Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a problem that i just cant seem to figure out on my own and none of my ridin buddies seem to have an answer either. i have an 87 lt250r that is my pride and joy, bought it two years ago compleatly stock and slowly started making mods to it. anyway the last time i got to ride her i warmed it up like normal around my track, decided to run down the road to a buddies house to c if he wanted to ride, on the way there i was in 6th gear just cruising at bout qtr throttle and the motor started bogging down, almost like my back brake was dragging, i pulled in the clutch and instead of the wheeles freespinning they lockd up and i skidded to a stop. i put her back into nutral and pushed it to see if she was still dragging but she rolled fine. kicked her over and she fired first kick like always, decided to turn around and head home b4 sumthin happened again, this happened 3 more time on the way home, and every time it would just drag down n stall, id wat about a min, fire it up and continue, sorry for such a long post but this is really bothering me and i dont wanna just rip her apart not knowing wut it is, if any one has had this problem or knows what it might b plz help, thx and ride on!

·
Registered
222 Posts
check stator, and ground. check all wires coming from stator for cracks or breaks. pull the fuel petcock and clean the screen.
i have heard when the stator goes bad sometimes it will let bike run then when stator gets hot it will shut down bike.

there are a few things to check

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it is deffinatly not seized, rolls over fine, still has tons of compression, no funky noises i can hear wen i kick er over slowly, and still fires up n runs fins, but wen i take it out today it rode fine till it gets warm n then stars acting up again, same thing just bogs down n locks up n stalls wen i pull in the clutch, fires right back up thou, i was woundering if it could mayb b the needle bearing thatthe clutch sits on is mayb goin bad, i dunno just a guess

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
well, from your 1st post where you said that the rear wheels locked up when you pulled the clutch lever in, It sounds to me like a clutch assembly problem or broken clutch basket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i took the clutch cover today and all looks fine, basket has no visible damage, fiber discs and metal plates look fine, no shrapnal or metal parts in the oil, not even any metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, needle bearing that clutch rides on looked fine but the spacer/sleeve it rides in has wear marks from the needles, pry just natural wear not sure if that would mean anything or need replaced.

·
Registered
222 Posts
well looks like you might need to do a compression check, you might think it has good compression but only one way to tell is with a gauge. have you checked fuel petcock or the floats in the carb and the wires for cracks or corosion.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
well, I'm kinda confused because you said that the rear wheels locked up when you pulled the clutch in.
Now, just thinking out loud..... how about a bent brake rotor? you also said that it only happened when it got warm? correct?
Possibility that when the rotor and brake assembly gets really hot, it will "swell" causing the friction you are talking about.
Just a thought... Cause, materials will expand when heated.
Also, just thought of it....you might have a bad set of axle bearings.
Bad axle bearing will cause the axle assy. to "cock" causing extensive pressure against the brakes causing the wheels to lock up and pull the motor down of power.
Jack up the rear from the center of the swingarm and spin the wheels, also grab both wheels and shake back and forth to see if you have play.
Since the clutch assy. is in good shape. I'm not sold on an engine issue.
It does start up after this issue happens right? with the transmission in neutral?

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i do hav it up on my scissor stand and the back spins freely and theres no wiggle back and forth at all, i replaced my axle bearings back in july wen axle snapped and sent me cartwheeling, figured while i was in there replacing the axle id replacing the bearings, my brake rotor seems straight wen i put a metal ruler up to it, i did notice my pads are bout gone which dnt make too much sence since i replaced them just this last spring. i did rent me a compression tester today and its right inbetween 145 and 150. that dnt seen like much does it? what is stock suppost to b iv heard like 185 for this quad. and yes it does start up just fine still wen in nutral or wen in gear with the cluch pulled in. i also hav an 88 that i'v been restoring and just put a new top end on and they feel bout the same wen i kick them over, and that one is right on 180. i still havent took the stator cover off im gunna go out and inspect that now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i checked the stator and besides looking old it looks fine, traced the wires as far as i could without taking off my plastics and removing the tank, and couldnt find a crak or tear, so if i cant find another problem i guess ill b starting my winter resto a year sooner than i thought lol

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
well, the only other thing that I can think of is, possibly a lower rod bearing going bad.
It happened to me years ago on my 86 lt250 where the roller bearings wore out and bunched up on the crank pin.
that's when I did the long rod motor.
only problem with checking out that is, you need to split the cases.
Still, I'm confused about the rear wheels locking up "when you pulled the clutch in".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts