Everything2Stroke Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'd LOVE to get an education in hydroforming, I get the process in general, but how the heck do you lay out the piece on a sheet metal template to begin with and keep your necessary pipe dimensions?!

Thats always perplexed me, I'm sure like anything it is a fairly simple process once you understand the mechanics of it, but I don't even know where to start with that. If you get some time and would like to share, I'd love to hear and learn some more about building a pipe with that process.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Years ago I saw a thing on Hydoforming...
Basically, cut your templates out, weld them together. weld the one end, weld a pressure washer end on the other end , then pull the trigger and slowly watch the pipe expand. but...like the previous post...If not careful, the pipe will buckle!

Obviously, there is a more professional way to do it.

Does anyone have experience in Hyroforming?

If you have a good MIG, TIG welder and a good "high" pressure washer, and patience, I think you'd be able to make a pipe.

Unless, you need a steel die to lay the pipe template into and close the clam shells, secure and crank the hydraulic pressure up to form and prevent the buckle'ing..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to type in a huge explanation on here but instead of crudding up your thread of pure awesomeness (pipe looks BITCHIN' btw) I'm simply going to start another one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They have incredibly strong expanding foam they use to lift concrete blocks to level them and a chemical they inject as soon as its perfect and the expansion stops instantly . I watched them level 12" thick 10'x10' pads of concrete just by drilling holes in the concrete and pumping in foam it was amazing ! you could probably expand a pipe with that then find a chemical to eat the foam out ! I have cut an old fmf from a yz250 and made it fit my 87 lt and then fit my buddies zilla but that was only a few seams :) beautiful pipe tho ! congrats I give it a 10 out of 10 for a firt pipe ! a custom body work guy could probably build a nice pipe by hammering out the expansion chamber from flat stock in two halves! Jesse James makes gas tanks and fenders from flat stock so why not build a pipe?? Winkdogg!

81 - 84 of 84 Posts