Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a banshee and it seems to have a few small problems. I noticed when i start it up there is more exhaust comin out of my left pipe than the right, and the left pipe also gets warm way before the right one does which makes me think that the piston is working harder than the other one for some reason. I also noticed that the left exhaust spits alot of oil when i rev it up, the right side does not do this. Any helpful info would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Like John said check the compression first. Both cylinders should test pretty close to each other. If it's down around 100 psi or less it may be time for a top end rebuild. If the compression is good I would start having a look at the ignition system starting with the spark plug caps and checking the rest of the components from there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Compression should be the first thing to check for sure and like BansheeKX said less than 100 psi is too low and it's time for a top end rebuild. If the compression is good then next thing is carbs. Take your seat off and the air box should be there. Take the lid and filter out and look at the slides of the carburetors. Press the throttle and check to make sure the slides move at the same time. If that isn't it or after fixing that it still acts up then take a look at your reeds.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Also, you may have a bad spark plug or bad ignition coil.
Check the compression and see if they are pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the compression first to make sure its not the worst case scenario and let you guys know... thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you hold the throttle open and kick fast?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
TOO low; should be closer to 150psi. 150psi on a high compression performance engine. I’m learning also :Dope:
At the least have a correct hone job & replace the rings. Also have the bore size measured.

·
Registered
109 Posts
TOO low; should be closer to 150psi.
At the least have a correct hone job & replace the rings. Also have the bore size measured.
That's usually the case if you have a cool head. Stock top ends make around 120-125 psi. I dunno about mine but when I tested mine it was at 135 psi so my head might be milled, not exactly sure :Crazy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys was having some trouble with my banshee didnt mean to post on your post but seemed like the easiest place labeled with trouble, i changed my wiring harness on my 2001 one banshee the person who sold it to me had some pieced together nonsense but i ended putting another one after wanting to run headlights after getting it all wired up and running i noticed a bog at WOT to be exact from 3/4 throttle to full throttle before i did rewire it was running perfect so im stumped on what it could be. Im also getting some miss fire and smoke out my right tail pipe this all began after the rewire i changed my plugs didnt fix the issue if anyone could shed some insight i would gladly appreciate it really bumed this happened Also the tors was already removed when i got the banshee tors eliminator kit is installed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Make sure the ground wire to the frame is making good contact. Check all of the connections to make sure they are clean and making good contact. You may want to remove the plug wire boots and trim the wire back a little then reconnect them just to make sure that they are making good contact. Did you change the kill switch or key switch when you rewired it? Did you have the stator out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure the ground wire to the frame is making good contact. Check all of the connections to make sure they are clean and making good contact. You may want to remove the plug wire boots and trim the wire back a little then reconnect them just to make sure that they are making good contact. Did you change the kill switch or key switch when you rewired it? Did you have the stator out?
Im going to try trimming the boots because the harness i had was used and it was spliced in spots i fixed it up but ill try the boots, and i don't get what you mean by stator out while i was connecting th harness i didn't have the stator wires connect until last. The key switch was removed before i got it so its grounded out at the moment. and the kill switch was changed but is working correctly to my knowledge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Probably ment did you remove stator while working on it. If so you might not be getting good ground at it now.
Your new problems might be because now you are getting better spark.
A Clymers repair manual will help a lot with your wireing problems.
The key switch transfers power when on. The kill switch grounds power out (when switched to off)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts