1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
423 Posts
Trend Micro no questions asked, the absolute best virus/spyware/malware/intrusion/networking etc... scanner, protector there is.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have McAfee Small Business on my work laptop and Norton on 2 of my home PCs. Both are constantly working in the backround and tend to slow the computer down. AVG is very good and it's free at download.com. I've never had a problem with it and when my Norton is up I'm switching over to it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Go to www.downloads.com and download a free version of AVGfree. I have been using it for the past 3 years and have had no problems. It updates on a daily basis when you want it to. Also download ADAware and install it. It's also free and run it after cleaning out the TIF's and it will clean out the malware and other harmful shit that comes through websites.

·
Selling Banshee
377 Posts
I run Norton Anti-Virus and it's great. I also heard from the local computer shop AVG is real good and they recommend it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Norton Anti-Virus is a VIRUS. I used it for 4 years and had a few virus's and nothing with AVG.

·
4stokesLazy2strokesCrazy!
7,770 Posts
I use SpyBoot search and destroy. It's free and finds everything.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Paulie B said:
I use SpyBoot search and destroy. It's free and finds everything.
Spybot is only for spyware/malware. Its not a full fledged virus scanner

·
Registered
373 Posts
mcaffe and norton suck horrible, all they do is annoy with with upgrades. get AVG or AlarmZone, those are the two best ones i use personally and havnt gotton a virus or worm or infection EVER.

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
You guys need to do a little more research...

Norton is terrible, a system resource hog and handles trojans and worms like shit.
McAffee is junk, why do you think it comes for free on some computers, and some providers offer it for free.

AVG misses 15 to 20% of the shit out there, has the worst scanning engine, etc. And that goes for the free and paid versions of it.

You guys need a layered approach to security, you also need to educate yourselves and kids/spouses, etc on how to not just "Click OK" for anything that pops on the screen.

There are two consistently ranked Antivirus programs out there.

The first is Kaspersky, made by Kaspersky labs. The second is NOD32, made by ESet.

In completely anonymous testing (read...no corporate $$ Sponsorship) they always place in the top two. I was a Norton user since thd mid to late 90s.

I've switched to Nod32, and haven't looked back. Any antivirus program worth having is worth paying for. It cost 25 bucks a year, you can get the OEM version from newegg.com for 25 and free shipping.

That's only one issue. You need a hardware firewall in place first. Some ISPs provide them, some don't. If your ISP doesn't provide them, get a Linksys, Netgear or D Link router. They can work with cable, DSL, satellite, etc.

The second is a software firewall. It monitors incoming and outgoing from your PC. Windows XP SP2 or Vista's built in firewall are about 50% efficient. They monitor coming in...they do not monitor what is going out.

Kerio, Zone Alarm are both good choices. I personally use Sygate. Although Symantec bought them out...you can still find a "Pre-symantec" Sygate firewall if you try. Free version works great.

Then there's spyware/malware.
Webroot spysweeper usually gets the high marks. Keep it updated, scan freequently. Spyware blaster is another nice utility, update it and enable all protection, it's free.

TrendMicro and Panda Online both have nice online scanners that work and should be used as a backup to your antivirus software...just to be safe.

There is NO be all, save all all in one box solution that works worth a damn. I test and RD quite a few for work, often before they become publicly available.....

Many of the all in ones are just resource hogs...bring even the fastest/newest computer to it's knees.

I hope some of this helps someone out there....:) I see all kinds of infected computers by people who SWEAR they're not...until I show them, then I show them the bill....LOL.

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
CC Cleaner is also a nice, free download that can fix up corrupted or empty registry entries, delete stale internet/browsing cache...cookies, etc.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I also use window washer 4.0 and dustbuster pro. Both work great at cleaning out all the registry's and dead files. Another thing I do after the cleaning is defrag and scandisk. I will check out the antivirus you talk about daj.

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
Diskeeper is the best defrag program out.
Don't need to run scan disk on W2K and XP machines. Today's hard drives are pretty robust. Sure, they fail once in a while...
You're better off running the manufacturer's diagnostic tools to check the integrity of your hard drive. Western Digital, Seagate (which bought out Maxtor) etc., all have drive fitness tests on their website than can be downloaded and burned to a bootable CD and often they can create a bootable floppy as well, whatever you're comfortable making.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
Yep...sure do! It deletes a lot of JUNK that IE or Firefox don't when you use their "built in" clean features. I recently had a friends computer...I KID YOU NOT, CC Cleaner deleted 16.4 GB of cached/stale data. ON a 40 GB drive that was nearly full....it made a BIG difference.

Keep in mind, if you have websites (as we all do, forums, etc. that you save your user name and password on, you will have to reenter and save that the next time you go to the site.)
I have to re-enter my user ID and password on here, HQ and PS when I run the cc cleaner....big deal...LOL.

Here you go...

http://www.ccleaner.com/

·
Face Down in a brewski
2,821 Posts
Tell you what...guys. I'd be happy to put together a sticky of useful tech tools for cleaning and maintaining your computer...and I'll see if Jason or Chris can sticky it...

Any of you guys interested in something like that??

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 31 Posts