Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one? Know anything good or bad about a specific one? I know there are a ton of them out there: Pro Design, PWR, Trinity, etc....

Furthermore, does anyone know where one could be picked up cheaper than the usual $300 or $400 that retailers sell them for? I was bidding on a PWR one on ebay that went for $250 + 10 ship (my max stopped @ 245, go figure).

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
I don't think you are going to find one cheaper than $250. I am probably going to get the Toomey Radiator. Since I have the pipes already have to show some dealer loyalty

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, that's what I'd do if I were you too. I figure there's probably not too much difference between any of them anyway. Somebody made the first one and everybody copied off of them. That's about it.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
Yeah a radiator is a radiator the only thing you want to look for is the one that holds the most fluid. But also that has a good flow of air through it. If your fins are to close together then you are not going to be cooling much of anything

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was looking into some manufacturers claims of having the best fins/inch and crap like that.

Last weekend I sat in front of my banshee with a small pick and straightened out every fin on my stock radiator. Do you know how long that took me? I got laughed at but it looks sweet now and it will make a difference in cooling.

I'll probably be picking a new radiator up soon. I just wanted to see if anyone had any good or bad comments about any brands.

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the last post was a couple of months ago, but I finallyl ordered a PWR radiator for my banshee. Now that I have that temp gauge I've been seeing how hot it gets when trail riding and hillclimbing and I don't like it one bit. Hopefully this does some good and lowers the temps a bit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
yeah more fins per inch are better as long as theres adequate airflow through it. the guage is the best idea. you can see the before and after temps and see if its really a major benefit. get back to us with the temps cause i'd really like to know if thier worth it. also were do the temp guages fitting go in the head somewhere? cause i've got an auto meter liquid filled race guage from my car but they sell plenty of different adapters to use on my shee i'm hoping? whats a good coolant temp?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
let us know how it turns out (like I really need to say that haha) but thats something I've always been curious about but never felt like looking into. =)

·
Registered
295 Posts
yeah more fins per inch are better as long as theres adequate airflow through it. the guage is the best idea. you can see the before and after temps and see if its really a major benefit. get back to us with the temps cause i'd really like to know if thier worth it. also were do the temp guages fitting go in the head somewhere? cause i've got an auto meter liquid filled race guage from my car but they sell plenty of different adapters to use on my shee i'm hoping? whats a good coolant temp?

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's on its way so I'll have to let you know. My current temps are around 165F if I'm just flying around on straight, flat stuff. Once I get into some tight woods trails where I'm going slow or doing some hillclimbs it's between 200 and 220. I use Engine Ice for the coolant and have a Pro Designs high-flow impellar and inline cooler already. I'm just hoping to lower those 200+ temps a little. Hopefully the added coolant volume will also help out.

The temp guage is in the radiator hose coming out of the radiator to the motor. It's comparable to your car's temp guage that is on the line coming into the motor from the radiator.

My friend just tried to put an autometer temp guage on his banshee, but the fluctuation in voltage coming from the stator throught the voltage regulator makes it not work well at all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PA_Banshee said:
It's on its way so I'll have to let you know. My current temps are around 165F if I'm just flying around on straight, flat stuff. Once I get into some tight woods trails where I'm going slow or doing some hillclimbs it's between 200 and 220. I use Engine Ice for the coolant and have a Pro Designs high-flow impellar and inline cooler already. I'm just hoping to lower those 200+ temps a little. Hopefully the added coolant volume will also help out.

The temp guage is in the radiator hose coming out of the radiator to the motor. It's comparable to your car's temp guage that is on the line coming into the motor from the radiator.

My friend just tried to put an autometer temp guage on his banshee, but the fluctuation in voltage coming from the stator throught the voltage regulator makes it not work well at all.
yeah 200-220 seems a little high ill have to work on that, as for temp guage i should still be set mines mechanical not electric. but that will have to wait gotta go on a 2-3 month "vacation" tomorrow morning for DWI. #@&%$ing alcohol. Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a toomey on my shee i just did a complet rebuild on it a few months ago and i have ran the hell out of it (all day rides) and i have had no heating problems at all with the stock radiator it would heat up and i am running a stock head (no loot for a cool head yet) but i dont see the need for one if im not haveing heating problems other than it looks cool as hell im not looking for more hp its blazeing fast now

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I was out for about 6 hours yesterday with it. It's definately cooler (although it was alot cooler around here yesterday than it's been), but it still gets really hot compared to my 2 friend's banshees. I will have to take the head off over the winter and see what I can see. I'll probably buy a cool head just to get it the lowest I can after seeing what the head is shaved down to, if at all. That's the last of the things I can do to make it run cooler though.

But on a positive note for the radiator, it did run 20 - 30 degrees cooler when I was just mid-ranging it down straightaways in 6th gear. Again, it was cooler out so that's not scientific evidence, but it's good enough for me!

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, I was also using engine ice with the old radiator. The jug of it that I had left was 100 miles away when I was putting the radiator on so I just bought some coolanol and used a few ounces of water wetter with it. So the comparison really isn't all that exact considering all the variances between temperature and coolants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts