Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has been posted before.
Its one step forward in my book.
But here it is from the michigan.gov website:

Where can I ride my ORV on streets and roads in Michigan?

Public Act 240 of 2008 allows local units of government in certain counties in northern Lower Michigan and the Upper Peninsula to adopt ordinances authorizing ORV operation on the maintained portion of streets and roads within their local jurisdiction. The new law took effect July 17, 2008.

Under the new law, counties must provide a 45-day comment period to their county road commissioners. All previously approved local ordinances are null and void, and any new ordinance won't take effect until it is officially adopted by the local unit of government following the 45-day comment period.

DNR will only be keeping a listing of state-designated trails that are open to ORVs on state and federally managed lands. Click on the link below for trail maps:
DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

It is up to riders to contact the local units of government to find out which county roads are open to ORV riding.

Read more about Public Act 240 of 2008, click on the link below:
Michigan Legislature

·
Registered
654 Posts
some counties in indiana u can ride a atv on county roads if its regestered with the dnr

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda funny how they say counties in the UP, and in lower northern, but not southern. But Indiana will. Why the void?

I guess its just population, but still, if you are gonna to let the local governments make their own decision, why not the whole state?

Their are plenty of non-urban areas in southern michigan.

·
Registered
654 Posts
in indiana thers only like a dozen or so that let u ride (id have to look it up for sure), it has to do with farming area, im lucky im in one of the countys that let me ride on the road,

·
Registered
466 Posts
each city twp or county has to vote on it not saying that every county will do it but up by st helen they did a trial run and it worked out great ,, the reason up north is to have more access to trail systems lower population im sure is key basicly gladwin county north and draw a line across the state and from there up is where it is possible to have it voted into effect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts