Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I picked up a 2001 yamaha 240 blaster tonight for $450 I was just making a thread to get some opinions on whether I did ok or not as I do not know anything about 2 stroke engines or atvs in general I will include some photos but from what I understand it is an 01 original plastics as they are faded pretty good some type of pipe but the exhaust is missing off of it the two cycle oil block off which I hear is good and some type of front shocks with a reservoir and a braided line so I'm guessing that's aftermarket as well guessing that is aftermarket as well overall the bike started really well when it was cold did not smoke excessively and the owner told me he just recently changed the oil with Yamalube it really hauls the mail and I was very surprised at how fast it is so I'm thinking it could possibly be bored over anyway to check for upgrades to the motor without a tear down? And also what maintenance points should I address being the new owner or is there a check list I need to go through to ensure the overall health of the bike thanks again

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Boman; since you’re a newbe you need E2S. The first items for your 2 stroke tool box are a leak down tester & compression checker. Search around thru E2S & you’ll learn how to use them.
JT

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
If it is a 240, it has a big bore kit on it. They come at 200cc's.
FYI: a period or comma every now and then helps when reading. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I'll be sure to get a compression tester in the meantime since the bike has an aftermarket pipe and a K&N filter and oil injection block off I figured when I took the carburetor apart there would be an upgraded jet but to my surprise the previous owner was running a 230 stock jet so I went ahead and ordered a 260 and a 280 and and planning on doing a few plug chops hopefully the ones I ordered will be a good match how do you guys feel about replacing the needle with the one that comes with the kit or should I just leave the stock needle alone

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay I'll be sure to get a compression tester. In the meantime since the bike has an aftermarket pipe, a K&N filter, and oil injection block off, I figured when I took the carburetor apart there would be an upgraded jet. But to my surprise the previous owner was running a 230 stock jet! So I went ahead and ordered a 260 and a 280 and and planning on doing a few plug chops. Hopefully the ones I ordered will be a good match. How do you guys feel about replacing the needle with the one that comes with the kit or should I just leave the stock needle alone?
I fixxed it.......:p

Is it breaking up on top end? Is the plug white? What makes you think that the jet in it isn't working right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts