Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What shocks will fit the back of my 91 lt i heard the z400 will fit with some "grinding" grinding my swingarm makes me nervous how much "grinding" is needed and is there any other options out there for me to work with

·
Registered
212 Posts
z400 shock on 91 LT250R

The shock fits so perfect you would think it was made for an LT save for the lower shock mount which is too narrow to fit onto the linkage. It was a little thick, so I used a grinder to grind from the inside out on the shock's bottom eye holes. I shaved off maybe an eighth of an inch on each side (if that much) and it went peacefully onto the linkage. It's not Elka or Works or anything, but what a huge improvement over the old stocker. I recommend it to anyone who wants to upgrade but is working with a limited budget like I am.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im not lookin for elka my stock shock is toast and i dont see dumping 3 grand on suspension for a bike that cost me 1.... thanks man great help

·
cocky knowitall bastard
2,717 Posts
You could also buy a Marvin Shaw coil over, if you dont jump a lot its a great shock. Mine works much better than the stock one ever thought about and it was only 400, plus it looks damn good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya im prob just gonna do this z400 since i can pick one up on ebay for like 50 bucks and call it a day anything is better than what i have on there bad bearing weak spring and no oil lol

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
it will only work on 91-92 lt's..it is a big improvement.i also reccomend it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
just want to add, alot of grinding!! i had to butcher a elka dual rate elite shock lower mount to get it on the linkage. ahhh, i still hate thinking about it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thanks guys pass on the allot of grinding lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z400 shocks fit on the front as well?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Z400 shocks are substantially longer than LT shocks..which means it will raise the ride height and possibly make you a little "Raptor-ish"....tipsy or something...surely when you sit on the bike it'll sag back down close to normal ride height, but it could well put some unnecessary stress on ball joints and what not....stock shocks are 15 inches...I think z400 shocks are 16 inches, maybe slightly taller...but I have +2 a-arms which i think due to the added leverage causes more sag in the shocks...so I'm considering going to a 15 1/2 to 15 3/4 inch shock...maybe even a 16"...I haven't decided yet...but the answer is yes, they will fit...but from what I have heard, you might be better off going with 400EX shocks, they're not quite as tall and pretty similar to the z400 shocks in performance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok heres another for ya guys ive had poor luck bidding on z400 rear shocks is there anything else that will bolt up with slight mods or should i keep lookin for a z

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
PaintballerM98RT said:
ok heres another for ya guys ive had poor luck bidding on z400 rear shocks is there anything else that will bolt up with slight mods or should i keep lookin for a z
thats the only one i know of.just be patient,you'll get one.also,if you didnt know.the kawasaki kfx400 and arctic dvx400 are the same as the z400.they will fit too.good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks ya suzuki sold their clones out to everyone and their mother lol personally i like the styling off the arctic cat plastic better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts