Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those who haven't followed the whole saga, season before last my sons LT80 quit on me i rebuilt the top end(fresh bore, new Wiesco piston), went for a ride... it quit again rings sealed solid to the new piston... i got another new piston put it back together and something, (well i haven’t tore it down yet) but two days of riding and it just quits:RussRoulette:

There are no mods other than i removed the oil injector and run straight 32:1 Maxima Castor 927 mix.

One person I talked to said the Castor could be my problem, because I used some generic 2 stroke oil to prelube the piston last time. But this time I didn't let a drop of foreign oil in there. they also said 32:1 could be too rich and the oil would clog the tiny jets making it run lean so I changed to 40:1.

I'm a little frustrated because I thought these thing were supposed to be bullet proof.

I'm about to get rid of it and go 4-stroke but my son LOVES his 2-stroke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
John - I know you told me to check my skirt clearance, I sort of did but I’m ashamed to admit I was in a bit of a hurry and probably did not do a good enough job.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
To all of you; Always check the ring end gap of your new Wiesco piston sets. As we all know, Wiesco products are Top of the Line EXCEPT Wiesco has shipped to me the incorrect ring set more than once.
Stay awake & never assume that your parts are correctly packaged.

:Dope::Dope::Dope:

:thumbsup::NodYes:

·
Registered
695 Posts
To all of you; Always check the ring end gap of your new Wiesco piston sets. As we all know, Wiesco products are Top of the Line EXCEPT Wiesco has shipped to me the incorrect ring set more than once.
Stay awake & never assume that your parts are correctly packaged.

:Dope::Dope::Dope:

you're exactly right!! i had this happen to me last fall while rebuilding the top end on a 2007 foreman 500....... the first and last time i take anything for "granted".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John is always right!! i did fail to check my ring gap properly both times.
Here's a dumb question, if the gap is too big how do you fill it?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
You Guy’s have caught me with my “Pants Down” more than once. If the ring gap is too great your rings are for a larger bore.

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
If the gap is too great there could be wear in the cylinder or the rings are for a SMALLER bore not a larger bore, a larger bore would only open the gap up more. my sons aeon 110 had a ring end gap of .013 if I remember correctly. that seems to be the magic number for the weisco rings. i always check ring end gap at the top, bottom and middle of the cylinder. You cannot "fill in" a ring end gap that is too large. sorry!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Old thread but for future reference:::::
FYI: Wiseco's suck in LT80's. Fine for a 250R etc but just not for LT80's.
I exclusevly use Suzuki pistons with no problems (.5 and 1mm over). 1.5 over is a Pro-X and if you want 52mm you're stuck with a Wiseco.
I prefer a good synthetic (Torco GP-7) @ 32:1. No reason to run 927 when there are better oils these days. Old school IMO.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
What is the problem that you’ve got with LT80 Wiesco’s? Sometimes Wiesco’s packaging folks put the wrong ring set in the box; What’s happened to you? I’m politely recommending that Wiesco includes the piston pin height in their catalog so cross referencing is much easier.
Realizing that Wiesco is now such a large company, communications is sometimes difficult. Otherwise Wiesco is top of the line.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello Sir, I do agree that Wiseco's are fine in 99% of the applications. I run one in my 250R.
With the LT80 pistons, Wiseco's need extra clearance and a meticulous break-in. They seem to clang and bang making customers wonder what that noise is. When we raced and I had a 52mm piston (only wiseco makes a 52mm), we'd install it, run it a few minutes and it's squeak. Take it apart and sand the piston and cylinder wall. This would be done twice. Son of a B would run good then. I'm positive that you're thinking "that's stupid"..lol but it's what needed done.
The stock Suzuki piston has been trouble free over the years. Stick it in and run it. Little to no break-in time. Even on my high rpm motors, no problems.
Altho a good recommendation (check the ring gap) I quit doing that on the Suzuki pistons cuz I've never ever had a issue.
So with the fact that the pistons are virtually the same price, I'm going with the one that has proven to be trouble free. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
Hello Sir, I do agree that Wiseco's are fine in 99% of the applications. I run one in my 250R.
With the LT80 pistons, Wiseco's need extra clearance and a meticulous break-in. They seem to clang and bang making customers wonder what that noise is. When we raced and I had a 52mm piston (only wiseco makes a 52mm), we'd install it, run it a few minutes and it's squeak. Take it apart and sand the piston and cylinder wall. This would be done twice. Son of a B would run good then. I'm positive that you're thinking "that's stupid"..lol but it's what needed done.
The stock Suzuki piston has been trouble free over the years. Stick it in and run it. Little to no break-in time. Even on my high rpm motors, no problems.
Altho a good recommendation (check the ring gap) I quit doing that on the Suzuki pistons cuz I've never ever had a issue.
So with the fact that the pistons are virtually the same price, I'm going with the one that has proven to be trouble free. :)
You're mentioning two different problems here. The clanging and banging would be too much piston the cylinder clearance and the squeaking could be a couple of different things.

Sanding a piston or cylinder is comical.

I put a wiseco in my daughter's lt80 and it hasn't made a peep at all. Guess I got the rare good one.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
You Guy’s have caught me with my “Pants Down” more than once. If the ring gap is too great your rings are for a larger bore.

I don't mean to offend but, I think that you mean the opposite. larger ring gap would be a smaller bore that it should fit.

Sorry John, Didn't read down the post as to where you corrected...Sorry brutha !

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Mighty3 & wolfan are experienced mechanics & tuners; I’m hoping that all of you readers take their advice. As for clanking & other problems; I’ll bet that your bore isn’t round & straight. Who ever does your cylinder work needs some more practice. I’ve posted this advice so many times that many readers are getting tired of my comments.

1. Proper measuring tools

2. Cylinder boring machine

Whenever possible, bore the cylinder upside down from the bottom

3. Proper Hone; 3 point with stones longer than the cylinder. Used mandrels cost around $300-$400 each.

Egg beaters are used in the kitchen. Many of the experienced E2S members have gotten by nicely with Lyle & Amco hones, I Say again, experienced mechanics.
We have been using Sunnen Con Rod hones for small engine cylinders many years now. Since Small engine is focused only on top end cylinder work we purchase more high end equipment than many other repair shops.

:Cheers:

www.smallenginemachineworks.com
503-593-2908

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok,sorry about my terminology... you're correct the clanging is the exsessive clearance demanded by the LT80 Wiseco piston. I set the Wiseco at .0035-.004 A Zuki piston at .0025
Squeaking ie:: Stuck piston. This is when the aluminum bubbles under the ring gaps on a Wiseco LT80 piston and stops the motor from turning.
"Rare good one" On a stock cylinder with a meticulous break in, no problemo. I rarely deal with stock cylinders.
"Mighty3 & wolfan are experienced mechanics & tuners" And I surely give them all the respect they deserve.
The guy that bores for me uses a boremaster boring bar and a sunnen hone. Round as round can be. I have a lysle hone and the bore dial indicator.
That sunnen you show is a great machine!
FYI:I been doing LT80's for 20 years now. I have motors all around the world. With Suzuki pistons..LOL :D :D

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
I bore many cylinders & don’t recall any Wiesco pistons with this much clearance. If this is really correct you should question Wiesco with an email rather than trashing them on the net. I no longer represent Wiesco so I won’t follow this up with them. I can say that any of Wiesco’s sizing problems were worked out many years ago. Wiesco is a first class company & isn’t in the business of selling problems for its customers. Talk to them & when there is a problem they will work it out with you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you for your reply Sir.
After countless hours of wrenching/racing/living LT80's I go into forums to help ppl so they don't make the mistakes that I had to live thru/pay for.
Advising against the use of Wiseco's (in LT80's) is just part of that. What some call trashing is what I call good advise going by my expieriences over the last 20 years.
I could call and talk but why? I feel that there is no advantage to go to a forged piston in a LT80.

I dropped my bore dial indicator last night and broke the spring in the gauge....:( piss me off...LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts