Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
89 Zilla Rebuild ... lots of pictures

Hey guys, well I had started a rebuild thread over on quadracerhq, but its been down for a while now. So, I'll put my rebuild log up here on this site.

I originally purchased this LT500 from a riding buddy because my KFX450 kept blowing engines. I ride Imperial Sand dunes just about 100% of the time. From Buttercup to Gordons to Glamis, so I want/need a dependable quad that doesn't end up back in camp on a strap!

Here are a few pictures of the quad the day I brought it home:

03/02/2010

It came with a 12t front sprocket, PT pipe, and a K&N filter+Outerwear installed. Time for some TLC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sweet zilla man, how do you like it compared to your 450? (aside from it blowing engines)

Is that a extra spark plug carrier mounted to the frame lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I wanted to upgrade the lighting because I do a lot of night riding. The stock zilla light SUCKS bad. So, coming of of the KFX, I knew I wanted HID. HID == Battery required. So, I was working with a member over on QRHQ and am now running an AC/DC setup. AC still runs the ignition and DC charges the battery and runs the lights.

Installing the Ricky Stator 130watt lighting coils. I actually had the Ricky Stator LT500 Stator, but the aftermarket stator is known for being cheap and not fitting correctly, so I moved the lighting coils.

Stock Stator on the Left, Ricky Stator on the Right

Alright, got the new lighting coils in - soldered, heat shrunk, and glued back into place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man I didnt even think of that, I havnt done any night riding with my zilla yet. But looks great man you know your stuff!

glad to see more zilla guys on here!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet zilla man, how do you like it compared to your 450? (aside from it blowing engines)

Is that a extra spark plug carrier mounted to the frame lol.
Hey Shags, thanks.

I LOVED the 450. The first time the rod blew I had it dynoed at 55HP. Pulled like a rapped ape! On rebuild, I went back to stock piston (to try and keep it together) and had the crank done by Falicon along with their knife edge rod to the tune of around ~$600 or so. Balanced, Trued, Welded, and polished..... lasted about 1 year exactly. Their rod broke and took out the engine again. GRRRRRR.

While it lasted, it was a ton of fun. I had LT suspension and lots of extras sunk into that machine. I hate to look at the amount of money that was in that quad. Well, I kept most of the good stuff and installed it on to my wife's quad. So she now has a pretty damn nice setup. That 450 just has the Big 3 installed and she is really easy on the bike, so it should last.

Yep, two of the guys I ride with use that extra plug carrier. Figure its a two stroke and running rich will foul plugs, so your ready after just a few minutes :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Stator re-installed, now lets see if we can switch over to DC lighting.

Got the battery zip tied in place for a mockup

Ricky Stator Rectifier/Regulator

Now have DC powered headlight

Installed the Kragen 4" HID

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a beefy case saver from SBLT.

Got a KTM battery holder

Started running some wires

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to watch those engine temps in the dunes, so I installed a Heatseeker.

You can see the gauge peeking out on the right side of the gas cap lid

Installed a couple .100 washers to help with the bump steer issue

Had a bent steering stem when I bought it, so installing a new used one

Installing some Blingstar P.E.G. pegs

Also some Rogue grips

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought a nice open intake built by another QRHQ member and installed it with a Amsoil 9" Dry Nanofilter

I ran out in the dunes with this Dry Nanofilter once and it sand into the intake/carb/engine. DO NOT USE THIS FILTER FOR RIDING IN THE SAND/DUNES!

Here is a picture of the back of the filter. This is just the sand that is stuck to the back.

:D Nice shinny Q Pipe!

Wow, this pipe is incredible. It woke up the bike from low rpms to overrev. I could feel the amazing power even though my PV (which I found out later) was 100% sealed up.... grrr 927.... grrr.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How much did you pay for the, drQ pipe and where can I get 1 from?

Man you have came along way with this thing, when I seen the first pic I told myself it was a little rough looking, now I see that last pic and it looks sick!! I wish we had dunes around here. I was gonna say that filter isnt good for sand areas but you know already lol, I made the same mistake on my banshee, (no dunes here but alot of sand trails)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quad is torn down now. Going to powder coat everything soon, so still collecting parts.

Renthal Twinwall 1 & 1/8" bars

A set of Vision X LED 10 watt cubes

Upgraded set of Axle Nutz

Some wider GForce 4 lug rear hubs

Uni 2 Layer Pod Filter 8"

Play cut STU Skate 1 21x12x10 / STU Razorback 22x8x10 on 10x7 rims

Also going back to the stock headlight, since the 4" just sits up too high and will break on the first crash/roll-over. Upgrading the H4 blub to HID.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much did you pay for the, drQ pipe and where can I get 1 from?

Man you have came along way with this thing, when I seen the first pic I told myself it was a little rough looking, now I see that last pic and it looks sick!! I wish we had dunes around here. I was gonna say that filter isnt good for sand areas but you know already lol, I made the same mistake on my banshee, (no dunes here but alot of sand trails)
I got luck as a member on QRHQ had it, but it was too loud for his riding area. It is a loud pipe for sure (not as loud as my DASA Shorty though!). When Q was selling his pipes new they went for $650 + shipping. Now that he is not making them at present, new ones were selling for $700+ up to $1000. I bought this one used (but it was in like new condition) for just over $500.

After shelling out that kind of money, would I do it again? YES, IN A HEARTBEAT. This pipe is very nice. Sure it is nice and shiny and looks like a million dollars, but the performance gain is unbelievable.

Now a few years later, there are a couple of other alternatives to the Q pipe and I've heard they are all good pipes. Hall makes a hand coned pipe that sells for about $1000. AAEM Performance makes a hand coned pipe that goes from $400 up to about $650 depending on silencer option.

Good luck finding another Q pipe. Very hard to come by for sure!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Should have ran an outerwear over that blue filter, I run a similar setup on all my bikes with k&n filters and outerwear, never had a problem and I mainly ride dunes.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What happened to that awesome "nano filter"???? Switched back to the UNI??? :Crazy:

I wouldnt run that nano filter if i was sponsored by Amsoil and was given them for free and all my motor repairs were free also.

Other than that, i give you a thumbs up on the right and left hand!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey Shags, thanks.

I LOVED the 450. The first time the rod blew I had it dynoed at 55HP. Pulled like a rapped ape! On rebuild, I went back to stock piston (to try and keep it together) and had the crank done by Falicon along with their knife edge rod to the tune of around ~$600 or so. Balanced, Trued, Welded, and polished..... lasted about 1 year exactly. Their rod broke and took out the engine again. GRRRRRR.

While it lasted, it was a ton of fun. I had LT suspension and lots of extras sunk into that machine. I hate to look at the amount of money that was in that quad. Well, I kept most of the good stuff and installed it on to my wife's quad. So she now has a pretty damn nice setup. That 450 just has the Big 3 installed and she is really easy on the bike, so it should last.

Yep, two of the guys I ride with use that extra plug carrier. Figure its a two stroke and running rich will foul plugs, so your ready after just a few minutes :D
Great thread. Your Zilla is looking good. Did you have to float the ground like on the banshee conversion? Do you have detailed info on the AC/DC conversion or is that privileged info? Do you have any pictures of the rod failure in your 450? I know that it is a four poke and all but I am just curious and would like to see it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Should have ran an outerwear over that blue filter, I run a similar setup on all my bikes with k&n filters and outerwear, never had a problem and I mainly ride dunes.
Ya, I used to run a K&N with outwear on my bike a few years ago. The K&N is at least a wet filter where the Amsoil is a dry filter. Even with the Outwear I don't trust it anymore! The Uni filters much better then the gauze types. I figure I'll run an outwear over the Uni to save it from getting to dirty to quick.

What happened to that awesome "nano filter"???? Switched back to the UNI??? :Crazy:

I wouldnt run that nano filter if i was sponsored by Amsoil and was given them for free and all my motor repairs were free also.

Other than that, i give you a thumbs up on the right and left hand!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ya, I had high hopes after reading up on that Nano filter. Sorry, but it just doesn't filter down to nano-sized particles!

Nice paddles for skidding around. For more traction try skat trac haulers or edges on Douglas rims
I tried some 7 paddle Haulers with the zilla along with a set of 6 paddle comp cut padla brats. The V paddles are more my speed. I run all my tires on Douglas rims. I now have 3 sets of SSII and one set of SSI. Going to install V paddles on all my families quads. I just like the way the v paddles slide better.

Great thread. Your Zilla is looking good. Did you have to float the ground like on the banshee conversion? Do you have detailed info on the AC/DC conversion or is that privileged info? Do you have any pictures of the rod failure in your 450? I know that it is a four poke and all but I am just curious and would like to see it.
Thanks. Nope, I read that article about floating the ground, but the zilla is wired differently and I could not diagram out how to float the ground properly.... so working with a QHQ member (he actually figured it out), I am running AC and DC. Just wire the lights direct to the DC circuit and stay off of the frame (as that is still running AC). No trade secrets with the AC/DC setup. I was going to let the QHQ member put it up first since he did all the leg work. He is putting more time on his setup to make sure it lasts and I am doing the same with mine. So far I get 13.5 volts DC at idle and near 15 volts DC about 5k RPM.

Hmm, yep, I do have pictures. Guess I'll put a couple up.

Here is my quad when it was running good

First rod that let go, you can see the tiny piece of the rod sticking out the front of the cases

Went back together with this nice looking Falicon setup

A year later, Falicon rod let go and here is some of the damage

I would still be ridding that quad if it held together. It only put out about 50HP, but it was setup perfect for my riding style.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That looks nasty, did the rod break in the same place both times? I expected to see some blueing or other tell tale signs on your rod, but couldn't really tell anything from the pics. I remember about 10 years or so ago when people were into modding and racing the 400ex they were having oiling problems to the big end bearing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty close to the same spot on both rods. No, it doesn't look like it got too hot from oiling issues. The first break, the factory rod, just broke about an inch from the small bearing. Completely a rod failure. The second break, I believe the bearing failed (again not from oiling issues) and broke into pieces.... so I'm not happy with FALICON!! I should of went with a Carrillo rod! Could of/Should of/Would of.... famous last words!

I ride a lot of wheelies and thought that it could be an oiling issue, but nothing jumped out to me or my mechanic friends about the rod/piston/cylinder showing signs of heat damage.

Oh well, now I have a 21 year old bike that can beat a lot of new bikes.... and it is pretty rare. Now I just need to get it dependable!

1 - 20 of 174 Posts