Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my blaster put back together after a complete rebuild, repaint, ect. I started it up tonight and it sounded really good and throttle respones was very good. (at least below 3-4000 RPM) After letting it run for a minute or two, I was going to drive it up and down the driveway to make sure the clutch and transmission were working. I put it in 1st and let the clutch out and I started rolling backwards. The only thing that would make this happen is the engine running backwards. So I shut it off and tried restarting it. Well, it started, backwards again (not knowingly), and as I was letting the kickstarter return the gear engaged again and CRACK when my case and cover. So now I have to rip the engine apart again. DAMN!!!!!!!!:angry1:

Anyone have any ideas on why the engine would keep starting backwards? Also if anyone has a right case laying around I might buy it off ya because E-bay doesn't have any right now.

·
Resident Genius
1,650 Posts
My cousin's Banshee did this. It died on him. Then it was hard to start and wouldn't stay running. And when he tried to pull out it would try to go in reverse and then die. Everybody on the site told me it was a sheared key, but they were wrong in that case. The next day he put in new plugs and it ran fine and has run fine ever since.

·
Registered
337 Posts
a while back i tried pop startin my blaster in reverse and it wouldn't start. it wasn't the best idea im sure. but i know some snowmobiles can do it so i figured why not try. i am guessing that the timing has something to do with your problems but what do i know? :D

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
yea i also bet that it is the timming issue, but it could be other things, i just dont know what

·
Registered
607 Posts
thats weird, just think tho, goin like 60 in reverse would be pretty cool, now u'd have a front wheel drive quad, and it would be rear steer tooo

i've nvr herd of that happenin tho

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
yea you might think it would be fun, til you would go and roll it going 60 in reverse

·
Registered
607 Posts
i know, its just a thought, im just saying it would look pretty cool seeing a blaster goin like 60 down the road in reverse

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
haha a person from my school did that with his truck, well i dont know about going 60 but he was crusing cuz he crashed his truck so something was up with the driveshaft or something so that when he went forward it would grind or something but in reverse it wouldnt, so he drove it around backwards to get where he needed it to have it fixed

·
Registered
106 Posts
wow Ive never heard of that one on a bike engine. We had a two cycle lawnmower in here once that you could get goin backwards. I suppose on a two stroke engine if you got it going the wrong way it would run i reverse since it has no valves but the timing would be off so if it ran it should run like crap. Is it possible that the kick starter was assembled wrong and your kicking it over the wrong way?

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
tecate boy is right. . . it is a timing issue. . . you know how people advance their timing so their bikes fire quicker. . . it's that the timing is so far advanced it's reversed. . . . . . ***'s little bro had a blaster that did that. . . .

·
Registered
240 Posts
369PortingPrincess said:
tecate boy is right. . . it is a timing issue. . . you know how people advance their timing so their bikes fire quicker. . . it's that the timing is so far advanced it's reversed. . . . . . ***'s little bro had a blaster that did that. . . .
yeah def the timing, i have seen many people do this when they work on there own bikes and totally overlook this. Once you get it back together just make sure your timing is correct like stated

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
also to go along with this running in reverse a person that i go to school with, well their dad drove gravel trucks for a while and they said if you would clunk out the diesel it would run in reverse sometimes. but that might have only been the truck that he had

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts