

The one good thing I can say about the previous owners wiring skills is that he used solder when he made connections that being said there sure are a lot of solder joints in these few wires at the back of the bike. Can't wait to get started on the front.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Good luck! hate to say it but, I hope you find a bad wire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, finished with the wiring harness; no bad wires. Had an idea that it might be the engine kill button ( there is some sort of spring loaded push button on this bike. For now! I'll fix that the proper kill/light switch later.) as it doesn't look like it's very high in quality or very water/dirt proof. Anyway I disconnected it and managed to get the bike to start up. Yeah the bike is fixed right? Nope wrong answer the bike only ran for about 5 minutes then started to bog down then died. I check the temp of the motor and could put my hand on the side of cylinder and leave it there so it's not over heating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry got call for dinner mid post.

So going down the list of must haves for the bike to run:

1. Spark; I've got good spark. Checked this in the following ways: old plug, new plug, slightly used plug, and screwdriver to case all show good healthy bright spark.

2. Fuel; Got good fresh fuel. The fuel flows freely through the fuel valve.
  1. Carb air screw set at 2 1/4 turns out as per manual.
  2. Float level; Floats have been adjusted to 16mm (0.63 in.) using digital calipers.

3. Air; Cleaned the K&N Air Filter with K&N filter kit as best as I could. I have definitely seen filters in better condition but air does go through it.

It's like something is quitting just as the bike starts to get warm or it's running out of fuel.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts