Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forums and I need some help. My Banshee makes this rattling sound that seems to be coming from the transmission and is the exact same noise as in the video below. I first thought that it was something with the flywheel and had actually found out that I hadn't tightened the flywheel nut tight enough and that the woodruff key was split in half. I went to a Yamaha dealer and got a new key and tightened it to 60lbs. It still makes this sound but I took a closer listen and to me it seems like it's something in the bottom end. I tried rolling it back into my garage and as soon as I kicked the shifter down it shifted and the motor stalled. I started it back up in enutral and gave it a little gas when I shifted and it moved forward. When I ride around there is no power loss compared to before it started this. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pu8iORiLlQ

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Our banshee makes the same noise. Has for years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And nothing has happened to it?

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Noises are common in the 2 Strokers.

1 - a worn clutch basket will create a rattling noise but will tend to disappear when you pull the clutch lever in.
a.k.a. worn clutch basket in which the clutch disks "rattle" in the basket.

2 - Yamaha Banshee's are well known for their "Trademark" Kick starter rattle. Rebuild it to the moon and it'll still come back!

Just 2 issues that come to mind.

It depends on how many hours are on the motor.

Could be piston "Slap" or maybe a worn bottom-end (lower rod bearings).

Just a couple of Ideas to look or chase at.. Good Luck and keep us posted of how you make out!

Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well I traced the noise to the head so I am thinking the spark plugs. The clutch is acting fine now and the kick starter was just rebuilt. The top end was rebuilt 5, going on 6 years ago by the previous owner. I compression tested it at 125 psi each cylinder. I took the plugs out and discovered the left plug's gap was very small, almost touching the electrode. I put them in and It still makes the noise but I decided to warm it up to temp and still the noise occurred so I ruled out it isn't piston slap. This noise used to be very miniscule and you could barely hear it but now it is loud. I also noticed that now it spits a little black oil out the left silencer which is where the noise sticks out more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I think I am just paranoid now. I got new plugs and it still made the noise but I used the old trick and put a screwdriver on my spark plug and that itself is making that noise. I put it on the head and it sounded a little faint. I am running 93 octane gas and +4 timing so I think it is all just in my head :confused5

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another update, I found out my exhaust wasn't on all the way and the expansion pipes have leaks in them so i will get the holes TIG welded. I put it back on and the noise has stopped from the top end but is now in the bottom end. I got my stock timing plate back today so I will put it on and try it tomorrow with the stock plate. I wanted to ask is there such thing as the reeds making noise? Back in the summer my reed screws came loose and the exhaust had a popping noise to it and spit black oil out the silencers, it is starting to do this again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
from the video sound it sounds like normal ware on the crank thrust washers "lower rod washers"
and the kick starter is the loudest noise

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's perfectly normal? Im not entirely sure if this might be related but I found out that the previous owner hasn't rebuild the water pump nonetheless look at it and Ive heard that the plastic gears can make an identical noise? Also when I changed the tranny fluid out about 6 months ago it was grey but I didnt think anything of it. I looked at it today and it has a grey tint so maybe I have a water pump leak?

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Unfortunately.. 2-strokers are noisy by their design.
So it maybe that you are chasing noises that are common with 2.strokers.
Unfortunately, myself or someone on this site can't just take a ride to your house to have a "in person" listen...
It maybe a normal or common noise that you are hearing.
Otherwise, how does the motor run? Trans. Shift good? Clutch hook up? Not slipping..
Like I said' ,shees are common for the kicker rattle and they will have a typical rattle,or growl in the bottom end which is normal..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah everything runs perfect. Ive been trying to find my temp gun to check the temperatures and see if it possibly my water pump but no overheating. However I'm sure that my gasket might need to replaced because of the tranny fluid like I said. Ok thanks for your help I'm sure it's always been there its just that now I've started to pay attention to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and my kickstarter doesn't rattle. I double up on my orings, just a trick I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forums and I need some help. My Banshee makes this rattling sound that seems to be coming from the transmission and is the exact same noise as in the video below. I first thought that it was something with the flywheel and had actually found out that I hadn't tightened the flywheel nut tight enough and that the woodruff key was split in half. I went to a Yamaha dealer and got a new key and tightened it to 60lbs. It still makes this sound but I took a closer listen and to me it seems like it's something in the bottom end. I tried rolling it back into my garage and as soon as I kicked the shifter down it shifted and the motor stalled. I started it back up in enutral and gave it a little gas when I shifted and it moved forward. When I ride around there is no power loss compared to before it started this. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.
Does anyone know what the cowbell or bell ringing noise that banshees make is it’s not the high pitch dinging of a two-stroke but it sounds like a bell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts