Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok,

Been reading a lot about chasing air leaks on here. I have found my primary leak. I see that it is come from the sprocket area when I pinch off the breather tube.

Its an 87 LT250r.

What is my next step?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sounds like it is leaking into the transmission from the crank case which would on most of the Honda's I'm familiar with indicate a right side crank seal (behind the clutch/counterbalancer/water pump mechanisms), a potentially cracked case from a previous bottom end catastrophe, or a sucked gasket. Not familiar first hand with the LTs, but basically its leeching air out into your transmission somewhere :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Best to find where it's leaking before just throwing parts at it. Definately won't hurt to have new crank seals. Recently worked on two different Blasters with bad crank seals. One, the clutch side seal was in several pieces and had sucked trans dry but hadn't destroyed piston "yet". Other one stator side leaked enough it smoked the piston. This was on a "flipper"

IMHO, crank seals should be considered "preventive maintenace" if you have no idea how old they are, or you know they are 5+ yrs old, change them. Way cheaper than pistons, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, Blasters sometimes leak at collar on crank, Banshees at keyway, on clutch side. This may be area to pay attention to if your eng has anything simular to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts