Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 1995 yamaha banshee that im redueing to make it race ready. i was wanting to know were do you put a grease fitting in the stock swing arm and also the stock bearing carrer?? i have everything taken apart right now and want to put the fittings in so the grease and bearings will last longer than 3months at a time. any one try it befor? and if so how did you do it and got any pics of the project? thanks.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
welcome!!!

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
if youre gonna put a zerk fitting in the carrier, anywhere in the middle will do. id put it on top where a rock or stick wont break it off and you can get to it easily. idk about the pivot bearings. ive had mine for about 4 years now and ive never changed the pivot or carrier bearings (knock on wood).

what kind of bearings are you using? sealed? open? name brand?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just ordered the moose racing rear wheel bearings and seals for the bearing carrer. heres the link for them http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/MOOSE-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-REAR/?id=116907

also i ordered the moose racing swing arm kit with all the bearings, seals and all that for my swing arm. here is the link for this kit http://www.team-motorsports.com/esh...ring+AND+kits.MOOSE_RACING174_SWINGARM_LI.htm

i've used these moose racing bearings kits on my old blaster i use to have and they are very good and reliable.

also i heard when i drill then tap out the hole for the grease fitting i should also drill in the same spot a 1/4inch hole in that big spacer thats inside the bearing carrer which the spacer slides over the axle then the spacer rides on the bearings. is that the right thing to do?

also im going to post more pics of my banshee project soon.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
those carrier bearings are sealed. i wouldnt bother installing a grease fitting for them but if you do you'll have to take the seals out of the bearings or the grease will never get inside.

as far as drilling a hole in the spacer... that spacer locks the inner races of the bearings (keeps them from moving side to side). theres no reason to want grease to get between the spacer and axle. just drill and tap a hole for the fitting and pump a ton of grease in her and she'll be good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
alright thanks. just bought this banshee a cupple months ago road it twice and now iam taking almost all of it apart and redueing it. with ina cupple of months when all the snow melts here i should have it ready to race. i got a few race areas/tracks that i race at.

also im about to order a new chain and sprockets. the old ones i had on there were 41t rear and 15t front sprockets witha stock chain. and my banshee hit 105mph in mid 5th gear. but im not going to do much drags anymore just mainly all track and some trail. so i was thing about going to a 13t in the front and 40t in the rear for sprockets. and ima run a o-ring chain. i have to run a 40t in the rear because of some mods im doing there but what do you think would be the best tooth size sprocket to use in the front and 0-ring or x-ring chain?? the kit lets me choose 12,13,14, or 15 tooth sprockets for the front. im going to be useing the shee to race on the dirt tracks here and also just on the trail which i need it to hit around 90-100mph in 6th gear. not looking for peer speed. but more tords the acceleration for the track but some speed for the trail. im running 20*11-9 holeshot tires in the rear. any suggestions before i go and order them?? also the motor is all redone. cool head proformance noss head with 20cc doms.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well thats what the guy i bought it from said. so im not to sure?.? need to find out for myself soon. i only took it for a little ride before i bought it and broung it home and tore it all appart. and now im rebuilding it again.
what you thing about the sprocket gearing i was thinking of doing?

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
if your gonna install a grease fitting on the swinger at the pivot bolt, you will need to take the inner sleeve and drill some small holes in it or the grease will never make it in there. it will get grease to the bearings which is important, but the inner sleave can seize up on the pivot bolt and when you got to remove your swinger, you could have one hell of a time. sometimes coating it with some anti seize, or lithium grease before installing will do the trick as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts