Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found another wounded buffalo out in a guys leanto this weekend. 1987 lt500r, nothing special. Has white plastics with no visible cracks, needs a new hood. I have a couple laying around but I like the OE hood better than maiers. Rear shock is like new, great shape, fronts have good cushion too. All Oe rims and an extra set of OE rims with like new front sand tires mounted. Dirt tires on OE, dunlop fronts, realtors on back. Came with a box of extra stuff too, good clutch cover, stator cover, thumbthrottle, tons of reeds, intake boot, reedvalves, Extra Mint headlight assembly, k&n filter. For the bad, guy said it had a blown head gasket and he couldn't get it to hold without leaking. Pulled the head and checked the headstuds, 2 of the 6 were pulled. Got the parts to fix em, just going to helicoil since Im sending all six of my cylinder heads off to HPR next week for Oring mods, screw the head gaskets, sick of em. Anyway, measured the cylinder and its stock bore with a fresh sleeve job. 86mm. with a like new piston in it. Looked like it had only a couple of hours on it. I think either the guy over torqed the head or never inspected after the resleeve job. Cylinders coming off and im swapping the thrust washers for the billet alum ones, since I already have an extra couple sets. Man this thing is UGLY right now, coolant puke all over the cylinder and 6 months of dirt and crap sitting on it outside under a leantoo. glad I grabbed it before winter set in here. I wasn't thinking when I got home, I was too excited to tear into it so I didn't get any pics til I had it halfway tore apart. .... here's the heard.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
not to bad, how much

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like a sweet ride! I have heard about people getting the cylinders o-ringed on here before. Can you explain briefly why using the o-ring is better than the gasket? Also how much it costs to have done? Congrats on the new bike!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why are you modifying 6 cyl heads ? Do they all have different cc combustion chambers?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sambone he's sending his cylinder heads off to be o ringed. Advantage to o ringing a head vs head gasket is you don't have to replace the $35-$55 head gasket everytime you remove the cylinder head. I think they're more reliable and less prone to blowing as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YUP, 200 apeice, and im having some of the squish bands done differently, some for trail some for drag racing, Im also sending two of my cylinders off to get fixed. Got the engine all tore down last night ill post some pics in a bit. the oof pipe is a trinity pipe but my aaen produces more midrange and top end. the bike was 800. wanted to give less but its all there and it came with a bunch of extras, stock reed cages, intake boots, fmf reed cages, ton of reeds, headlight assy, extra clutch and stator cover, complete clutch setup, basket and all. tons of brandnew clutch plates and discs. thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 200 a head also includes reshaping the domes and correcting the squish band to most efficient operating(and application) whether it be drag racing, trail riding, stump pulling, hill climbing, circle track, ect. Suzukis band is set rather steep, Im going to try a few out and see how it goes. HPR has done their homework on these machines and others, i asked question after question over the phone and was met with very intellegent and researched answers, from years of machining, and applying the work in the real world.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh dezsled, I have 3 complete engines and probably enough parts to build acouple more, figured if I pop one and scatter the head, id like to have some in reserve.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice to have the spares just for any occasion

I'd like to have another HPR motor, maybe like the one with the kx500 rod & piston spacer plate like the fishermans

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if I can swing the dough to have a complete build by hpr, would love to though. Can I get more info on the kx500 rod and piston(fishermans) Whats the cost of a complete rebulid down in AZ?
Oh I forgot to mention the 200$ is not just the oring cut and dome reshape and angle fixed, its also to weld in the water jackets where they are needed as the oem headgaskets provide the reduction in hole size so the coolant travels properly through the cylinder. heres some pics. 6oringheadbot.jpg 6headcompare.jpg 6headcompare.jpg 6heads.jpg 6headbot.jpg 6cylinder2.jpg 6cylsleeve2.jpg 6cylneedsfix2.jpg 6unfixedcyl.jpg 6cylsleeve.jpg 6cylsleeve2.jpg 6cyl#2.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The last couple of pics of the cylinders, One that I picked up from Dmoney awhile ago that needs sleeve job, (broken tab on bottom) The other cylinder came off the bike I just picked up, I have never seen a sleeve job like that, looks like a half assed job if you ask me! contemplating having it resleeved as well. the guy I picked this thing up from was a total bonehead. No thrust washers, had to press the wrist pin out(was stuck in there) looked like he put some kind of sealer on the head gasket (WOW) also the case halves are put together with Hi-temp RTV silicone, (can see the red squished out) definately gonna split the cases and check out the bottom end. I think the guy even tried to pour head gasket sealer in a can into the radiator or the top of the head, it was a disaster when I took it apart, wasn't only coolant it looked just like that head gasket in a can shit, LOL. should have taken more pics of it but I was just in a hurry to clean that bitch out. At least everything was intact, the bike is in awesome shape, all the parts are there, it needs one ball joint, im gonna do em all anyway. Down side...too bad somebody thought FORD BLUE was close enough to suzuki blue. Whatever he sprayed the cylinder with, airplaine paint remover wouldn't even touch it, not even a smear, twice applied. gonna have to bead blast.

Any input on the cylinders would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
It sounds like the cylinder was powder coated. It would be good if you wanting to remove the paint call your powder coater & ask them how to strip it.

As far as cylinders liners go, there are 2 manufacturers of production replacements: Los Angeles Sleeve, www.lasleeve.com & NW Sleeve, www.nwsleeve.com . I’d expect that any other Tuner / Builder types would have their liners produced by the 2 listed. If you know of any others please let us know?

Custom installations: www.smallenginemachineworks.com, Superior Sleeve www.superiorsleeve.com. The 2 of us have been doing this custom work for many years. Charlie Brown, owner of Superior Sleeve, was my lead man for around 10 years back in the old days.

There are others in the sleeve business that probably use liners from LA & NW. You said that one of your cylinders was a Hack Job. This was done by one of those others who are out there.

If you’re in need of this kind of work, please call your machinist & have a good conversation with them. You will quickly realize who knows & who thinks they know. "How it's Done" Take a read.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you john!

·
Registered
1 Posts
thx for posting the pics of the heads its good to see the mods that are done compared to stock. Squish wider, similar to cr500 head, o-ring placement, and welding done to restrict coolant flow. wide squish for low end right? assuming piston to head measurement is where it needs to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts