Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 ltr250 piston/sleeve pic. Just took the exhaust off to look at the sludge build up situation coming from where exhaust attaches to top end. Piston and sleeve seem to be a bit scored, definitely not a polished finish on em. Wanted to get a professional opinion on it before replacing the piston or honing the sleeve wall. Don't think their in terrible shape and I can't imagine these being the original parts. Based on the firmness of the kick start I'd say she has decent compression. Opinions?

Definitely getting the typical sludge build up on/in the manifold (read this is typical)...or is that the header? Apologize for not knowing all the terms. At any rate, does this build up come from oil mix making it's way through the exhaust port on the piston? Running 32:1 in fuel, is that to much oil? She smokes quit a bit when first started but after warming up just the typical 2 stroke smoke.

IMG_1791.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks in advance for any input. Cleaning her up today, wanna get all the dirt and grime off. Engine de-greaser ok to use for cleaning off the engine grime? What about inside the exhaust components? I'm sure the silencer needs to be repacked and I'll get to that later but would like to get the grime out of the other parts of the exhaust. The build up you see, it's from years of running and likely very little cleaning by previous owner....

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
The piston thru the exhaust port looks fine; maybe a set of rings is in order but you said the compression seems good. Maybe you should continue to enjoy the machine as is. The others with more riding experience might give you some advice on a cleaner burning 2 stroke oil.
JT
:Cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah rings for sure. Using Lucas 2 stroke oil (i believe). Got new coolant (engine ice) today, gonna flush it tonight or tomorrow, and refill (a bit low actually). Oh and I pulled a blue piece of silicon or rubber out of the radiator today, not sure whats up with that but glad I could see it and get it out of there, hopefully nothing else hiding further in. Itching to tare this thing down, need the Clymer manual asap. I can get by without the manual changing pistons and sleeves but I need/want to inspect everything. The compression is "good" but not like new. I can turn it over with my hand, with a bit of force, sure rings would get me to like new though. As for enjoying it as is, I am definitely enjoying this little two stroke, but I like to tinker and work with my hands soooooo rebuild it is, hehehe.

Anyone have a line on replacement/adjustable front A arms, rocker arms or whatever the hell their called? What about replacement shocks all around, newer and adjustable front shocks? Decided I'm not just gonna restore her but also upgrade her too. Thought about replacing the kick start with electric (add battery etc) but I kind of like it now, bruised but none the worse for wear lol. Last thing, from neutral to first, she hops forward a little bit, not bad but I'm curious, is it the clutch cable and just needs to be adjusted or could it be a sign of worse things to come?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned all the crud off exhaust port and polished. Exhaust was loose prior to cleaning fits snug as a glove now. New plug, the one manual suggests. The hesitation going into the powerband, gone. Yeah baby!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah rings for sure. Using Lucas 2 stroke oil (i believe). Got new coolant (engine ice) today, gonna flush it tonight or tomorrow, and refill (a bit low actually). Oh and I pulled a blue piece of silicon or rubber out of the radiator today, not sure whats up with that but glad I could see it and get it out of there, hopefully nothing else hiding further in. Itching to tare this thing down, need the Clymer manual asap. I can get by without the manual changing pistons and sleeves but I need/want to inspect everything. The compression is "good" but not like new. I can turn it over with my hand, with a bit of force, sure rings would get me to like new though. As for enjoying it as is, I am definitely enjoying this little two stroke, but I like to tinker and work with my hands soooooo rebuild it is, hehehe.

Anyone have a line on replacement/adjustable front A arms, rocker arms or whatever the hell their called? What about replacement shocks all around, newer and adjustable front shocks? Decided I'm not just gonna restore her but also upgrade her too. Thought about replacing the kick start with electric (add battery etc) but I kind of like it now, bruised but none the worse for wear lol. Last thing, from neutral to first, she hops forward a little bit, not bad but I'm curious, is it the clutch cable and just needs to be adjusted or could it be a sign of worse things to come?
I wouldn't go dumping all that time and money into an 86. If you want to put that kind of time and money into one do one of the later model years. 91/92 is my favorite but there isn't much difference between them after 87. From 87 on they have a 6 speed, exhaust valve, better suspension, nicer seat and a heavier swingarm. 87 had an odd sized intake and can be hard to find reeds for. Keep the one you have to ride while you rebuild another one.

Whichever year you rebuild do not put the top end back together with the oem washers they use as spacers between the piston and wristpin bearing. They break and take out your top end. The fix is to use a shorter wristpin bearing out of a 99 RM250 and aluminum washers. Haven't seen the washers on ebay for a while but you can always get them from Jerry Hall. I don't think he has a website but just search Hall's Precision Racing Products Glendale AZ and you will find his contact number. Same washers for every year lt250 and lt500.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts