Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a picture of an 87-92 LT250 clutch side of the engine after the clutch basket is removed!
Use the notes in the picture as a reference when disassembling and reassembling the counter shaft gear and crankshaft gears..also some other easily overlooked things when it comes to re-installing the shifter shaft and shift drum as well as the kicker spring!

Joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for pointing everything out. Im gonna post more pics for you once I get my flywheel puller and case splitter.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would recommend paying attention the the dot on the crank. They are not keyed together they have big splines that you can see in the pics. If you dont line up all 3 it will vibrate really bad. Weisco cranks dont have the dot but you can reference off an oem crank.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well the mark in the crank won't matter much being that the crank and the gear are keyed together.
Keyed together as in a keyway and a key. What part number is this key? Have a picture to support your fact?

Why would the Suzuki engineers have a timing mark dot manufactured on the crank if it was not necessary? Why would a repair manual reference it, if it was not necessary.

Do a search about people who asked how to time a Hot Rods or Wiseco crank that has no mark.

There's 3 dots and they all have to line up.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keyed together as in a keyway and a key. What part number is this key? Have a picture to support your fact?

Why would the Suzuki engineers have a timing mark dot manufactured on the crank if it was not necessary? Why would a repair manual reference it, if it was not necessary.

Do a search about people who asked how to time a Hot Rods or Wiseco crank that has no mark.

There's 3 dots and they all have to line up.
My Bad...I was thinking about the 85-86 crankshaft, which is Keyed not splined.
On the 87-92 crank, you hafta match the dot on the crank with the dot on the crank gear, then match the dot on the crank gear with the dot on the countershaft gear.
For the added insurance, once the 2 dots (crank and counter balance) are matched up and the crank nut is removed, take a marker or paint stick or white-out and mark the countershaft to the crank gear and mark the crank gear to the crankshaft.
Being the Aftermarket crankshafts supposedly do not have markings.
That way, when assembling...everything is timed correctly.
Make sure, if using a marker or paint stick..etc..., not to get cleaners or solvents on the markings or it'll remove the reference marks and you'll have nothing to match the timing.

OH.....BTW....Last That I checked, this post like many others on this Website are for Information. I believe that's why they were created.
Unfortunately, in a few rare cases... a mistake, referring to a particular year makes a difference.
My point is, sometimes a person may misunderstand what is being described due to the wrong year or model.
Being corrected is not a problem and is understandable also non-offensive but when a person turns it into a PISSING CONTEST !
Don't Bother Posting your Arrogance !

·
Registered
461 Posts
No ones pissing... we were just correcting the post so the uninformed person reading it doesnt use false information. Maybe you should get the facts straight before you post??

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
if you have something usefull to ad to this thread, then fine do so.

if there is misinformation in what is posted then please explain what that is, and why.

otherwise, do not turn this thread into anything else other than usefull knowledge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok im a little confused now. I had no idea about the 3rd dot on the crank. I understand the 2 dots on the gears, but I just removed both gears. Where is the dot on the crank? And am I screwed?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
the dot on OEM crank can be hard to see and easy to over look. Look good on the crank when installing the primary gear. Sorry can't tell you exactly where. I had the primary gear off by one spline and had to take everything apart again because it was like an angry hornet's nest when it started.

just did not want this to happen to anyone because of the original post.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice Picture !
If you're not sure, it helps to make you own marks with a sharpie marker before you disassemble. That way, if a mark is not there, you have a reference to go by.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old post. I am taking apart an 88 lt and did not see the dot on the shaft (now that i know where to look for it I will check again). What I did notice though, is that the two dots on the gears should meet when the piston is at TDC. I wanted someone to validate this before I rely on it as a good measure...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts