Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering that the inlet diameter for the boyesen reed cage is 35mm, would you see any benefit from having a carburetor that is any bigger (36-39mm)? The way I see it is, you still have a 35mm bottleneck impeding your airflow at high RPM, and a decreased airflow velocity in the wider carb's venturi hurting your low RPM performance. What do you all think?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Funny!

"dimsi," if you really wanted to size carbs to reedblocks, I'd think you'd start by testing the flow-rates of each. Probably the carb manufacturers can tell you roughly what their carbs will flow with a given pressure-drop, but you probably would have to do your own tests (or have them done) for reedblocks. This would be an interesting exercise; I suppose someone has done it, but have no idea who. You can Google something like, "build your own flow-bench" and get various plans for building a simple rig using your shop-vac. You couldn't get numbers that you could accurately compare with other folks' flow-tests (which are not too trustworthy for comparability anyway). But with some practice you sure could make your own comparative tests, providing you account for variables such as temperature and barometric pressure. Ultimately you'd want a reedblock that flowed at least as well as, and probably a good deal better than, the carb you want to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts