Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will have to order jets for this, as I have no other sizes of mains or pilots.
Pilot is stock 32.5, main is stock 230.
In an attempt to make some change, good or bad, I drilled the pilot.
Stock it has a .020" I.D (at the bottom, as the rest of the inside diameter is much larger).
I drilled it to .025"
I thought surely that a 25% increase in the pilot's I.D would have made a noticeable change(again, good or bad, just for a point of reference).
It did not. No change at all.
I am at a loss with this one.
I'll have to wait until Monday and see if Boyesen has any insight to the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Will it run better with the choke pulled out a little? Is the TORS system still hooked up? I still think you need to do a leak down test to rule out the possibility of an air leak.
I found the sticky on the TORS.
I'm not familiar with them, and do not know what symptoms they have when they fail.
Does it cause the symptoms I'm having? Dieing engine and won't take the throttle?
If so, you may have solved my problem.
If I read the posts correctly(it's late, my brain is tired), I can unplug the TORS brain box under the hood, unplug it at the thumb throttle, and unplug it at the carb, and this will completely disable it? If so, I can always go back and remove all the wires from the harness.
Is there an actual "need" to replace the carb cap? Or is that just to simplify things?

I'm going to unplug it all and try it again tomorrow afternoon. Many a gremlin I have chased has been something stupid, I hope this is another.
Regardless, I learned something. I wondered exactly what that sensor was supposed to do, where the throttle cable meets the cable for the needle.
Thank you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I removed the TORS completely(just like in the sticky on this site). At the thumb throttle, the brain box itself, and at the carb. All unplugged, and the 3 grounds were cut out of the harness. I also put silicone in the hole in the throttle cable box above the carburetor to keep trash out.
Now the oil light comes on the few seconds it runs, it's harder to start, and I've had 2 small puffs of smoke come from around the header pipe, where it slides into the sleeve bolted to the cylinder.
I'm going to call Boyesen and Ken O'Conner Racing tomorrow, as I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I talked to Ken O'Connor this morning.
He said the stock 230 main jet is way too lean, and I need to start with a 310 and work down from there.
He also said to do a compression and leak down test, which I am still going to do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I put a 310 main jet in today...and it runs!
I did 3 heat cycles, let it cool again, and re-torqued the head bolts.
I have a few other things to do to it, but hopefully I can test ride it tomorrow.
I also have a 300 main jet if I need it, and will buy more if need be.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Next project will be a 500 Quadracer, hopefully sooner than later, as it keeps slipping on my priority list.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it running. Good luck with the test ride!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Glad to hear that you got it running. Good luck with the test ride!
Thank you sir, and thank you for your help.

I rode it around for about 15 minutes today.
It was in the mid 50's, so not too cold.
I could only get to 3rd gear in my yard, and I live in town and didn't want to push my luck with the neighbors.
Next door neighbor has a Blaster too, so he doesn't care, lol.
I'm going to go down to the 300 main in a few days and go from there. Overall it runs good, but the throttle could be a little more clean and responsive in the lower mid range.
Just some seat time and jet changes to get it right now.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts