Everything2Stroke Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quad's looking good man, glad to see you getting it where you want it. That's a helluva drive to do in a day, I'd have had to hit a hotel, lol.

Found exactly one of my problems. I had been sucking my stock bowl Lectron HV44 dry at extended WO runs. When Jerry was running it on the dyno, I could see the fuel level in the bowl go pretty low and the bike would start to sputter on the rollers.
This can't be right, these guys said a zilla can't suck the bowl dry, only a built banshee can do that. You must not have been running race gas, it's simple math, lol. http://forums.everything2stroke.com/showthread.php?t=40939&highlight=billet+bowl

·
Registered
497 Posts
you are not going to suck the bowl dry on a stock zilla carb (mikuni). NOT going to happen! Wont go dry on a VM44 either unless you have the wrong size needle and seat in there.. Not going to happen, not on regular fuel..
If you are going to suck the bowl dry on the modified stock mikuni carb, then he FOR SURELY would have sucked it dry during the dyno runs (right after he did on the Lectron). That dyno he was on throws on hell of a load on the motor and will use a ton of fuel while doing so

The older mikuni VM-44's will suck it dry if it is an older carb.. the older VM44's need the fuel inlet from the brass fitting (fuel intake) to the needle and seat area "opened" up. The olders ones arent cast the right way and really restrict the fuel coming into the needle and seat area

A Lectron, is out of my league, i dont run them

But good try, Next time use some of that simple math you are talking about

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
you are not going to suck the bowl dry on a stock zilla carb (mikuni). NOT going to happen! Wont go dry on a VM44 either unless you have the wrong size needle and seat in there.. Not going to happen, not on regular fuel..
If you are going to suck the bowl dry on the modified stock mikuni carb, then he FOR SURELY would have sucked it dry during the dyno runs (right after he did on the Lectron). That dyno he was on throws on hell of a load on the motor and will use a ton of fuel while doing so

The older mikuni VM-44's will suck it dry if it is an older carb.. the older VM44's need the fuel inlet from the brass fitting (fuel intake) to the needle and seat area "opened" up. The olders ones arent cast the right way and really restrict the fuel coming into the needle and seat area

A Lectron, is out of my league, i dont run them

But good try, Next time use some of that simple math you are talking about

I think you read the post wrong. He was saying that if the valve on the Pingle Fuel Valve vibrates 1/2 closed it could drain the bowl at full throttle because the bowl is not being filled because the petcock is closing off.

EDIT: Well I guess I was reading wrong lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Hey guys, I can only comment on my setup. My stock carb, stock porting, with the Q pipe didn't have any issues with fuel starvation.

Running the Lectron 44 with the Q pipe and HRD porting, I started having issues in Glamis running the large bowls and extended flat runs. It would cut out after running for a while. I stopped and looked the bike over, but found nothing and it ran fine again. I fought this for months last year. Still had it my last outing in April this year.

I'm glad I got a chance to watch it on the dyno. I know for sure that was my issue (sucking the bowl dry) for my Lectron. These are good carbs for drag racing since you can externally adjust the main with a twist of a screw. We pulled off the Lectron and added a taper bored TM38 Mikuni + an inline fuel filter and the stuttering/starvation issue disappeared.

Dyno tests were done with VP110/Caster mixed at 20:1.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Glad to hear your problems went away Rogue!

I have seen the test on the same dyno countless times with this custom fuel drain screw with a tube in it that allows you to monitor the fuel level in the fuel bowl the whole time (mikuni). it never gets close to getting drained on real long pulls with a HUGE load on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks jkylnhyde! I'm glad too. Now I just need to take her out and ride her to make sure she runs the way I want her too!

Glamis summer run or around Lake Arrowhead.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Well here are few more pics of my latest changes.

Cut the plastic more to clear the kicker. Also re-installed the stock pegs to get a full kick in when starting the quad.

Yep have a HPR#19 and a Mikuni TM38 on there now too:

Two bolt mount silencer and a Custom Axis rear shock.

Also back to stock gearing 13/42. I've had a hell of a time trying to contact Krause Racing to get my broken chain and sprocket replaced. Going on 3 months now. Not very happy with them. I'm going to be posting an ugly complaint post everywhere on the internet soon enough with documentation of my issue!

Later,
Larry

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Custom axis shocks and a HPR pipe you went all out with this project. Looks really really nice how does it ride?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Thanks guys. Well it rides nice around the block :) I have not been out to the sand after the new carb, pipe, and rear shock. Looking at going out in about a month for a overnight trip.

Hoping for a good ride! Just have to watch the fuel consumption. 640 main will drink some fuel!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice machine, I have always dreamed of having a awesome zilla like that one. I had a similar problem with draining my float on my 250 after FTZ built the motor, but it was solved by removing my inline filter. I sure liked having a filter in there but the bike just sucks too much fuel. This is after upgrading to a zilla pedcock to accommodate the larger hose to my larger carb.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Thanks for the comments guys. Just finished the second long trip to Glamis. Thanksgiving 8 days in the dunes and New Years 6 days.

I love this Zilla in the dunes. To me it is the perfect dune machine.

On the Thanksgiving trip, my Zilla prior owner took her for a ride and fell in love. He could not believe how well she handled, good power response, 3rd gear lugging, but 'too much' power when it hits the pipe for duning for him.

He loved it so much that he went out and bought another Zilla. He is in the process of rebuilding it now. He is going to almost clone my build he loves it so much with the Custom Axis shocks.

This last week we went over to China Wall and I was running the hill a little. Had to go down a main jet and that allowed me to pull 4th.

Here are a couple short video's of running China Wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRyagEwN6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6oK1HMRy0

I'm still trying to find the other video where I was racing a couple of Banshee's up the hill.

First run I had the slower shee by 5 lengths and the faster one by 2. This was only in 3rd. When I hit 4th, I had the faster shee by about 5 lengths. We raced about 5 times and I lost once because I screwed up my shifts. That was a ton of fun and the guy on the faster shee was hooting and hollering as he had a lot of fun. He took off before we could talk about what he had done to his quad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome Build Rogue. Documenting it just as nice as your bike! First saw you on HQ. Sweet! How's gas on those long trial rides? Or you limit the run?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Thanks.

It has been a while since I've updated this post.

I have not had an issue with Gas yet. I carry about 8 oz of 2-stoke oil in my tool kit, so I can get what ever gas I can find (or siphon out of another quad) enought to get me home if/when I run out of fuel.

I'm not on the main too much, so my quad is not too thirsty. With the mid RPM level power out of the 500 I can put around in 3rd about all the time when running in the dunes.

Since January, I've added a lightened flywheel (don't know about its performance yet), and played with the jetting a little. I'm running Custom Axis shocks front and rear, but still needs lots of adjustment for racing the hills. Installed a Jettrim seat cover and I love it. Swapped out the HID light to a Baja Designs Squadron LED light and it works flawlessly. Thinking I would like to have 2 just for more light :D Also did the camber mod and it has helped the stability quite a bit.

Guess I'm due for some updated pictures, but that will have to wait for a few weeks.

I just got back from a 4 day Buttercup trip with the family and my quad ran flawlessly. I need to adjust my air screw and needle as the low/mid range should be crisper, but all in all it still fun to ride.

Next trip out to the dunes will be probably in 3-4 weeks for an overnight outing since it is getting hot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a great idea keeping the oil on board. I'm still trying to find a fuel mixture that's right for my bike. I keep fouling up the power valve running with castor. I actually bought an oil syringe to be precise, haha. I'm sort-of surprised you didn't get a +4 swing arm..... yet? And I'm kind of eying those new Vforce4 reeds due to be release next month!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I like the quad being a wheelie machine so I kept it stock. I'm working on the bump steer issue now. Going riding up in the high desert this weekend with stock suspension as I working on the custom axis shocks too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
We'll its been a few years since I posted to this thread. I've made some more changes to the Zilla, but don't have pictures yet.

Here is an older picture where you can see the small Baja Designs Squadron LED light that I'm now running. Lots of light from this little light.

I took my Zilla for a ride at Pismo in July this year and came back with a bunch of rust in different places :( My OEM sprockets had curved teeth and the chain was missing some o-rings on some links, so those were all replaced. Had to replace the bearings in the rear carrier as some of my bolts were loose.

Decided to ceramic coat the pipe, so it doesn't take so much TLC all the time since it was RAW. I know that Jerry said it will change the tuned nature of it a bit, but I'm not looking to be the fastest quad around.

I had a bad year in 2013, where I was on short term disability for 4 months due to nerves in my upper back being pinched. I have stenosis around the C5/C6 vertebrae. So, after returning back to work, I picked up a SxS and have been driving that and spending too much money on accessories. "With age, comes the cage". Figure this is only a short term fix until I can upgrade into a 4 passenger sand rail.

I thought about selling the Zilla, but I just have too much time and money invested in it. I only would think of selling it for an impossible offer of $8k-$10k. Well, I have it almost back together and plan to take it out to Glamis for New Years. Won't be pounding Olds or the whoops, but should still be fun on casual dune rides. I miss the power!

141 - 160 of 174 Posts