Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have come across one of the most abused and neglected bikes i've ever seen, and I feel the need to share why some people shouldn't be allowed to have bikes.

I'm not even sure why I brought it home...
I guess I just couldn't stand seeing it like this.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Thats usually the best and cheapest way to find em. Make sure you take pics along the way throughout the build!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So far I have stripped the bike to the frame, stripped the frame to metal for fresh paint.
I also rebuilt the linkage, all the bearings were toasted.
Repacked swingarm and headset bearings.
To make it a good roller I still have to rebuild the forks (blown) get new wheel bearings and maybe rims, and get some rear wheel spacers (kid was riding without one).

Question, and I may have to post a pic... The rail on the swingarm that the brake caliper rides on has nasty wear marks from the caliper slapping around (from the missing wheel spacer I presume) How much could this affect braking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So today I did a more detailed cleaning of the engine, and I split the cases.
This bike was so dirty that I've spent roughly 10 hours scraping, scrubbing, degreasing and pressure washing.
That doesn't include the 2 hours I spent on the engine. This red clay baked it's self into any porous aluminum it touched.
I bet the bike hasn't been washed in 5 years.

So as for pics, lets get started.

Fresh paint

Fought this bolt for 2 hours

Fork took a bad hit, newer showas?

Seat mounts on the subframe, you can still see part of the bolt broke off in the one side

The carnage! Cylinder only suffered a small gouge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Split the cases

So i tore the motor down and split the cases.
To my surprise I found new clutch plates and springs, and the tranny is all clean and smooth shifting.
Main bearings were pretty sloppy intact.
Big end rod bearing appears good, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Compare the jug filth to the cases.... the cases looked way worse.

Not too bad looking

Split open and laid out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts