Everything2Stroke Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
Amsoil Dominator is synthetic and is designed to run at 50:1... it is red in color not green. Maybe this is newer stuff? I ran the Castor 927 like the previous owner did at 32:1 and it ended up clogging the power valve 100%. No more Castor for this engine.

My builder runs the Dominator at 50:1 and has been for years and years on his Zilla engines and they don't wear.

I did a plug chop before heading out to the dunes and it was rich. I'll leave it for now until the temp changes from 'hell' to something cooler :)
there must have been a jetting or burn rate issue if it clogged your rotary valve up ,castor has a higher film strength and lower flash point ,the right oil actually does make a worthwhile difference ,in my experiences ive torn too many amsoil motors apart to consider it a good premix oil and the best builders in the country dont often recommend from what ive read heard and seen .but hey thats entirely your choice and your engine ,just making a suggestion

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I have to admit, the plugs were very dark (rich) when I got the machine from the prior owner.

Hmm, regarding wear... I'll run this season on the Dominator, and check the wear at the end of the season. Then I'll know for sure for my engine and the way I ride in my environment.

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
I have to admit, the plugs were very dark (rich) when I got the machine from the prior owner.

Hmm, regarding wear... I'll run this season on the Dominator, and check the wear at the end of the season. Then I'll know for sure for my engine and the way I ride in my environment.
oil does much more than help the bore round it keeps your bearings from expanding and wearing too ,also keeps the heat down .less oil means less lubrication and the zilla bearings are undersized to begin with for the size and rotational mass .dark plugs can mean an incomplete burn pattern ,for my motors i want the most power and protection i can get.never seen motor internals damaged by running too much oil ..only the opposite

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Also I have a temp gauge on my quad (upper hose) and it never got over 180 even when we were riding hard and fast in the dunes. It never crept above 180 when we were idling slowly too.

So the engine is running pretty cool even with temps near 100 degrees out there.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on everything for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rich jetting will keep the motor pretty cool too.
Side note/Question. Dont oil ratios affect the jetting too? lean ratio will cause the engine to act rich, or something along the lines of that?

·
I just wanna ride!!
5,668 Posts
I love the way she turned out! One of my favorite zilla builds by far :thumbsup: :Drool:
X2 on that ^^^^^^^ that thing is sick!!

Amsoil Dominator is synthetic and is designed to run at 50:1... it is red in color not green. Maybe this is newer stuff? I ran the Castor 927 like the previous owner did at 32:1 and it ended up clogging the power valve 100%. No more Castor for this engine.

My builder runs the Dominator at 50:1 and has been for years and years on his Zilla engines and they don't wear.

I did a plug chop before heading out to the dunes and it was rich. I'll leave it for now until the temp changes from 'hell' to something cooler :)
Bro I run Amsoil @ 40:1 with no problems. Amsoil is some of the best oil out there IMO. Ever since I started using it, I've never looked back. You can jet your quad according to your mix.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Sorry guys, I should not of brought up jetting :D I know that it is a touchy subject with all. Time will tell on how my motor runs and how long it lasts. I'm just glad she is back together and I put my first 10 or so hours on it in the sand.

Can't wait to get back out there and do some more riding. Once I get that front end wobble fixed, my dream bike will be complete.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well after about 50 hours of riding in November, my stator lighting coils took a dump. Charging system died. I've removed them tonight and they were cooked a bit to the point the plastic wire holder part was melted.

I've re-installed the stock lighting coils (old ones were RS 130 watt) and I'll run with only my LED headlights to keep the electrical demand down.

Also installing a Banshee Pintel petcock. The stock one would no longer shut off the fuel 100% after I drilled it out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
you named your bike?

Have a pet name for your cock also?

you gonna be out in Glamis for the New Years weekend? I would like to see it in person. Looks good
Why yes I do! :Laugh5:

Not sure yet. My group is either going to Glamis or Ocotillo Wells. I really don't like the hard dirt, but there is one guy that likes it and he has not been out for a few years so we'll see.

Thanks guys, I really like this build too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Alright, getting ready to head back out to Glamis on Sunday after Christmas! Hope those dunes are still there and not washed away like most of SoCal!

Well time for some more mods. After drilling out my modified stock petcock, it would not turn off the fuel 100%. Didn't like that, so off with the old

and on with the new

Of course the stock tank has to be modified to accept the Pingel petcock (single valve Banshee)

to get it mounted and facing the right direction on the zilla

Also cleaning up some of the cheaper looking mounts on the stock bike.... rear shock hose clamp

moved key switch

and put the old dirt tires back on to run it around the house

·
Registered
497 Posts
how long you staying in glamis? we are getting there thurs (30th) until Sunday.. There will be at least 6 500's in our group..

Would love to meet up and check that green bike out. We might have a 500 or 2 in our group that can turn some heads in the looks department also.

BTW, my old pingle use to vibrate itself to the half closed position.. Had to saftey wire it open. Keep your eye on it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
how long you staying in glamis? we are getting there thurs (30th) until Sunday.. There will be at least 6 500's in our group..

Would love to meet up and check that green bike out. We might have a 500 or 2 in our group that can turn some heads in the looks department also.

BTW, my old pingle use to vibrate itself to the half closed position.. Had to saftey wire it open. Keep your eye on it
Staying 8 days. Leaving on the 2nd. Not sure where we are camping, it depends on the size of our group going. Most likely around Wash 18 as we kind of like that wash.

I should know in the next few days where we will camp.

Hmm, I'll have to watch that Pingle. Don't need to be running the bike out of fuel at WO!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Well its been a while since I've posted in my thread. Here is the latest on my quad.

I've removed the Vision-X LED cubes as the HID just over powers these guys.

I just got back from Jerry Halls shop and having him tune my bike on the dyno for me. This was great. 700 miles round trip on Saturday, but worth it. Found exactly one of my problems. I had been sucking my stock bowl Lectron HV44 dry at extended WO runs. When Jerry was running it on the dyno, I could see the fuel level in the bowl go pretty low and the bike would start to sputter on the rollers.

Pulled a few times with my setup for a baseline. Next we replaced the carb with a modified Mikuni TM38. The stumble was now gone and the bike made a few good pulls. Jerry asked if I wanted to start tuning the bike with the Q pipe, but I was ready for the HPR19 to be bolted on.

So that was bolted on and wow, it is even bigger then the Q pipe. First pull had a nice fat torque curve. Sweet. We then played with the Power Valve. .25CC thru 1.75CC was tested. Looks like my bike's sweet spot is the stock setting of 1CC turn.

Just changed the oil tonight and drained my fuel to get it ready for our next outing.

Well enough for now. I'll post pictures later.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts