Everything2Stroke Forum banner

'86 restoration help

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Dkilby95 
#1 ·
i recently started to restore my '86 LT and while i wait for all my parts and what not i decided i might as well paint it now. only problem is i dont know what color to paint it. i want to keep it original (atleast the color of the frame) but what are some cool colors like an awesome dark metallic blue, or some silver paint or something? if you know of any please tell me also does anyone know where to get medium gold paint for the wheels?

If you have any other cool ideas you might as well post 'em along with stuff to watch out for when restoring.

#2 · (Edited)
Colors are all up to you. Look around to what people have done. Use something simple like MicroSoft Paint or even Excel / Word to doodle. Also up to your budget and intentions.

Powder coating is the way to go, but costs a pretty penny, too. Using paint (not powder) on certain areas simply won't last if you plan on trail riding. Engine parts get hot and oily, and regular paint will peel quickly. A-arms get pummeled by brush and stones. So if you paint it and ride it, expect to touch it up. Find hi-temp engine or exhaust paint, but remember that some of them have a bake cycle (read the directions).

Powder just last longer, as you are baking / melting a powder onto the surface and all the pores, crevices, and surface blemishes. And it cures harder and heavier than paint. Powder coating isn't hard to do yourself on a small scale. You can get a system for under $100, but then need an old kitchen stove (oven) for baking.

But I imagine most people will paint since it's easy, it looks good, and it's affordable. Just be sure to prep surfaces really good. Just be sure to prep surfaces really good. And just be sure to prep surfaces really good. (did I make myself clear? ha) If you can sand or bead blast all the old coatings away, that's your best bet. Then clean it up good with some degreaser or soap/water (or some kind of an solution acid dip if you know anyone with a setup). Wipe it clean with mineral spirits, isopropyl alchohol, or brake cleaner. Paint with patience. Multiple thin coats, not 1-2 thick coats. Let it dry. Don't touch it. In fact, bake it if you can with an oven or even a heat gun.

There are some textured powder coatings, too. Orange peel, crackle, etc. And I've seen some a-arms and frames even painted with crap like rhino-lining (bedliner).

For quad racers, I always stick with blue frame, gray / silver a-arms, blue bars, black steer stem and tie rods, natural swing arm, silver rad screen, and then the engine blue with semi-polished / natural head and cases. It flows nice, looks like stock, and looks great with the yellow fenders and decals. I've seen some yellow frames and yellow engines and it...looks awful IMO. And the all-blue engine is original, but boring. It doesn't take much to make the case covers and head look cool (bead blast, wire wheel, light polish).

#3 ·
I argee with Dmoney, Lts looks best stock. I've gotten two frames done by a local powdercoat place here in Canada it's cost me roughly 150 for them to strip it and coat it. I've never done a metallic but I imagine it would cost more. I was surprised how cheap it was, I would suggest getting a quote from a local place before you try painting the frame it really holds up well. I dunno if anyone makes decals for the lt250s? I couldn't find any for my 87, I love the look of the 85-86 decals.

#4 ·
The silver fenders & black frame combo's look nice, too. Especially with the polished/chrome engine, swinger, wheels, and such.

Then someone has a black/green/chrome Monster Energy LT500R that's sa-weet.

$150 to strip and P/C a frame? Dang...I need to investigate that option further locally!!!

#6 ·
I went with candy blue p/c over silver mirror w/ 50/50 flake. the silver base seemed to candy it even more. A bolt kit adds nice detail and makes it a breeze bolt it back up with labeled bags. Make sure nothin dirty is touchin anything clean and you will be very happy with your build.

#12 ·
i used ford blue and its pretty damn close. i like the stock look the best nothing beats suzuki's sweet blue and yellow.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.