Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its got an ESR310 kit, stock carb, fmf fatty/silencer. I have the 38 AS carb for it but annoyingly broke the idle screw..Ive read the stock carb will work with the 310 with a slight loss of power which is fine for now..Now here is the problem, it'll start on the 3-4 kick but needs 1/2 throttle to stay on. Anything past half throttle raises the revs slightly but nowhere near top of the rev band (although it did rev that high on one occasion...) and it does smoke ALOT. Altitude is 3900', 185 main jet, needle is on the 3rd clip from the top, not sure about the pilot jet...where exactly is the pilot jet located? I did open up the carb and cleaned it thoroughly before installing it. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a picture of the black soot

A box behind the silencer

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Is this a new problem or did it start doing this when you installed the 310 kit? Have you checked the compression? Are the reed valves in good condition? Have you looked into the carb to verify the slide moves all the way when you give it throttle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a new problem. Reed valves are good I checked them before installing the carb and the slide if fully sliding. Haven't checked the compression...but my foot gauge says its good..an actual compression test is coming though...could these be symptoms of a stuck open choke??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Biggest sig on E2S lol. Nice bike btw

·
Registered
533 Posts
beatiful machine, 189 main jet is a bit large for your set up and altitude. I'm at the same altitude with a 310 and +4mm stroker running a pwk 39 carb and run a 180 main, 50 pilot, needle clip in 3rd and still a tad rich. Also be sure to set the floats accurately. if you already got it figured out post up your specs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I know it's been a while but I finally got around to messing with the R again. I adjusted the float on the stock carb and put a new DDJ needle that came with my 38a/s, clip is in the middle. Also put a 140 main jet and 50 pilot. It still won't start by just kicking, but will fire right up when pull started. Throttle response has returned to normal and I was able to run it through the gears. Runs strong. I parked it in my garage and shut it down. Waited 10 seconds then kicked it over and fired up. Shut it down then pulled the plug to see what it looked like, here it is.

I reinstalled the plug and kicked it over and no start once again. About 20 kicks. What's next?
This is the needle that I took out. Is it bad?

·
1986 Honda TRX 250r
2,613 Posts
You've got more than a jetting problem here. The choke wont give it that much extra fuel either. Leakdown test is where I would start. Check the timing also. You didn't accidentally put the piston in backwards or something did you? Didn't leave a rag in the intake or exhaust?
I would say a 180 main to start, needle on middle clip and a 52 pilot for starting jetting.

You gotta ask yourself, what could have happened, since it ran fine before putting on the 310 kit its not a bad idea to assume it has something to do with the componets you had apart.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The ddj needle you have ran before? I'm running a dgg 2nd groove from the bottom 185m 58p but I'm at sea level.

I'd call duncan racing as Loren will give you a jetting recommendation. I know a lot of people don't like Duncan, but Loren will help when you call

1 - 15 of 15 Posts