Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually the bearing I was talking about is at the other end of the connecting rod
You need to see if the washers shot through the case. You could try filling the crankcase (around the crank not gearbox) with liquid. Preferably not water haha.
if it leaks out into the gearbox theres a hole. Or a very leaky crank seal

As for the cylinder head. Yes, you could technically still use it but it's not advisable as it might cause hot spots and detonation

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
IMAG0046.jpg Found this as well in the cylinder. One of the tabs on the bottom is broken off. New sleeve/new cylinder? IMAG0047.jpg IMAG0048.jpg Got this other cylinder with it with a bit of surface rust/corrosion. Would cleaning it up and boring be the most cost effective instead of fixing the other one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep that first cylinder needs a new sleeve there.
Good thing you have another cylinder. Some surface rust is no problem it should clean up good
you have checked the connecting rod big end bearing for up/down play?

·
Registered
572 Posts
You still need to be concerned with those wristpin washers. The OEM ones were metal so stick a magnet down in the crankcase and see if you find any pieces. If you do they will need cleaned out. It's possible that whoever put it together last time left them out, not smart but I've heard of people doing it. They are there to keep the piston centered in the cylinder.

I'd measure that second cylinder and make sure you still have enough room for a bore. If it's not scarred up too bad you can just buy the next sized piston, the shop will need the piston to fit it to the bore. No way I'd reuse that head. Pick one up off ebay or buy a coolhead for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Bored and all back together but the clutch is still binding. Like the shaft in the clutch cover won't turn when it's all together. The springs seem to stiff for it to pull out on the pressure plate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Snap a pic of the clutch basket from the top so we can see.
If I understand you right, then the pressure plate was not lined up correctly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The pressure plate is lined up fine but the vertical shaft slips off the rack when it tries to pull out the clutch plate because the springs are too strong. I can't even pull out the pressure plate with vice grips on the rack

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, Im doubting it's the springs being too strong, and thinking it may be worn the teeth on the pinion(vertical shaft)and rack.
Especially if you've clamped vice grips onto the rack a few times.
Also, I've never been able to pull hard enough against the pressure plate to separate the clutch plates. Theres really a lot of lever action going on with the rack and pinion

21 - 29 of 29 Posts