Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With gas prices on the rise and my 2004 CR250 beginning to bore, I have decided to consider alternative fuels. I can get 104 octane race fuel for marginally more than what I'm paying for 93 pump gas crap, and bump the compression at the same time. So it really doesnt make much sense anymore. While looking at race fuels, I came across Methanol for 150 dollars for a 55 gallon drum, significantly cheaper than race fuel. I have also read that methanol burns cooler and far cleaner than gasoline, so looking into it does not seem like such a bad idea. I also have read however, that I need to covert my carb to accept methanol.

Just looking for some opinions on this, good or bad idea? Also, what kind of compression can I run on my engine with methanol what is its octane equivilant?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
imp pretty sure yo u want very high compression for methanol and nitro fuels. if it were me id try just running 100ll avaition fuel like i do .theres little/ and/ or no jetting compression changes and its very cheap. last time i got some was 2.79$ a gallon and they pump it for you too!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can probably get avgas easily, but that just means I need to run to the local airport on a regular basis. There is a station around here that pumps 104 octane gas, but its about 5 dollars a gallon and is out of the way quite a bit. It would be nice to have a 55 gallon drum of either methanol or race gas in the garage. The other thing about methanol is, how cool would it be to say, "ya its runnin on alky".

·
Registered
455 Posts
yea ive heard methanol runs cooler too but i dont no where youg et methanol. what do alcohol bikes run isnt it methanol or kersoene or something like that?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a great article on methanol and converting the engine to accept the fuel. Turns out you need about twice the amount of methanol as you do gasoline to acheive proper mixture, so you can run a 6:1 air/fuel ratio. I dont think my carb even with the largest jets mikuni makes could supply that amount of fuel. I would probably have to swap out carbs. So even though its about half the cost of race fuel, Id use twice as much of it. I can probably get a 15-20 percent gain from just methanol and compression changes.

Heres the link http://sneakypetespullers.com/technical Articles.htm

·
cocky knowitall bastard
2,695 Posts
You dont need high compression for methanol, it will work just fine on anymotor although it likes bigger ports higher durations etc. It does flow at 2-3 times the rate of gas so a different carberator is needed, plus a different valve or drilled out stock one. Then after you ride it you must purge the alcohol out of the bike so it does not draw moisture out of the air into your crankcase thus rusting your lowerend bearings. I wouldnt really suggest it to you for your situation, in fact I wouldnt really suggest it to anyone who doesnt fully understand what and why about it otherwise you will end up burning up a motor or not getting it to run close to potential.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aviation fuel is still the same price here in pensacola that it was 2 yrs ago. I would recommend 110 or 112. Too much methanol will start eating away at your rubber gaskets so make sure to keep plenty of those on hand. What about breathing? Ports open good enough? More air is the key to any engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts