Everything2Stroke Forum banner

86 Xc racer

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  FTZPoweredBlaster 
#1 ·
Currently im in the process of building my 86 lt250 from the frame up iwould like to race XC on this quad and ride it in local coal pits. im not really sure what to do for suspension or exxhaust tho im having the cylinder bored and ported by Flotek for agressive trail riding, also having the head reshaped :2: what exhaust/carb combo do you great minded folk recomend? im aiming for good low end with killer mid and decent top end and over rev. as far as suspension goes what a arms swap out if any do or has anyone ever ran the burgards ? also how wide should i go because id like to fit between trees but also have awsome handling, for shocks iv heard good about yfz shocks but im not sure. any help would be greatly apreciated as im doing this for my senior project :thanks:

#3 ·
+2 Burgard a-arms and Elka or Works shocks. Don't try and switch shocks from another quad cause they won't fit. Even the lowest line of Works will be a night and day difference over stock suspension. Also, you should get a +2 axle. 10" wheels and 20" tires in th rear and 10" wheels with 21" tires on the front. You will probably want a full skid plate underneath also.

As far as a pipe, a Q pipe would be the best choice but I doubt you will find one under $700 so I would say go with a AAEN. Good all around pipe for a good price.

#7 · (Edited)
10" wheels and 20" tires in th rear and 10" wheels with 21" tires on the front.
Is that a typo? Have you ever been in the woods?

As far as a pipe, a Q pipe would be the best choice but I doubt you will find one under $700.
dudes bike is an '86.. so no go.. but even if the Q pipe was an option do you really think it would be a good woods pipe?

Currently im in the process of building my 86 lt250 from the frame up iwould like to race XC on this quad and ride it in local coal pits. im not really sure what to do for suspension or exxhaust tho im having the cylinder bored and ported by Flotek for agressive trail riding, also having the head reshaped :2: what exhaust/carb combo do you great minded folk recomend? im aiming for good low end with killer mid and decent top end and over rev. as far as suspension goes what a arms swap out if any do or has anyone ever ran the burgards ? also how wide should i go because id like to fit between trees but also have awsome handling, for shocks iv heard good about yfz shocks but im not sure. any help would be greatly apreciated as im doing this for my senior project :thanks:
I would leave the rear stock width.. +2's arms on the front and try to find a some front wheels with a 4+1 offset.. that would put you at stock 87-92 width with more travel, less bar rip, and less bump steer exaggeration. Custom wheels might be pricey, but its worth it as the steering will be dramatically improved.. trust me.. probably enough that you wont even need a damper to be competitive.. Since you can only use so much power in the woods i would get a cheap fmf pipe at first and put the money into the other things that are more important.. the pipe is not gonna matter nearly as much as suspension, tires, and rider comfort will.. On my LT I always wanted to try a -1" swingarm for the woods, I think it would really help traction and also turn tighter.. As for the carb I would go with a 35mm pwk a/s.. I absolutely loved mine back when i rode my LT250 in the woods. In fact i am trying to get it back from my buddy to use on my current trail machine. a 34 or 36 pj would probably work well too if your budget gets cramped. they can be found cheap on 250r's and cr125's

#4 ·
My bro runs burgard +2's with works shocks on his 87 lt & it's set-up for woods/xc. You don't want it too wide or you'll be hanging trees & stumps-around 46". Antivibe stem is pretty much a must...flexx bars are the bomb if you wanna spend the money. They are worth every penny imo. As far as an engine combo, since it is an 86, get it ported. Flotek does great work so you won't be disappointed. Get the head set-up to run race gas & a lot of compression...that'll help with low end grunt. Don't really need anything bigger than a 36mm carb. As far as as exhaust goes, you may wanna talk to some custom pipe builders and tell them what you are building & what you want. Stock airbox, good air filter, and good wheels & tires. You don't necessarily need bead locks, but you want a strong wheel to take some punishment. I run Maxxis Ballance Razr's on the front of both my quads...the radial design makes for a lighter tire and a better ride. The rear you can run whatever you want...I like the Holeshot gncc's or Maxxis Irazrs. Original Maxxis Razr's work good too & so do the original holeshots. If you are gonna race it, just make sure to practice your starts & dial in the carb to start on the first kick every time cause if you don't, your gonna be left in the dust when the flag drops.

#5 ·
any idea what an Aaen pipes gunna run me? i was planning on going with the elka burgard front end but it is gunna eat a chunk of budget.. but i can imagine very well worth it and i was thinking of having one of my welding buddys weld up an anti vib stem and iv been working on fixing up the frame i picked up any1 have a micro fisch for gussets? thanks for the quite replys iv been working on this project for sometime and want to do it right because i only payed 150 for the whole quad leaving lots of room for aftermarkets :thumbsup:

#6 ·
also any thoughts on octane boosting products from koltz and even lucas oil they seem to be good but are the trust worthy as a substitute for race gas as we dont have many localy distributors and prices are insane

#9 ·
get some burgard +2 a-arms, some works dual rate shocks, a burgard steering damper, and buy an antivibe stem or antivibe clamps. that will help alot with fatigue in a long race. for the motor you want the head cut to have around 180 to 185psi of compression since your having to stay on pump gas. get an fmf pipe, its the best for low end power and youll need all you can get in a harescramble race. also if carbon tech make reeds for 85-86 get a set of low-mid tension reeds they work great off the bottom end, and i'd get a 35 or 36pwk carb or 36tm mikuni.

#10 ·
yes stick with a 34 to 36 carb for low end or else get a 39 pwk and get a power pack for it. you can find them on starting line products.com they are supposed to give amazing low mid with the keihin 39's. also i would say go with the aaen pipe. fmf is ok but the aaen is a world difference with a ported/high compression setup. gear it 13-42 and have good tires. +2 in the front with some elka w/ressies and a good elka ressie in the rear.

#11 ·
ok so after reading all of your lovely idea's im going with Flow tech porting and head rechambered for high test pump, carbon tech mid tention reeds .20 over wise co (should i get the boost port cut into it or not?) rebuilding the crank (hot rods or vesha?) and a pwk 36 so the engine will be quite snappy i hope, as for the rest of the quad I am guessting the frame right now, will be getting +2 burgard's pep daul rates z400 front hubs (will the rotors work to?) banshee rear hubs revalving/rebuilding the rear shock all new bearings and bustings anti vib stem making fat foot pegs and i think that about somes it up what do you guys think? and thanks for all the feed back

#13 ·
Should be a good combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.